What's new

Stargate Universe (3rd stargate series!) (1 Viewer)

Arild

Supporting Actor
Why? So far, all we know about it is the title, and the title sucks. :D

Actually, I have no doubt it'll be good, but that working title has got to go.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i like it because it doesn't depend on pre-conceived notions, either from stargate film->stargate SG-1 series OR SG-1->Atlantis. there are strings attached other than the CONCEPT of stargate travels. so, if they really want to go down that path, that would rock. i hate to see cross-universe guest stars. i think it cheapens both series when both ongoing series avail themselves to both series' stars.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

I guess I see it the opposite way - if 2 or more shows are set in the same universe, I think it strengthens boths shows by having cross-overs - especialy in the case of Stargate (SG1/Atlantis). If each show had 'ignored' the other, it would be a glaring omission, and therefore, a major weakness.

I'll watch but it'll have to prove itself to me in order to get excited. So far, from what I've heard, the writing staff is basically the same. If true, I can't envision a whole lot of new creativity.

What made SG1 special was it's connection to mythology - Egyptian, early on, then other myths later. Atlantis got away from that, and suffered, IMHO. Universe is furthering that disassociation and unless they compensate with some other interesting feature, it's going to suffer the same fate as Atlantis - only faster.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, that's the guy from 28 Weeks Later.
Looks good, even though it looks like Voyager. It looks different enough from SG-1 or Atlantis to be interesting. It'll be my first time to watch a Stargate show live. I wish I had SyFy in HD. I only have three more episode of Atlantis to go, so I should be ready in time for Oct. 2.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Hey, that's the guy from 28 Weeks Later

To us Brits, he is the guy from Trainspotting!!! - Robert Carlyle - and him being in this is the main thing that makes me interested in watching this show. Looks promising

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Simon Massey - Robert Carlyle - and him being in this is the main thing that makes me interested in watching this show. Looks promising
Probably to a lot of Americans as well, but I've just never seen it.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I always think of him in "The Full Monty" which was (and still is) damn funny.

Series looks potentially good. Atlantis to me really fell off a cliff somewhere in there.. I think it was the moment where the replicators came in, and I thought "jeez, can't they have their own unique villains" plus it didn't jive with SG-1's "we've wiped them all out everywhere / this is how the replicators started". I just couldn't get into it after that.

But I'll give SG-U a go. As long as they don't recycle old enemies, I'm good.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Robert Carlyle and Lou Diamond Philips? This might be pretty good. To me, it doesn't have that same old "SG1 / Atlantis" feel (both of which I absolutely loved). The trailer makes it seem more polished and "bigger budget" than the previous shows.

And in that second trailer, was that an homage to "The Last Starfighter"?

Arild

Supporting Actor
A few reviews.

This is not Stargate: The New Class or Stargate: 90210. Stargate Universe does well to quickly establish itself while still maintaining the integrity and history that SG-1 and Atlantis had worked to create. [...] I was throughly entertained for the entire pilot...and considering that it was three hours long, that is saying something. Those of you worry that this will not be the same Stargate that we love, rest your fears. Stargate Universe is extremely impressive.
(ComicsOnline)

Stargate fans should be proud of it, and it may even pick up a good few converts. It’s a solid, entering start to a series that certainly has promise. It also has the potential to become remarkably po-faced and talky, but there are hints of some twists coming up that shake up the format a bit to prevent that.
(SFX)

For better or worse, "SGU" doesn't look or feel like any of its predecessors. Between its handheld camerawork, ethereal score and wide array of character archetypes, the franchise hasn't felt this energized in years. [...] - for all the refreshing aspects it's just unfortunate to see the franchise fall back on old habits so quickly.
(The Futon Critic)

Regardless of personal taste, the visual quality of Air is amazing, and it's a pretty darn good story to boot. As far as these things go, the SGU people on all levels have a lot to be proud of. They've done some amazing work that should be acknowledged even if this show isn't your cup of tea. Hard work pays off, and in SGU, pays off in a spectacular way.
(The Media Pundit)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks. I would have missed it. As it is, I may have to hope for an encore as my DVR is pretty busy tonight.

Edit: turns out that recording period is open, so I'll catch the first run. Looks like there would have been plenty of other opportunities as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks