What's new

Directors Screenshot Challenge - Double Your Pleasure Version (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
(AKA Screenshot Challenge of America for Make Benefit Glorious Forum of Theater of Home)

This challenge will have a bit of a twist to it. Every round will display two images, from two different movies. Each pair of movies is linked by a common word in their respective titles (the final word of one title will be identical to the first word of the other title). See the end of this post for an example.

I’ll make every effort to add to the thread each morning, alternating days with either a new pair of screenshots or clues to each of the current shots. The challenge will run for 12 pairs of entries, or a total of 24 screenshots, after which a winner will be declared.

Scoring goes like this: Guess the entire combined title pre-clue: 4 points. Guess the entire combined title post-clue: 2 points. OR receive 2 points for a single (one screenshot) correct guess pre-clue and/or 1 point for a single correct guess post-clue.

So, for each round, you could grab zero, one, two, three, or four points. Note that four is the maximum for each round. Additionally, two points is the maximum for each individual film.

You may change your answer as many times as you like, but only the most recent guess will be considered.

The images will vary widely in degree of difficulty. I suspect that, once you’ve solved one of the pair, the other image would be a near-gimme. But, ya never know.

Please PM me and include your guess on the subject line.

One other point: The placement of the two shots will be totally random (that is, the title of shot 1A doesn’t necessarily precede the title in shot 1B once they have been combined to form the “double-title”). The juxtaposition of the two images will be, quite literally, a coin flip.

Because a picture is worth more than 999 words, here is an example:

The answer is, of course, The Empire Strikes Back To the Future

Have fun, and hey…let’s be careful out there!

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
...and awaaaaaaay we go:

See the first post of this thread for rules and scoring.
Please place your guess(es) in the subject line of your PM.

Shot 1A:

Shot 1B:

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Great idea Jon. Looking forward to this one. I'm already in defiance of one of your statements -- I think I know one of these shots, but can't think of the other one!! I'll have to give it more thought.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Are the shots posted in the order they are to go? I think I know the movies, but...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Dang it. I read the first post once and then re-read it. Somehow my brain just
skipped over the relevant part. I know I haven't been getting enough sleep this week, but I didn't know it was this bad.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
The Clues:

Shot 1A: The title of this film - a play on one of the character's names - is also the title of a song by a well-known rapper.

Shot 1B: While shooting the most famous scene in this movie, the actor was ill with a 103-degree fever.

Answers and next round tomorrow morning.

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
#1 Answer: Singin' in the Rain Man

(Started you off with an easy one :D)

4 points:
Brian Lawrence
Brook K
Cameron Yee
DavidJ
george kaplan
Jeremy Stockwell
Kirk Tsai
Marc Fedderman
Martin Teller
Pete York
Ray H

2 points:
Adam_S
Bob Turnbull
Keith I
Chucky P

Incorrect Guesses:
Can’t You Hear Me Singin’ in the Rain Man

Leader Board

4 Points:
Brian Lawrence
Brook K
Cameron Yee
DavidJ
george kaplan
Jeremy Stockwell
Kirk Tsai
Marc Fedderman
Martin Teller
Pete York
Ray H

2 Points:
Adam_S
Bob Turnbull
Chucky P
Keith I

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Shot 2A:

Shot 2B:

Clues tomorrow morning.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am so gonna suck at this. I have only seen pieces of Rain Man, and even though I have the 2 disc SE, I've never watched Singin' in the Rain.

The sample one may be the only one I get.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
The Clues:

Shot 2A: Within a month after this film was released, a national news broke that was eerily similar to the plot of this movie.

Shot 2B: A famous quote from this film has been referenced in the movies “Saturday Night Fever” and “Penn & Teller Get Killed”, as well as the television shows “House”, and “Spongebob Squarepants”.

Answers and next round tomorrow morning.

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Couple of things:

It's really interesting to read your comments as you submit your entries; keep 'em coming.

I’ve decided to stop posting incorrect guesses because one that was submitted is actually a pair of movies I was considering using at some point.

Scorekeeping, I'm finding out, is going to be a semi-nightmare. I'm trying to be careful, but please check your scores regularly and let me know of any errors.

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
#2 Answer: Wag the Dog Day Afternoon

4 points:
Bill McA
Ray H
Keith I
Brian Lawrence
Adam_S
Elizabeth S
Bob Turnbull

3 points:
Pete York
Martin Teller

2 points:
DavidJ
Chucky P
Marc Fedderman
Kirk Tsai
Jeremy Stockwell
Jason Harbaugh

1 point:
Brook K

Leader Board

8 Points:
Brian Lawrence
Ray H

7 Points:
Pete York
Martin Teller

6 Points:
Adam_S
Bob Turnbull
DavidJ
Jeremy Stockwell
Keith I
Kirk Tsai
Marc Fedderman

5 Points:
Brook K

4 Points:
Bill McA
Cameron Yee
Chucky P
Elizabeth S
george kaplan

2 Points:
Jason Harbaugh

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Shot 3A:

Shot 3B:

Clues tomorrow morning.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Scoring clarification:

A few of you submitted the guess of Ghost Dog Day Afternoon before the clues were given, then revised your answer to the correct Wag the Dog Day Afternoon.

I bring this up because it could be argued, I suppose, that this should be worth 4 points (2 for DDA pre-clue, 2 more for getting the complete set post-clue).

I feel, though, that awarding 4 points in this circumstance would be incorrect - it would be double-dipping on the DDA answer. So in these cases, I'm giving 3 points: 2 for the single correct pre-clue answer, 1 more for the additional single post-clue answer.

Put in more simple terms: The maximum points per round is 4; the maximum points per film title is 2.

Hope that makes sense.

Jon

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Gah! I guessed right on Dog Day Afternoon but couldn't place the shoe shot, though it was very familiar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks