What's new

Swords (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So I bought a Katana in Tokyo recently and whenever I look at it, I am torn between a strong desire to make love to it or chop someone's head off. It is that awesome. Late last friday, I walked a friend to her car with it unsheathed (the sword) and felt like da man. My new companion's name is Akira.

Anyway, I want more. Specifically, a huge medieval two-handed great sword, plain, stern and forbidding. Then a battle axe next.

Any sword/blade collectors on HTF? Have you any reputable online retailers to recommend? Or offline even, in the New England or the NYC metro area?

--
H

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well.. I just bought a Husqvarna 350 52cc gas chainsaw (the Nascar one...) I have had some strange desires to put my Subaru on blocks on my front lawn and hang a frying pan on my oak in my backyard and put some shotgun slugs through it. ;)

When you're free, you and I can go on a rampage through the NYC metro area. I'm in northern NJ. You with your Katana and me with my Husky. Lets rock!

Jay

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The obvious source of good info would be the swordforum.com a site full of biter martial arts who have as much love for stainless steel as HTF members have for white van speakers.

Otherwise I'm more of an medieval European longsword type of guy.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Jay :emoji_thumbsup:. Every once in a while, a man needs to go out and fuck something up :cool:.

Garrett, I took a cursory look at that site before, looks awfuly serious... I guess I'll have to dig in. Is a "longsword" the same as a "great sword"? That would be the exact thing I am looking for, more specifically, a 6ft german Zweihander.

Can you give me the when where why how much of what you have?

Since I don't intend to actually use these things, stainless steel does not bother me (I would imagine that stainless steel Zweihander would take a prohibitively considerable effort to wield).

--
H

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Holadem - if it's not a rude question, how much was the sword, please? I've been curious about buying one for some time.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
7,000 YEN == ~59 USD or ~30 GBP according to XE.com. That was the most affordable I could find (this other store had it a 6800 but no credit card), but I wasn't exactly looking, assuming they would be out of my price range, and kinda stumbled upon these in a major tourist area (Asakusa).

It's pretty basic, the sheath is black (wood I think), handle and black and gray. The blade is blunt stainless steel - tis a display sword. I have seen the same "model" in several stores and would not be surprised to find it online.

I have a picture that I can upload when I get home. I can check the length as well.

The costlier stuff is fancier, sometimes longer, always more colorful, with various inscriptions and engravings (dragons and such) on the sheath, blade and handle. They went up to like 80,000 YEN...

--
H

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
"longsword" and "greatsword" are very generic terms. But for simplicity longsword = 1 hand, greatsword = 2 hand

I don't know what makes a greatsword the 'zweihander' of your dreams, but the most popular 2-hander is probably the scottish claymore

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Garret. This is more what I am looking for:

That thing is 6 feet of Teutonic goodness :D.

--
H

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well maybe I'm lazy but my Winchester Super X2 semi-automatic 12 gauge can lay down a swath of destruction beyond the capacity of mere swordsmen.

Actually I do own a battle axe. My grandfather was the town blacksmith of San Jose circa 1920 and he was into fabricating such things.

When I want to get into cold steel, I get out my Lee-Enfield No. 1 Mk. III with the sword bayonet. The rifle is four foot long and the bayonet extends another two feet plus. "The sun never sets on the British Empire, because even God doesn't trust an Englishman in the dark." :laugh:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

So that's why few armies carry swords into battle these days! Gunpowder.

Thanks Dennis! :)

Lucky no one approached with a $59.00 handgun while Holadem was "da man".

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well when it comes right down to it, if ever I am threatened I may unleash the ultimate weapon....a pocket sized sabre-toothed cat....the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin. Twenty pounds of muscle, fangs, and claws.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
You all are not a match for my Death-Batteries:

All shall bow down to the power of the AA...

htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Jay

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
Another link you may want to try:
http://www.chainmailstore.com/scamerchantsrow

And then click on weapons.

It's a listing of some SCA merchants. They have to register so obviously, there are a multitude that are not there but it's a place to start. Some of them may be a bit pricey but definitely good replicas.

Also is ReplicaGunSwords.com Look under Medieval and then the appropriate weapons.

Garrett, Holadem - very nice.
Dennis - so that is the infamous Fluffy Pumpkin. The name is obviously a clever disguise. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't imagine noone's yet referenced the power of silica or the Mall of the Americas! :D

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I'd be treated to the large image of the Fluff Pump when I opened this thread! :emoji_thumbsup: :laugh:

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I got replicas of Anduril ( Aragon's) and Glamdring (Gandolf's)..but these are the cheaper ones out there. I plan to collect movie weapons to diplay in my next HT at our planned new home.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Holadem, many thanks for the info.

Henry, I know it was a joke, but the reason why armies originally moved into gunpowder and away from bows and arrows and swords was for another reason entirely. Quite simply, guns were less deadly than a longbow, but using a longbow effectively required years of training while you can learn the basics of aiming and shooting a gun in a few minutes. Hence, you could afford to put together a bigger army armed with guns than longbows. Thus, there was a trade-off of lowered accuracy/range for greatly increased numbers. It wasn't until well in the 19th century that handguns/rifles became more accurate and had greater range than longbows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks