What's new

Mill Creek release of Ozzie and Harriett (1 Viewer)

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Mill Creek entertainment has a 38 episode dvd release set for april 10. called Fun with Ozzie and Harriett.But I don't see it up for pre sale at amazon.Anyone know anything about this release ?. I have already pre ordered my shout factory set for may 1st.But this would be a nice addition.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I'm still waiting for season sets ... I guess it just ain't gonna happen :frowning:

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Bob Thanks for the info. What a difference in price I will have to give the sale to deep discounts for this one.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

You're welcome, Marc . . . I forgot to mention that DeepDiscount also has the official O&H set from Shout! Factory up for pre-order at around $21.00 (a few bucks less than Amazon) . . . so, for under $30 you can get plenty of Ozzie & Harriet.

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
I already placed my order with amazon for the shout facory set of Ozzie & Harritt.I think I might cancel that order and go with deep discounts can't beat the price. thanks

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I ordered the 38 episode collection from Mill Creek through DeepDiscount. When I received the package last night, I received something a little different. Instead of the 38 episodes, I received a collection of 100 episodes of Ozzie & Harriet for eight bucks and change. I’m not sure as to what’s going on with DeepDiscount and/or Mill Creek, but the 100 episode collection is definitely from Mill Creek, yet I ordered the 38 episode set. I could not find any mention of the 100 episode set either at Mill Creek’s site or at DeepDiscount; even a Google search shows nothing on this set. For those that are interested, the item number that I ordered at DeepDiscount is DTO050561. The “new” set is titled “The Essential Ozzie & Harriet Collection.” Here’s the lowdown . . .

1.100 episodes spread over 12 single sided discs.
2.Cardboard outer packaging is just like Mill Creek’s 50 & 100 movie sets.
3.Each disc is packaged in a cardboard sleeve.
4.Based solely on my recollections, about 25 to 30 episodes have appeared on other O&H PD collections.

The episodes are very definitely public domain quality, but the sampling of three episodes that I watched, “Halloween Party” (first episode in the set with a Jerry Mathers cameo), “Ricky the Drummer” (first episode where Ricky sings . . . yep, the Fats Domino song “I’m Walkin’” is intact), and “David’s Other Office” (last episode in the collection; NOT in color) were all very watchable. “David’s Other Office” also had ABC logos at the beginning and end and original commercials, while the other two did not and end credits were cut off “Ricky the Drummer," save “Produced & Directed by Ozzie Nelson.” While I didn’t have an episode guide handy, the episodes appear to be in chronological order, suggesting that Mill Creek actually made some attempt to research the series. Unfortunately, the Mill Creek logo does appear in the bottom right corner once or twice in each episode for about 30 seconds.

I wish I could provide you with an episode listing, but it’s just too much to type and, as mentioned, Mill Creek doesn’t even show this set on its web site yet. While I’m still very much going to buy Shout! Factory’s official O&H set, the Mill Creek set is now the largest collection of commercially available episodes of the series on DVD. It'll probably take me a year to get through this set . . . a really pleasant surprise.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I got the exact same thing, Bob! I was shocked to open it up and find all those discs and all those episodes included. I only previewed the first episode (Halloween one with Mathers) but it wasn't bad at all. Pretty pleasant surprise, to say the least. I'm not complaining.

Gary "when I looked at the back cover and started reading all the episodes included I thought to myself, 'This seems like a lot more episodes than Mill Creek originally advertised' - and darned if it isn't a lot more!" O.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

That episode was one of the earliest broadcast, episode 5 of season 1 and is, possibly, the earliest screen credit for Jerry Mathers. The announcer at the end of the episode pronounces his name as Math-ers.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone ordered it from Amazon and got the same collection?

Mill Creek has done a good job with a lot of their budget titles. While they may cause some of the reviewers here to go into shock over the compression and such, for the money, they are well worth picking up.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Ordered this myself today for $7.34 from DDD using a 10% off code (which you can find in the bargains thread at DVD Talk). However this is supposedly a pre-order, with an availability date of April 22d. ???

