What's new

Favorite obscure album (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
While contemplating this post I Googled “The Masked Marauders” and was amazed at the amount of material available.
You’ve never heard of them, right?
In October of 1969 a review of the forthcoming album appeared in Rolling Stone. The album's recordings were the combined efforts from a one-off session by John Lennon, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan.
The Masked Marauders was a hoax by Rolling Stone editor Greil Marcus. Under the pseudonym T.M. Christian (a reference to Terry Southern’s novel The Magic Christian), the review was intended to parody the “supergroup” trend then taking place (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Blind Faith and Led Zeppelin) and was also inspired by Great White Wonder, a double album of unreleased Dylan recordings often credited as the first bootleg.
Turns out, not everyone got the humor. There was such a demand for the disc that a band was put together to record a version of the previously nonexistent record.
Which I bought and liked.
I never knew anyone else with a copy but I do recall constantly spotting the discs in cutout bins for years.

Here’s a track list:

· I Can't get No Nookie (The Masked Marauders)
· Duke of Ealr (Williams, Edwards, Dixon)
· Cow Pie (The Masked Marauders)
· I Am the Japanese Sandman (Rang Tang Ding Dong) (A.Williams)
· The Book Of LOve (W.Davis, C.Patrick, G.Malone)
· Later (W.Davis, C.Patrick, G.Malone)
· More or Less Hudson's Bay Again (The Masked Marauders)
· Season of the Witch (Donovan Leich)
· Saturday Night at the Cow Place (The Masked Marauders)

Apparently upwards of 100,000 copies sold. Less obscure than I thought.

In 2003, Rhino Records, under its Handmade label, remastered the album, releasing a numbered edition of 2,000 copies under the title The Masked Marauders - The Complete Deity Recordings. They’re sold out!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
good topic, have to thi k about it.

who was actually on the released MM record.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
The Cleanliness and Godliness Skiffle Band were a Berkeley based, acid influenced, skiffle band. The were formed, possibly, in Berkeley sometime around 1967. They released one LP in 1968. In 1969 the members of the group were co-opted to record the spoof Masked Marauders LP

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think my favorite obscure or forgotten lp (now known as cd's) is

the friends of mr. cairo.
jon anderson and vangelis
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...0:09fexq95ldae

i remember the first time i heard that was o a local philly fm station that had a show on sunday nights hosted by ed sciaky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Sciaky).

it was called the "sunday night alternative".
it was a kinds of stuff like the jon and vangelis record.
and it was my favorite thing to listen to.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm sure this isn't the first time this topic has come up, but what the heck. :)

Easy choice: Compendium, by Mr. So & So.

TonyD, I have that Jon/ Vangelis disc (on CD, not LP) too. Not bad. :)

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Mabe not as obscure, but I have been wanting to hear In the Court of the Crimson King.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
yeah thats not obscure, might be their most known album.

i have the mr cairo on vinyl and cd

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Don't have the Mr Cairo album, but I do have the first Jon and Vangelis "Short Stories" LP which was OK, but not much else.

One of my favorite LP's "Matrix IX" by a band of the same name which honestly has one of the most beautiful jazz fusion compositions I've ever heard from anybody name 'Clea.' The group has reformed several times since the 70's and hopefully someday there old stuff will get released because my LP is a bit worn.

Probably my all time favorite LP wasn't so obscure, but I do think very underrated album from Rick Wakeman called Criminal Record. Loved Six Wives and King Arthur, but the number of hours I listened to CR is College and Grad School was almost sad.

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

I used to have the LP, but I haven't heard it in over 15 years! I tried :frowning: :D

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I have two favorite obscure albums:

'Land of Opportunity' by E*I*E*I*O

'Mud, Lies and Shame' by 'The Wild Seeds'

Both groups specialize in 'rootsy' (Americana) rock 'n roll.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks for re-starting this topic! It gave me the whim to look up Mr. So & So on Wikipedia, and I discovered that they're back together (they split up in 2000) and have a new album in the works! :)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

Most definitely not obscure! It was a very popular album in the southeast back in he 70's. Their other album, Sufficently Breathless, was quite popular too.

My obscure album is Gene Parsons, one time Byrd drummer, Kindling. It's a hippie bluegrass album. It was recorded on the cheap. Clarence White and Gene played all the instruments. It features the song Sonic Bummer about Gene's high sierra cabin getting buzzed by jets from the Torrence, Kalifornie air force base. The song was a novelty on FM radio for a month or two back in the 70's. Now, Gene, the song, and the album have slipped into obscurity. I don't think it's ever been on CD.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Captain Beyond is ABSOLUTELY an obscure record. I defy you to poll random people in any city in the US and find more than a couple who've heard of it. (Limit it to people under 40 and you probably won't find too many outside this thread.) Just because it was moderately popular in your area 30 years ago doesn't make it unobscure. :)

Excellent album, though.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Sorry Aaron, I disagree. Captain Beyond are not obscure just because the masses in 2007 don't know them.
We're vinyl junkies. This is what we do.

I could poll random people and find that most of them could not name the vice president. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks