Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

RKO Lost & Found: DVD Releases After TCM Airings?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 07:01 AM

The promo's for the 'RKO: Lost & Found' films on TCM look fascinating.
I've also noticed two of the films are playing at a revival house in L.A.
this weekend.

Most of the films could eventually be released on DVD as pre-code films, or
as a stand-alone package duplicating the 'RKO: Lost & Found' theme.

Is anybody else looking forward to the broadcasts on TCM? Does anybody
else also think these films would be great to own on DVD, too?

The six films are:

Double Harness
Rafter Romance
One Man's Journey
Stingaree
Living On Love
A Man To Remember

I believe the air date on TCM is April 4th.

#2 of 42 OFFLINE   serenapowell

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:15 AM

Me me me! Posted Image I can't express how much I'm looking forward to seeing these films (starring many favorites of mine - William Powell, Ginger Rogers, Ann Harding, Irene Dunne, Lionel Barrymore), and it goes without saying I immediately yearned for a DVD release. Posted Image I'm sure they'd sell too - using the "Lost & Found" theme to market the DVDs, is a very good idea!

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 12:13 AM

Of all 6 films, I think Stingaree (34) is the best, one of the finest showcases that the brilliantly versatile Irene Dunne ever had.

Yes, the "Lost and Found" theme would a great way to market these films.

And we need more Ann Harding on DVD!!!!!!!Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 12:19 AM

If they're smart, Warner Home Video should release the films as a set under the TCM banner!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 05:20 AM

I'm excited about these also. I've never heard of or seen any of them, but the marketing of "Lost and Found" has me excited. I would blind buy these on DVD.

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   docdoowop

docdoowop

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 05:27 AM

My bet is there'll be a box.

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 30 2007 - 10:36 AM

my bet to! how long are they? they could be two-fer discs like the legends of horror, val lewton boxsets.

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted April 01 2007 - 10:24 AM

I was able to see two of the films Double Harness and Rafter Romance and they are well worth seeing, I hope Warners releases all of these films as an Archives set of some sort.

Believe me, fans of Ginger Rogers will not be disappointed by her performance in the pre-code Rafter Romance!

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   serenapowell

serenapowell

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 12:09 AM

Hello! I thought I should resurrect this thread, although i was tempted to start a new one with no question mark at the end! Posted Image

I was just browsing TCM's schedule and noticed a couple of these RKO movies are airing again this morning...but this time they're listed in TCM's database as being available on DVD! In fact all 6 RKO movies have DVD artwork pictured and seem to be available to pre-order at the TCM store. Says they're coming out Jan 1, 2009 ...but maybe the database isn't quite ready, because when I try to add to my shopping cart, it doesn't work...just stays empty. I tried adding other dvds that are out now, and they do work, so I know it's not my browser.

Anyway I had to let you all know about this great news...it's such a surprise to me! Has anyone heard anything about this "TCM Vault Collection"? (if you look closely at the RKO DVD art you can see that text across the top) Do you think we'll be seeing a press release here at HTF? I just hope nothing happens to prevent/cancel these releases (a little worried about the shopping cart thing) And I'm already anticipating and wondering what the next TCM Vault titles might be...oh I hope it's a big success and continues! But I'm grateful even if it ends with these 6 movies...I enjoyed them all so much. Here are the links so you can see the art and try to pre-order... let me know if it works for you!

Buy A Man To Remember DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from A Man To Remember

Buy Rafter Romance DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from Rafter Romance

Buy One Man's Journey DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from One Man's Journey

Buy Double Harness DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from Double Harness

Buy Stingaree DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from Stingaree

Buy Living On Love DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from Living On Love

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 12:38 AM

GREAT NEWS Serena!!!!! Astonishing is a better word. I will order all of these as soon as they become available
It's certainly great to hear from you again! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 02:59 AM

I saw A MAN TO REMEMBER at the London Film Festival a couple of weeks ago, and definitely would buy it. Hopefully it these will be available soon.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 04:40 AM

Considering the price ($19.95) for the individual films and that they are very short without any extras, it's sad and unfortunate that they didn't double them up, particularly with the remakes (RAFTER ROMANCE/LIVING ON LOVE and ONE MAN'S JOURNEY/A MAN TO REMEMBER). I would hope that they would bring out the lost and found quota quickies also.
Charles Hoyt

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 06:44 AM

$24.99 retail!!!!

Unless that is a mistake, I really don't understand the logic of those prices...I guess they think the limited number of people who want these will pay such high prices...but not me.

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,051 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 13 2008 - 08:38 AM

They look like they would be part of a boxset with that uniform border art. TCM doesn't do DVD exclusives do they? I wont pay that price for these since they're blind buys and the boxsets are always a great value.

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   KellyVO

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 09:35 AM

Looks like there is a box set but for six movies with hardly any extras that's kinda pricy!

Buy TCM Lost RKO Collection DVD and VHS – Movie Quotes and Pictures from TCM Lost RKO Collection
Most Wanted on DVD: Dragonwyck (1946),  Little Nellie Kelly (1940), Bachelor Mother (1939), Tin Pan Alley (1940), Mother Wore Tights (1947), The Devil and Miss Jones (1941),  Penelope (1966)Fox Please release Betty Grable Vol. 2!

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted November 13 2008 - 12:08 PM

Could the higher price tag be because someone else also owns the rights to these films? If I remember correctly, when these were originally shown, Osbourne mentioned that they hadn't been seen for so many years because different people held the rights. These could be the Criterion of Warner releases (the price, not the extras).

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,262 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 03:47 PM

I am waiting patiently (for how else can I wait?) for THE BOY WITH GREEN HAIR (1948) and THE WINDOW (1949), each featuring an early - and noteworthy - performance by a child actor who had many films ahead of him (respectively Dean Stockwell and Bobby Driscoll). The first is a color feature about prejudice, somewhat dated and a bit overly allegorical, but I got hooked on it as a kid when it was shown a zillion times on WOR-TV's Million Dollar Movie. The second is a credible and suspenseful noir about a boy who witnesses a murder and find no one believes his story. Both have had many airings on TCM, but remain MIA on DVD. Please, Warner Bros...?

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Blake Comeaux

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted November 14 2008 - 04:22 AM

According to TCM's website when they aired these films they "purchased the copyrights and all right, title and intrests" to these six films so these may actually be TCM exclusives at the moment. That could explain the pricing and I'm more than willing to pay it. $65.00 for the box set is almost $11.00 a film. I've having trouble providing links, but here is the address: RKO: Lost and Found.

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 18 2008 - 05:32 AM

This is good news and that price is fine given the circumstances.

If TCM is capable of buying the DVD rights for some RKO films, more power to them. Hopefully, they could look into doing the same for Wheeler and Woolsey.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   ColbyCo82

ColbyCo82

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 05:51 AM

TCM already owns the rights to most of RKO's library. Im not sure how these got away.
Most Wanted on DVD: The Trial of Mary Dugan (1929), Strangers May Kiss (1931),  Letty Lynton (1932), Her Wedding Night (1931), 24 Hours (1931), The Return of Dr. Fu Manchu (1930), Unfaithful (1931),  While the City Sleeps (1928), The Greene Murder Case (1929)