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

The street date for the 38 episode set was supposed to be April 10th (I received my copy on April 11th as I had pre-ordered from DeepDiscount), so maybe the April 22nd date is the street date for the 100 episode set and DD just confused the two products. One thing is for sure . . . I still can not find any mention of the 100 episode set on Mill Creek's web site.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit

Well, I went ahead and purchased a copy from DeepDiscount last night based on the info from this thread- I have only watched a few Ozzie and Harriet's over the years, but if I can get 100 episodes of one of the longest running TV shows in history for under $10.00, count me in!!

I hope the set that is delivered is the 100 Episode set!

Jack

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Last night I too purchased the same item number mentioned in Bob Hug's email for a little over $8, although the discount code didn't work. Should know in a week or so if this was a big mistake on DDD's part, or if it's the real deal.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered one on Wednesday, but it said they were out-of-stock. So I've got my fingers crossed that I actually get the 100 espisode set.

John

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Bob Hug, did you check the FUN WITH OZZIE & HARRIET 38 episode list against the 100 episodes listed on THE ESSENTIAL set? If they are the same I would be inclined to say Mill Creek decided to go with a bigger set and the 38 episode set won't be coming out.

On the other hand if it is a mistake, I wonder what else might be ready to go? It is amazing that there is no info online anywhere about the Essential set. I typed that DTO item number into the Critic's Choice search engine and Fun With Ozzie & Harriet comes up.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

I know you asked Bob Hug, but I can answer this one because I also received the 100 episode set from DD this past week. The 38 episodes listed on the Mill Creek set are indeed the first 38 on this set. What it looks like is that instead of just going with a four disc set, the company went ahead and put out this larger 100 episode set. Whether or not this was always the plan and the initial episode count was wrong to begin with I don't know. But I don't get the impression that there are two different sets. I think this 100 episode collection is the only one they are offering.

Gary "having said I believe Mill Creek only has one set to offer, I must add that the UPC code on this 100 episode set is different from the code listed at their site for the 38 episode collection" O.

colorado ryan

Auditioning
Real Name
thomas
i just wish someone would release all 452 episodes of the show .i love this series. especially 1957-1966.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Bob Gu, sorry I couldn't get back to you quicker, but I'll confirm Gary's comments regarding the 38 episodes of the "original" set being on this one. Hopefully, the company is simply offering the 100 episode set in lieu of the 38 episode set. I will say this . . . the cover artwork used for the 38 episode set and the 100 episode set is different. The artwork for the 38 episode set, shown at Mill Creek's web site and Amazon.com shows the Nelsons in the very earliest years of the show, while the 100 episode set has artwork that shows them, by my guess, in the early 1960s or so, i.e., mid-series, so perhaps there will eventually be two separate sets.

Also, I had a chance to view the entire first disc over the weekend (and 1 episode on disc 2) and the running times are all over the map. Here's the rundown on the disc 1 times . . .

Halloween Party - 25:12
The Ballet - 28:51
The Tuba Incident - 22:27
The Traffic Signal - 22:25
The Bowling Alley - 29:11
The Orchid and the Violet - 27:32
The Pancake Mix - 29:21
The New Chairs - 29:02

As you can see, two of the episodes are heavily edited syndication versions, while the others are mostly complete . . . "Halloween Party" appears to be complete but there are no original commercials. "The Orchid and the Violet" is missing most of the end credits, but has original commercials. The remaining four episodes appear to be complete with all commercials intact. Listerine was the big sponsor during the first season, so you'll see plenty of ads for its mouthwash and toothpaste products, as well as its Prophylactic Toothbrushes. One of the ads shows the mouthwash used as an effective remedy against dandruff! There's also a Hotpoint Appliance ad or two in the mix. The one episode that I watched on Disc 2, "The Boy's Paper Route," had a commercial for 007 cologne and after shave, and there was an ABC promo with Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. for "The FBI" . . . just really fun stuff. In case you're wondering how both of these commercials of the mid-1960s could appear in an episode from the early 1950s, this was one of those O&H episodes that Ozzie introduced as a "flashback" episode much later in the series' run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks