Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

3D Redux - The Next Big Thing?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 04:58 AM

Is 3D really the next big thing? I've yet to see one of the recent 3D pics. Hell, we don't even have an Imax around here.

Biz Loves 3D

Some wild stuff in there...

lots more...

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 06:32 AM

If I ran a chain of theaters, the digital 3-D that Disney and Sony have trotted out over the last couple of years is something I'd be very, very interested in. It's something you can't get anywhere else and which can't be easily pirated. Heck, I know that I've made the effort to go to 3-D showings when both versions were readily available (read: I didn't have to go out to the furniture store in Reading), and I normally try to avoid digital projection. Still, if studios and theaters are going to bank on this, they've got to be making films with 3-D in mind. Polar Express and Monster House weren't great movies, but they were made to be exhibited in 3-D and shone. Chicken Little didn't look nearly so impressive.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 5 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 23,587 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 29 2007 - 08:34 AM

I have to say that the idea of a James Cameron movie in 3-D is interesting to me but I would be interested in that movie it if it was in 1-D. In other words, 3-D would never get me to see a movie that I didn't already have an interest in (I'm sure that I'll never see that new Disney movie with the dinosaur in the future) but I do think that 3-D will be a gimmick that helps boost ticket sales.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 10:10 AM

All the theater chains are jumping on board the Digital 3-D bandwagon. I don't know if people will pay double, but the box office of previous releases has proven that they will pay $1.50-$2.00 more for Digital 3-D. Some of us have known 3-D was where it's at for some time. Glad to see some of you are catching on! Of course, the Digital platform makes it much easier for the theatres to provide a good presentation, something that was often a problem in the past. I don't see everything going 3-D, but it's already certain that 3-D features will no longer be a rarity.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 30 2007 - 04:42 AM

MCN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users