-

Photo
- - - - -

Series DVDs you had to import from another country

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
113 replies to this topic

#101 of 114 JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 10:05 AM

I live in the U.S., and I've bought a TON of Region 2 British comedy, due to the fact that they were never available here in the States. Many of them, however have since become available here, but I didn't know if they ever would. Some of the ones I imported are:

League of Gentlemen (all 3 series, christmas special, movie & live shows)
Look Around You
Spaced
The Mighty Boosh
I'm Alan Partridge
Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
The Day Today
Brass Eye
People Like Us
Human Remains
Marion and Geoff
I Am Not An Animal
Father Ted
Black Books
Big Train
Shaun of the Dead (at the time, I didn't even know if it would be released in the States THEATRICALLY)
Hot Fuzz
Bo Selecta
The Smoking Room
Nick Frost's Danger 50,000 Volts
Little Britain
Severance
Peep Show
The Armando Ianucci Show
Fun at the Funeral Parlor
Green Wing
Stand up specials from Ricky Gervais & Dylan Moran

I'm sure there are others, but I can't think of them at the moment...

#102 of 114 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts

Posted April 13 2009 - 12:55 PM

As a U.S. resident, the only TV imports I've sprung for so far are the R2 sets of ADAM ADAMANT LIVES! and MAN IN A SUITCASE.

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#103 of 114 Nebiroth

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor

• 737 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 12:44 AM

As I live outside of the USA, I've lost count of the number of imports.

#104 of 114 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted April 14 2009 - 03:07 AM

The only thing I ever had imported was the "Porky's Ultimate Collection" from the States. Maple released a god awful set here in Canada consisting of full screen transfers that were on par with the quality of a worn VHS tape. The 'Ultimate Collection' set was not available here what-so-ever. Still the case actually. I was hell bent on having these in widescreen and having them imported was the only way to go about it.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#105 of 114 nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
As I live outside of the USA, I've lost count of the number of imports.

I'm the same which why I just listed a few examples lol

#106 of 114 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 08:16 AM

Rich Man, Poor Man (both mini series), The Six Million Dollar Man (seasons 1 & 2) and The Bionic Woman (seasons 1 and 2) from the UK. All six of those sets were a 'must have' for my 70s TV on DVD collection. Well...that and I got tired of waiting for them to come out here in the good ole USA.

#107 of 114 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 02:32 PM

I just barely ordered not too long ago from Amazon UK:
Quantum Leap Season Two and Three

#108 of 114 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,222 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 10:40 PM

Since they decided to stop selling DVDs of Baywatch in the US after the third season, I took the liberty of getting the German Sets. (They have the English language Version since I do not "Spretchen Deutch"!) Posted Image Don't ask me how, since the European DVDs are supposed to be a differant Region Code than the US, but for some reason they actually WORK on my DVD Player! Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 36,333 :biggrin: ( 746 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,395   :B)   Serial Chapters - 1,201 :B)

#109 of 114 cajunhillbilly

cajunhillbilly

Screenwriter

• 1,732 posts

Posted April 14 2009 - 11:30 PM

I bought several dvds from VEI in Canada- Riptide season 2 and 3, all 3 seasons of Hardcastle and McCormick, Kate and Allies season 1-5, Street Justice both seasons. I am thinking of getting The Collector season 1 from Morningstar Ent. I have gotten Bionic Woman season 1 and 2 from Down Under. I am thinking of getting season 3 from Germany. I just ordered Fall Guy season 2 from Britain as well. Plus I got Blood Ties and Flash Gordon from UK.

#110 of 114 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted April 15 2009 - 06:31 AM

Oh lord, this could take a while -

Space Rangers (Oz)
Red Dwarf 1-8 and just ordered 'Back to Earth' (UK)
Quantum Leap 2-5 (UK) (Single Sided, Music)
Doctor Who (Classic) (UK)
Doctor Who (New Series) (UK) The R1 releases lost some commentary tracks due to music issues)
Life on Mars (UK)
Ashes to Ashes (UK)
Deamons (UK)
Tripods 1&2 (UK)
Shaun the Sheep (UK)
Lovejoy (Complete) (UK)
Spitting Image (UK)
H2O: Just Add Water (OZ)
AbFab (UK)
Torchwood (UK)
One Foot in the Grave (Complete) (UK)
Good Life (UK)
Charlie Jade (UK)
Jeeves & Wooster (UK)
Bit of Fry & Laurie (UK)
Dark Angel (widescreen) (OZ)
Buffy (widescreen) (OZ)
Comic Strip Presents (UK)
Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (OZ) (uncut versions)
The Prisoner (UK) (new remastered restored set, BEAUTIFUL)
Dangermouse (UK) (complete set)
Chef! (UK)
Jonathan Creek (UK)
Relic Hunter S2 (UK) (only full season releases and in widescreen, no not cropped, it apparently all 3 seasons were filmed widescreen)
The Brittas Empire (UK)
Robocop: The Series (OZ)
Sapphire & Steel (OZ) (out of print, considered the best presentation)
Green Wing (UK)
Delta State (CA)
Bromwell High (UK)
Hamish McBeth (UK)
Chilly Beach S1 (CA)
Blake's 7 (UK)

.... my fingers are tired

#111 of 114 smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted April 15 2009 - 09:37 AM

Well I just ordered my first R2 release (you all inspired me). I got "The Saint" monchrome set from Amazon UK for $65 US including shipping. I didn't think that was too bot bad for 71 hour long episodes. I already have the R1 Avengers (Riggs) and Dangerman/Secret Agent, so I feel pretty confident that I will like it on a blind buy.

While I do have an old player that can output PAL (just can't be made region free), I was able to use it to verify my projector can output PAL. So now I just need to break down and get a region free/everything player. I'm thinking about the Oppo DV-981HD or DV-980H.

#112 of 114 Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted April 15 2009 - 09:48 AM

This is sort of information. This is more for fans of the German detective series "Derrick" which had over 200 programs. This is also for those who can understand German. The series is being released starting with the first program. This series is only in german. There are now 3 volumes, each with circa 5 DVDs with circa 3 one hour programs per disc. You can find it on Amazon.de. This series has been shown in many countries with the local language dubbed in. I don't think it was ever shown in the US but may have been on Canada TV. In the later programs the ZDF had subtitles - I suspect the DVDs will have then eventually have subtitles.

#113 of 114 Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 04:51 PM

In case anyone is interested, Mr. Terrific will be released in Germany next month.

#114 of 114 progrocktv

progrocktv

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted June 12 2009 - 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Brock
In case anyone is interested, Mr. Terrific will be released in Germany next month.

WOW! WOW! WOW! Now that's one I thought I'd *NEVER* see on DVD! Looks like I have ANOTHER one to cross off my signature.

I just ordered a copy! THANKS for the info!!!! Posted Image
My current "obscurities" wishlist:
The Magician (Starring Bill Bixby)/ Project UFO/ Search (Probe)/ T.H.E. Cat/ It Takes a Thief/ My Mother the Car/ Man from Atlantis/ The Goodies (season sets R1)/ Hey Landlord!/Captain Nice/ Green Hornet/ '66 Batman (yea, right!)/

Forum Nav Content I Follow