Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal, we might have a problem - Children of Men (pls. ignore posts before #22)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
80 replies to this topic

#1 of 81 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 08:40 AM

clickage

Quote:
'Children of Men' hit stores earlier this week on March 27, as one of the most highly-anticipated HD DVD releases on the format thus far. Unfortunately, no Xbox 360 owners have had any success playing it, at least on the add-on drive. Many readers have written in that the disc simply won't play on the drive. Even multiple returns of the disc have produced the same issue with subsequent copies.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt.

#2 of 81 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 09:26 AM

This thread could be helpful if the original post weren't so focused on being snarky.

#3 of 81 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 09:28 AM

Bummer. I guess that's why they include the SD version on those combos. Posted Image If the HD doesn't work then try the SD. Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 81 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 09:46 AM

More snark.

Also, Brett, has the article you linked to changed, or did you do some creative editing?

Quote:
'Children of Men' hit stores earlier this week on March 27, as one of the most highly-anticipated HD DVD releases on the format thus far, and as our Kenneth Brown wrote in his recent review of the disc, it apparently boasts stellar video and audio. Unfortunately, more than a few Xbox 360 owners have had issues playing it on the device's popular HD DVD add-on drive, with many of our readers writing in to say that the disc simply won't play, and that even multiple returns of the disc have produced the same issue.

We should note that since word of these issues first emerged, readers have also written in to say that the disc plays back fine on their Xbox 360 devices, while others have reported playback problems with the disc on Toshiba's XA2 player (we had no such issues on our XA2).

#5 of 81 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
More snark.

Jest or rib poking is more like it, but for those overly sensitive it may come across as snark I suppose. Besides, where's the snark police in the BR threads?

Anyway, enjoy Children of Men. Great film, saw it in the theater. If it came out in BR I'd buy it in a second.
Death before Streaming!

#6 of 81 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,125 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Matthews
More snark.

Also, Brett, has the article you linked to changed, or did you do some creative editing?

The article changed. I clicked on it earlier and it said what Brett quoted.

#7 of 81 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:10 AM

Indeed. I don't recall anything about the XA2 having trouble playing it earlier. Snarkster that am I, I certainly would have quoted that as well. Posted Image

Quote:
We should note that since word of these issues first emerged, readers have also written in to say that the disc plays back fine on their Xbox 360 devices, while others have reported playback problems with the disc on Toshiba's XA2 player (we had no such issues on our XA2).

#8 of 81 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Jest or rib poking is more like it, but for those overly sensitive it may come across as snark I suppose. Besides, where's the snark police in the BR threads?
You mean those BR threads started by HD DVD advocates specifically for the purpose of snarking over a recent development? Could you point me to those threads?

Also, you're right, one man's snark is another man's jest. I could say one would have to be overly dull to see this instance of snark as plain jest, but that would just be confrontational. Kind of like accusing others of over-sensitivity.

#9 of 81 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:11 AM

Much ado about nothing. This is not the first disk that has had some problems, nor the last. Both camps have had pretty equal issues with disks that won't run on one player or the other. My Sammy has had more than a few issues with disks as has my add-on.

The few I have had were fixed within a few weeks with updates from the manufacturers.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#10 of 81 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:36 AM

Quote:
You mean those BR threads started by HD DVD advocates specifically for the purpose of snarking over a recent development? Could you point me to those threads?

Well I didn't start the thread so.........your point to me was? What exactly?

BTW, pick a handful of BR threads and you'll find plenty of "snarky" or "rib poking" comments from the HD side. What's good for the goose I suppose.

Quote:
I could say one would have to be overly dull to see this instance of snark as plain jest, but that would just be confrontational. Kind of like accusing others of over-sensitivity.

True, you could say that. I could say one would have to emotionally unstable to get upset about a silly disc format, but that would be confrontational so I won't say it.
Death before Streaming!

#11 of 81 James_Kiang

James_Kiang

Screenwriter

• 1,166 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:54 AM

Well, I can confirm that my copy that arrived today from Amazon plays fine in my HD-DVD add-on. Looks mighty fine, too. Posted Image

#12 of 81 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
My point was, this thread was started for that purpose. Threads on both sides end up there all the time, but I haven't seen many BD threads started by HD DVD advocates just for snarkiness' sake.

Quote:
True, you could say that. I could say one would have to emotionally unstable to get upset about a silly disc format, but that would be confrontational so I won't say it.
As someone once said to me, what's good for the goose.

Anyway, back to the ostensible topic of this thread. As luck would have it, I find myself in the same position as James. I came home today to find my copy of Children of Men waiting for me (ordered from Amazon with Super Saver shipment late Monday night -- wow!). It loaded up flawlessly and jumping around for a few spot checks, I saw nothing amiss.

Can't wait to watch it next week (stupid friend getting married in Florida this week is gunking up my movie plans Posted Image ) and, as Thomas said, clearly much ado about nothing!

#13 of 81 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 12:21 PM

Quote:

BTW, pick a handful of BR threads and you'll find plenty of "snarky" or "rib poking" comments from the HD side. What's good for the goose I suppose.

All I know is that I can't wait to get Children of Men on Blu Ray.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#14 of 81 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 12:38 PM

That's too bad, cause you're gonna have to.

*rib-poke*

*jest*

#15 of 81 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,627 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 03:33 PM

Please Lord don't let the HTF adopt a "smackdown" atmosphere...Posted Image

I like BrettB since he likes Star Wars....but this might be a bit better if he actually had a HD DVD player. Posted Image

All in good fun I'm sure. Brett just wants everyone to know how much he wants Blu-ray to win. Posted Image

Guess some of us need to go back and find BD issues and start making threads about them just in case the BD faithful might have missed them. Posted Image

#16 of 81 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 04:16 PM

Like the recent one intitled "Why is Blu-Ray a sucess when HD-DVD can do more?", which was apparently started by someone whose whole life is dedicated to complaining about the non-uniform implementation of BD-Java across various manufacturers' models? Posted Image

#17 of 81 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,627 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 04:21 PM

Oh I agree the spreading of this stuff is on both sides. Posted Image

#18 of 81 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 05:45 PM

Oh hell, PLEASE don't let this forum become anything like what AVS has morphed into. A bunch of idiots who spend all day slamming each other and swinging their format of choice schlongs around!

Tim! we watched Rocky B the other nite! LOVED it. Great film!

Posted Image

#19 of 81 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,548 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 07:08 PM

Quote:
Like the recent one intitled "Why is Blu-Ray a sucess when HD-DVD can do more?", which was apparently started by someone
... and then moved and subsequently closed.

Reading the thread that was started on that forum, it looks like there hardly isn't a problem at all, BTW.
I will receive mine soon, I hope, and report anything unusual here.

Brett, what about yours? When you played 'Children of Men' on your XBox 360, did you notice any of the problems that made you genuinely worry and start this thread?

Cees

#20 of 81 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mack
Oh hell, PLEASE don't let this forum become anything like what AVS has morphed into. A bunch of idiots who spend all day slamming each other and swinging their format of choice schlongs around!
That was precisely my thought when I first responded to this thread.

Anyway, I should say I forgot to mention in my earlier post that it was an Xbox 360 add-on in which I had no problems at all playing Children of Men.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow