Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

connecting DirecTV to Receiver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   LilBro

LilBro

Auditioning

• 14 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 09:34 AM

Okay, I admit it. I'm gretting old and forgetful. I had to tear down my AV setup so we could move the furniture out of the room for new carpeting. Well, when I went to reconnect everything, I forgot how to connect my Kenwood VR-509 receiver so I could run the audio through it. The set up is:

DirecTV cable box
Kenwood VR-509 receiver
Kenwood turntable
Kenwood 7 band Equalizer (for turntable)
Panasonic DVD player
Sharp VCR
Radio Shack Dual Drive casette deck
Toshiba 32" CRT

The DirecTV has coax & S-video out, and RCA cable out. The Panny has toslink out and RCA cable out. The VCR has S-video and RCA cable out. The tape deck is RCA cable only. The TV has S-video and coax in with RCA cable for audio in/out. (You can also turn off the TV speakers, but I don't always like using the receiver for just TV watching.) I can get sound from the TV, but not through the receiver.

I want to be able to switch between the VCR, DVD, and TV audio channels on the receiver. I was able to do that before. The remote switched between DVD, Video1 and Video3. What did I miss?

Should I run the RCA from the sat box to the receiver first and then to the VCR? I have it going from the sat box to the VCR to the receiver.

Thank you all.

PS - If this is double posted, my apologies. I receive a vBulletin error on my first attempt.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted April 07 2007 - 09:53 AM

Hmm... Despite the thread title “Connecting Direct TV to Receiver,” It looks like you’re trying to connect system?

Quote:
Should I run the RCA from the sat box to the receiver first and then to the VCR? I have it going from the sat box to the VCR to the receiver.
There’s your problem. Connect the Direct TV straight to the receiver. The Direct TV should have two sets of audio and video outputs, so you can send the second set to the VCR, if you want to be able to record programming. (If your receiver has enough digital inputs, you might want to use the Direct TV’s digital audio output instead of the red/white RCA jacks.)

Quote:
I want to be able to switch between the VCR, DVD, and TV audio channels on the receiver.
Connect the VCR’s red and white (audio) outputs to the receiver. Connect the DVD player’s digital output (either coaxial or optical) to the receiver. As far TV audio, see instructions for Direct TV, above.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow