What's new

The Streets of San Francisco... (1 Viewer)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I searched and was surprised to not find a thread on this show. A little less than 2 weeks till this hit's. All be it in split season volume 1 set. Nevertheless i will be buying this come April 10th. Anyone else looking forward to this ? Anyone have it for review or know of any early reviews ?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Why would The Streets of San Francisco be split into 2 sets per season, when they only did about 24 shows a year??

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Jeff: I dunno i am hopeful they are just doing this for S1 it was 26 episodes + the 2 hour pilot. S2=23, S3=23, S4=23 and S5=25.

I hate volume sets!! but i am making an exception here.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I would buy them however it's arranged, but I believe it will be one set per season.
Interesting if this QM Production comes out before The Fugitive does. :)

Duane Alford

Second Unit
I was looking forward to this (and The Untouchables), but since both are split sets, I'm not interested. I hate split sets and will not buy them.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
COMBAT! were sold as split seasons ("Campaigns") for a long time.
Then a whole series set came out for $200, so there is always hope. ;)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I'll probably wait until they have at least 3 Seasons Available. That way I'll have a Year's Worth of Episodes, and someone like Amazon or Deep Discount will have them on sale. I Tolerated Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, but I will not buy half a season at a time again.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Just got a copy today and took a look at the extras on disc 1. The first is a period piece with Army Archerd interviewing both Karl Malden and Michael Douglas on the set, nicely done but only lasted 3 min. 45 sec. The other extra is the Pilot Presentation and it runs for 8 min. 43 sec. and was just great to watch - it was obviously quite a primer for audiences at the time that show cased the series prior to the Pilot episode playing. It was thoughtful of Paramount to include it with this " half set " as I call them. I will not stop buying any of the '50's - '70's shows I like despite the possible lack of a full season set because the sales figures will ultimately guide the Studio's future decisions to release more - better to be safe than sorry. The episodes themselves look very good - clear, sharp with good saturation of colors, and the sound was also clear - nothing spectacular but what can one expect? Just glad to get it early!

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Jeff - I checked the counter and the total time was approx. 98 minutes for the pilot episode - hope that says something. That seems about what some were, around 2 hours with commercials.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Brent Avery said:
Jeff - I checked the counter and the total time was approx. 98 minutes for the pilot episode - hope that says something. That seems about what some were, around 2 hours with commercials.
Yeah, I forgot it was a 2 hour pilot and not a 90 minute one (the usual standard for 1970s TV).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Does it have English subtitles? Sucks this splitting up seasons, "Hawaii Five-0" got the royal treatment with full amount of episodes, plus a wealth of extras. But a show starring Karl Malden and Michael Douglas does not...

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I will buy this. I've never seen it, but I'm a sucker for '70's action..Looking forward to digging in.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Dan*T said:
I will buy this. I've never seen it, but I'm a sucker for '70's action..Looking forward to digging in.
You'll enjoy it, Dan. Michael Douglas and Karl Malden were one of the great cop teams in TV history. :emoji_thumbsup: After the 4th season though, Douglas was getting more feature film offers, so he quit the show. He did come back for the 2-part 5th season premiere "The Thrill Killers" though, which was an acceptable farewell for Inspector Steve Keller...who quit the force to teach a course in criminology at a local university. It was the only 2-parter the show ever did. Unfortunately, Richard Hatch (as Inspector Dan Robbins) made a weak replacement for Keller. I'm sure Battlestar Galactica fans will disagree. :)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Henry, I went into Setup in the Menu and it does have English ( and Spanish ) subtitles. This split/full season - at least from Paramount really does seem illogical - you pay almost as much when they are split as compared to a complete season so yes a larger profit margin seems to be the main motivation. I'm sure at this point they realize that any of the popular shows will sell enough copies , if their reasoning is to test the market it would definitely annoy more customers to split. After all, you just start getting into a series and your done, waiting 3 or 4 months ( if your lucky ) to pick up where you left off. I hope they stop doing this one day.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Why Duane? I had my doubts too, but if they're splitting them up for money reasons, it must mean (if we follow their 'logic') they have a lot of confidence in the show. -Being a big seller I mean, and this show was very popular, so I'm counting on it continuing on DVD.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was real excited about the release of this series until I saw that it is Volume 1. It really sucks they are splitting the season. I will have to think hard before I decide to purchase this. I probably will since it is one of my favorite cop shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks