Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Streets of San Francisco...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#101 of 113 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 01:35 PM

I have watched all the episodes of S5 now and i was pleasantly surprised with the quality. I do not remember much of S5 and some of the episode i am watching for the first time. The supporting casts in many episodes was excellent. I really like the episode with the reward as it had Tom Bosley and Max Gail.

#102 of 113 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:30 PM

Glad to hear nice words about season five as I put off buying it because Douglas left. Thanks for the comments. I am on the final disc of season one volume two, so I have a ways to go yet.

books   

#103 of 113 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 02:35 PM

Glad to hear nice words about season five as I put off buying it because Douglas left. Thanks for the comments. I am on the final disc of season one volume two, so I have a ways to go yet.
Alan, Micheal Douglas is in S5/Ep1, which is two-part episode and is shot. Michael Douglas character is also moving on to a teaching position and Dan Robbins character was transitioned into role with Mike Stone. Richard Hatch will grow on you as he does good work. The problem was Michael Douglas developed a huge following so it was hard for Richard Hatch to break into the series. The Streets will always have special spot in my heart as it was film in San Franscisco and i love the city of San fran. I like watching the episodes and then doing a google earth on the street addresses!!

#104 of 113 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 04 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for the additional comments. Perhaps season five will drop in price a bit by the time I get close, though the prices on those STREETS sets seem to hold their value over time pretty much.

books   

#105 of 113 OFFLINE   HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted November 04 2012 - 10:11 PM

I have watched all the episodes of S5 now and i was pleasantly surprised with the quality. I do not remember much of S5 and some of the episode i am watching for the first time. The supporting casts in many episodes was excellent. I really like the episode with the reward as it had Tom Bosley and Max Gail.
The S5 episode with Marlyn Mason is superb and I think would be regarded a classic for any series, it helped prove Streets came back strong after a (in my views) much weaker S4. Hatch was indeed good, the role should've been a lot bigger and made more important to the plots (it was in the Mason episode though) rather than just tagging alongside Malden whose show this now became even more. I'm looking forward to eventually go through all five seasons again, it's great storytelling with interesting characters for the most part and of course unforgettable faces.

#106 of 113 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted November 05 2012 - 05:36 AM

The S5 episode with Marlyn Mason is superb and I think would be regarded a classic for any series, it helped prove Streets came back strong after a (in my views) much weaker S4. Hatch was indeed good, the role should've been a lot bigger and made more important to the plots (it was in the Mason episode though) rather than just tagging alongside Malden whose show this now became even more. I'm looking forward to eventually go through all five seasons again, it's great storytelling with interesting characters for the most part and of course unforgettable faces.
Hi Henry, I would have to agree with you about Richard Hatch's character as it was not given much of a chance to succeed. Karl Malden was good, but too controlling and not listening enough to Richard Hatch's suggestions. Karl Malden appear to be to the Streets like Jack Lord was to Hawaii Five-O and that did not help either show over the long haul. Both Jack and Karl are great actors, but they have far too much control over the lines and the scenes. There are many episodes of S5 were Richard Hatch comes up with alternative approaches to finding evidence and Karl lets him go a head. The Hot Dog episode is neat due to fact Don Johnson plays a young motorcycle cop with a mustache and has a thing for Stone's daughter.

#107 of 113 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 10 2012 - 11:37 PM

I finished season one. Terrific stuff.

books   

#108 of 113 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,482 posts

Posted November 11 2012 - 04:50 AM

I finished season one. Terrific stuff.
I You will like S1-S4 as well. The scenery of SF at the time is amazing. Much has changed in 40 years, but areas like the precidio still look the same along with fisherman wharf, etc. I like looking up the streets name and then comparing then and now. I have all the seasons and love the show. I am also a huge police drama fan as such have many of the cops dramas from the 1960s - 1980s era.

#109 of 113 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 14 2012 - 02:16 AM

BEFORE I DIE (S2V1D1) was excellent.

books   

#110 of 113 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted November 28 2012 - 02:53 AM

It was nice seeing Paul Fix in WINTERKILL (S2V2D1). Really nice.

books   

#111 of 113 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter

• 1,042 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:09 AM

Just finished Season 4, and got a pleasant surprise when a young Tom Selleck (complete with mustache) turned up as an electronics whiz. Although it was a pretty substantial part, he didn't get guest star billing in the opening credits, only at the end. Just goes to show how "pre-Magnum" this was!

#112 of 113 OFFLINE   JohnHopper

JohnHopper

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 01:32 PM

Season 5 suffers from a flat dramatic leaning because this is a different era: the mid-Seventies unlike the gloomy early Seventies, especially the first season which feature a collection of madmen. Oddly enough, the narrative structure is modified: you have five acts instead of four and Act 1 is very short and is used as a prologue to introduce the main foe. The new cinematographer named Michel Hugo doesn't help to increase the dramatic tension: it's very over-lit and dull. Karl Malden plays his part harsher, almost like a one-man show and Richard Hatch's character is never developed and left aside in the background. There is no chemistry between the two leading men.

#113 of 113 OFFLINE   Carabimero

Carabimero

Screenwriter

• 1,838 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted December 06 2012 - 08:00 PM

I am on the last disc of season two volume two and enjoying myself immensely. The writing is solid but I come back episode after episode, night after night, for Malden and Douglas.

books   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users