Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stargate Universe (3rd stargate series!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
219 replies to this topic

#1 of 220 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,905 posts

Posted March 28 2007 - 01:26 PM

http://gateworld.net....nth_chev.shtml

i'm actually far more excited about this than i was about SG1&Atlantis! Posted Image

#2 of 220 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 08:34 AM

Why? So far, all we know about it is the title, and the title sucks. Posted Image

Actually, I have no doubt it'll be good, but that working title has got to go.

#3 of 220 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,905 posts

Posted April 01 2007 - 07:59 AM

i like it because it doesn't depend on pre-conceived notions, either from stargate film->stargate SG-1 series OR SG-1->Atlantis. there are strings attached other than the CONCEPT of stargate travels. so, if they really want to go down that path, that would rock. i hate to see cross-universe guest stars. i think it cheapens both series when both ongoing series avail themselves to both series' stars.

#4 of 220 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,905 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 03:16 AM

more info on SGU:
GateWorld | Stargate Universe

plus, i was linked a series from the past that sounds eerily similar to Stargate Destiny in certain premises. not exactly the same... but similar:
The Starlost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#5 of 220 KevinGress

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

• 603 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger
i hate to see cross-universe guest stars. i think it cheapens both series when both ongoing series avail themselves to both series' stars.

I guess I see it the opposite way - if 2 or more shows are set in the same universe, I think it strengthens boths shows by having cross-overs - especialy in the case of Stargate (SG1/Atlantis). If each show had 'ignored' the other, it would be a glaring omission, and therefore, a major weakness.

I'll watch but it'll have to prove itself to me in order to get excited. So far, from what I've heard, the writing staff is basically the same. If true, I can't envision a whole lot of new creativity.

What made SG1 special was it's connection to mythology - Egyptian, early on, then other myths later. Atlantis got away from that, and suffered, IMHO. Universe is furthering that disassociation and unless they compensate with some other interesting feature, it's going to suffer the same fate as Atlantis - only faster.

#6 of 220 Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter

• 1,105 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 06:18 AM

Wormhole Extreme! Yeah!

Oh wait, this isn't that...

#7 of 220 JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,905 posts

Posted March 11 2009 - 08:19 AM

well it's basically star trek Posted Image

#8 of 220 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted July 24 2009 - 08:11 AM

This new trailer makes it look pretty darn nice IMO.

#9 of 220 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 24 2009 - 08:33 AM

Hey, that's the guy from 28 Weeks Later.

Looks good, even though it looks like Voyager.  It looks different enough from SG-1 or Atlantis to be interesting.  It'll be my first time to watch a Stargate show live.  I wish I had SyFy in HD.  I only have three more episode of Atlantis to go, so I should be ready in time for Oct. 2.  /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif

#10 of 220 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 24 2009 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
Hey, that's the guy from 28 Weeks Later 

To us Brits, he is the guy from Trainspotting!!! - Robert Carlyle - and him being in this is the main thing that makes me interested in watching this show. Looks promising

#11 of 220 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 24 2009 - 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Massey 
To us Brits, he is the guy from Trainspotting!!! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif- Robert Carlyle - and him being in this is the main thing that makes me interested in watching this show. Looks promising
Probably to a lot of Americans as well, but I've just never seen it.

#12 of 220 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted July 25 2009 - 10:28 AM

Quote:
 Probably to a lot of Americans as well, but I've just never seen it.

See it as soon as possible

#13 of 220 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,996 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 25 2009 - 01:30 PM

I always think of him in "The Full Monty" which was (and still is) damn funny.

Series looks potentially good.  Atlantis to me really fell off a cliff somewhere in there.. I think it was the moment where the replicators came in, and I thought "jeez, can't they have their own unique villains"  plus it didn't jive with SG-1's "we've wiped them all out everywhere / this is how the replicators started".  I just couldn't get into it after that.

But I'll give SG-U a go.  As long as they don't recycle old enemies, I'm good.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#14 of 220 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted July 26 2009 - 11:41 AM

Trailer #2.

#15 of 220 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 26 2009 - 12:26 PM

Looks like three lovers' embraces in one trailer.  I hope they ain't sexin' it up.

#16 of 220 Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor

• 708 posts

Posted July 26 2009 - 12:52 PM

Robert Carlyle and Lou Diamond Philips?  This might be pretty good.  To me, it doesn't have that same old "SG1 / Atlantis" feel (both of which I absolutely loved).  The trailer makes it seem more polished and "bigger budget" than the previous shows.

And in that second trailer, was that an homage to "The Last Starfighter"?

"A human being is part of the whole called by us the Universe. We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest --a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection...

#17 of 220 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted September 13 2009 - 06:34 AM

A few reviews.

Quote:
This is not Stargate: The New Class or Stargate: 90210. Stargate Universe does well to quickly establish itself while still maintaining the integrity and history that SG-1 and Atlantis had worked to create. [...] I was throughly entertained for the entire pilot...and considering that it was three hours long, that is saying something. Those of you worry that this will not be the same Stargate that we love, rest your fears. Stargate Universe is extremely impressive.
(ComicsOnline)

Quote:
Stargate fans should be proud of it, and it may even pick up a good few converts. It’s a solid, entering start to a series that certainly has promise. It also has the potential to become remarkably po-faced and talky, but there are hints of some twists coming up that shake up the format a bit to prevent that.
(SFX)

Quote:
For better or worse, "SGU" doesn't look or feel like any of its predecessors. Between its handheld camerawork, ethereal score and wide array of character archetypes, the franchise hasn't felt this energized in years. [...] - for all the refreshing aspects it's just unfortunate to see the franchise fall back on old habits so quickly.
(The Futon Critic)

Quote:
Regardless of personal taste, the visual quality of Air is amazing, and it's a pretty darn good story to boot. As far as these things go, the SGU people on all levels have a lot to be proud of. They've done some amazing work that should be acknowledged even if this show isn't your cup of tea. Hard work pays off, and in SGU, pays off in a spectacular way.
(The Media Pundit)

#18 of 220 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 05:49 AM

This premieres tonight, for those who have SciFi SyFy.

#19 of 220 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 02 2009 - 06:05 AM

Thanks.  I would have missed it.  As it is, I may have to hope for an encore as my DVR is pretty busy tonight.

Edit: turns out that recording period is open, so I'll catch the first run.  Looks like there would have been plenty of other opportunities as well.

#20 of 220 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted October 02 2009 - 06:10 AM

Make sure you catch both hours! /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif