What's new

Series DVDs you had to import from another country (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Reading some of the various threads about people having to import their favorite series from other countries got me to thinking about the subject. If you’re here in the U.S., you have to import German DVDs of Bonanza in order to get season sets. If you’re in the U.K., you have to import sets of “Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea” from the U.S.

Personally, I live in the U.S. and have only imported one TV-on-DVD set, the one and only season of “Man in a Suitcase” from Umbrella Entertainment in Australia. I’d be curious as to what series people are importing from other countries because you can’t get it in your homeland, i.e., in what country do you reside, which series did you import, and from what country did you obtain it?

Mary_P

Second Unit
I live in the US. I bought Bill Bryson's "Notes from a Small Island" from Australia IIRC. I bought a few "Ally McBeal" sets from the UK -- the speed-up is annoying, but at least it's *out* and AFAIK the music's intact.

Also, not strictly a TV series, but TV-series-related: the Australian "Serenity" DVD, which had many more extras than any other country's release. Supposedly those features and more will be out in the US on a special edition coming in July.

I've also bought a few music titles from the UK, from artists like Cliff Richard who aren't generally released in the US.

Mary

Carlos V III

Stunt Coordinator
Live in the U.S.
Bought Blake's 7 from Amazon UK, since the US release was cancelled with no explanation and no word since on if it will ever be released in R1.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Obscure British stuff like "Spaced" and "Garth Marenghi's Darkplace," neither of which is likely to turn up on American labels (alas)

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
I live in Canada and have imported the following series that are not yet available in Region 1 format:

BEWITCHED - seasons 7 and 8 (region 2) from Japan

BIONIC WOMAN - seasons 1 and 2 (region 2) from the UK

MARRIED WITH CHILDREN - seasons 7,8,9 and 10 (region 2) from Brussels, Belgium

CYBILL seasons 1 , 2 and 3 (region 2)

SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN - season 1 (region 2)

BAYWATCH - season 1 & 2 (region 4)

DAWSON'S CREEK -Complete collection 34 disc set (region 2)

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I've gotten just about all the sixties ITC spy/detective stuff from Umbrella and some equivalent shows from Network. As I've run through those, I'm beginning to shift over to American shows of the same genre (Mission: Impossible, Wild Wild West, VTTBOTS...looking forward to The Fugitive) now that they're finally being released.

I also like older videotape format programs from ITV (Thames, ABC, London Weekend etc.) that Network have been releasing in the UK--like Public Eye, the Power Game, and Redcap. I think these are a minority interest even over there, so they'll never be released in the US.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason

There's one called 'The Morning After - the official Persuaders appreciation society'* , that while nominally a Persuaders site, has a page with photos and details for each of the relevant series.

*Sorry, I can't provide a direct link on this forum--haven't posted enough to be allowed.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I live in the U.S. and I bought the complete series of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" from amazon.co.uk. The only Region 1 release is a few episodes by Collectors' Choice and those episodes are in pretty ragged shape.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I imported Gimme a Break season 2 and Road to Avonlea Seasons 1-6 from Canada. I also want the Kate & Allie Canadian releases.

Japan has some DVDs of shows that I might want, but they are expensive and I don't know what the contents are, or whether they are unedited or what is done to them.

What is the situation with the music and edits on MwC in other lands? I understand the cut season 4 shows are available uncut in Germany on the season 4 set.

Luc Roussel

Agent
I live in Canada.

I bought from Amazon.co.uk the box series of ¨Thriller ¨from Brian Clemens...A must ! I have the whole series: 43 episodes and paid half the price of the series one sold here in Canada/USA. !
Order from Amazon.fr the marvelous series ¨ Holocauste¨ with Meryl Streep and James Wood. It has the original english track included.
From Great Britain, i ordered ¨Footballer`s Wives¨ series 1 to 3, ¨Bad Girls¨ series 1 to 7.
Just recently, i ordered from Australia, the box collection of ¨Skippy the Kangooroo¨...

I have since last year, from France, the all seasons of ¨Six Millions Dollars Man¨ and ¨Bionic Woman¨. They all included the original English sound track!!!!

Love the DVD`s from france, they all include the French and English soundtrack.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
This one isn't a Series (It's a Movie derived from a series). However, the Copy of "The Man Called Flintstone"that I just received in the Mail from Amazon.com has a Canadian Label on it. (I heard something about it was released in Canada but before it could be released in the US there was some kind of Copyright Issue and it was "Recalled" from from the Market).

Funny thing though, Although it has a Canadian Label when I played it it first displayed the usual "FBI Warning" on it. I wonder why it didn't have a "RCMP Warning" on it instead? :laugh:

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd

As far as the actual episode goes, so far, they all appear to be complete and uncut (i'm just getting into season 9)..only exceptions are the beginnings with the alternate theme music and some of the end credits where the originals had more actual storyline of the episodes winding things up...some in these sets just have a freeze frame picture from that segment ...some still have the original audio of the scene where others just have the end theme music. Example...in the episode where the Bundy's are at war with the Darcy's over property rights, the original ending has Al and Jefferson wrestling on the ground over an apple....in the DVD version it just shows a still clip from this scene with the end music.

Regarding the season 4 cuts, yes, the German one apparently is complete but the Dutch version (which is the ones I have above) is the same as the version that was released here with eps cuts.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
Live in the UK. So far I've imported from the US all the Gatchaman boxsets, RahXephon, Neon Genesis Evangelion, The Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Godzilla Animated Series, The Avengers, Voltron, Dragonball Z Seeason Sets...

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
From the UK to to US:

Married...With Children, seasons 4-10
The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, series 1-3
Rising Damp, series 1-4 (plus the christmas special and feature film)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks