-

Photo
- - - - -

2007 MLB Season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
828 replies to this topic

#21 of 829 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 05:02 AM

If he doesn't get injured Bonds will break Aaron's record this year.

All indications are that he is in pretty good health this year so I wouldn't be surprised if he breaks it around mid-season or August by the latest.

Edit: The sale of the Cubs is good news. Maybe Mark Cuban would like to get into baseball. (One can only hope.)

#22 of 829 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,377 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 02 2007 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S
The sale of the Cubs is good news. Maybe Mark Cuban would like to get into baseball. (One can only hope.)

Well, Cuban was linked to a potential Cubs sale last year. That would be fun.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#23 of 829 OFFLINE   Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 05:41 AM

The reason I think he won't reach Aaron this year is because no one at his age has hit the number of homers he needs to get there. Of course, Bonds has defied age conventions before...

Interesting that the Cubs are selling now, since they've gone on an offseason spending spree for largely mediocre talent (except Soriano) -- the new owners will have to eat the $300 million (plus whatever Zambrano gets) that's been committed.

#24 of 829 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 07:36 AM

Who here honestly thinks Cuban would be allowed to buy the Cubs? I think sales have to be approved by a supermajority of the owners, and I'm guessing several would find some reason to vote against him.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#25 of 829 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 02:30 PM

Baseball is back!!

Ben Sheets 2 hits the Dodgers Posted Image
Cubs lose after Harang completely shuts them down. I heard Zambrano will have a 5 yr 80 million dollar contract coming soon though.

and the Royals baffle the Red Sox. Gil Meche is out to prove he's worth the jack he was paid.

#26 of 829 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 03:01 PM

You have to wonder, doubt the Royal's spending, but the new GM seems to have a decent sense of what's going on. With a few up and coming players and the right acquisitions, they could be decent... next year. I still expect them to struggle to be .500 this year. If they reach that it's a major milestone.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#27 of 829 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 03:12 PM

okay, predictions! how many wins do you think Matsuzaka will get? Posted Image

i'm guessing 17...
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#28 of 829 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,033 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 02:34 AM

Well Bonds hit number 735 last night, 21 to go.

#29 of 829 OFFLINE   trump29

trump29

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 07:44 AM

Cardinals! Pujols!

#30 of 829 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
how many wins do you think Matsuzaka will get?
14 at the most.

#31 of 829 OFFLINE   RobLe

RobLe

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW

i'm guessing 17...

I say 14, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wins a lot more or a lot less.

#32 of 829 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,377 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 05 2007 - 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricW

i'm guessing 17...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin
14 at the most.

One down! Posted Image Worth every penny! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#33 of 829 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 02:20 PM

Seventeen wins sounds about right, although I wouldn't be surprised at it being higher.

And, boy, I'm glad we've got Papelbon to get three outs in the ninth when the team's up by three. No way Tavarez or Pinero could do that while Papelbon starts.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#34 of 829 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,377 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 05 2007 - 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
And, boy, I'm glad we've got Papelbon to get three outs in the ninth when the team's up by three. No way Tavarez or Pinero could do that while Papelbon starts.

I'm sensing a little sarcasm there, Jason...even in the absence of the "rolleyes" smilie! Posted Image

Frankly, I'd be scared-to-death if Tavarez or Pinero were closing (especially Tavarez)...even with a 3 run lead! Posted Image

#35 of 829 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted April 06 2007 - 03:19 AM

Tony LaRussa-style bullpen management, with its "defined roles", closers, set-up men, LOOGYs, and managing based on who has been designated as the guy to be credited with saves is among the worst thing to happen to baseball in my lifetime. That it's led to Papelbon honestly thinking he's more valuable as the next Mariano Rivera than as the next Roger Clemens is among the more aggravating results.

#36 of 829 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,377 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 06 2007 - 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
Tony LaRussa-style bullpen management, with its "defined roles", closers, set-up men, LOOGYs, and managing based on who has been designated as the guy to be credited with saves is among the worst thing to happen to baseball in my lifetime. That it's led to Papelbon honestly thinking he's more valuable as the next Mariano Rivera than as the next Roger Clemens is among the more aggravating results.

Well, Jason...

We're not going to ever see the return of pitchers who "finish what they start." Or, who like Sandy Koufax would throw 205 or 193 pitches in a game. Not gonna happen.

The save statistic is garbage. It is not only meaningless (because of its arbitrariness) but I can't tell you how many times I've seen Mariano Rivera up in the bullpen to come in in a save situation...only to be sat back down when the Yankees would score one more run...eliminating the save situation. You are also right about that--managers should not manage based on meaningless statistics like saves.

What I have seen over the years, though is some pitchers excel as starters and NOT be able to hand the closer (or other bullpen) role...and vice-versa. I'd say a good part of that is mental. Of course, there have also been those pitchers (Smoltz & Eckersley are the first two who come to mind) that have excelled at both. But it seems that many pitchers just pitch better with a starter's mindset...or with a closer's mind-set.

It is too bad we never got a chance to see what young Papelbon could bring in the starter's role...but he WAS so darn effective out of the pen last year, that's why I say I'm happy to see him return there this season...especially in the absence of any better alternative.

I might like to see him pitch more than just an inning now and then...maybe even some longer relief work...depending upon how regularly he gets into games. I hope Francona monitors this thread this season! Posted Image

#37 of 829 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,377 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 06 2007 - 03:35 PM

HERE'S an interesting article on the impact of the pitch count on modern baseball and an attempt by some statisticians to determine the pitch counts of some "golden age" players.

#38 of 829 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted April 07 2007 - 02:05 AM

Quote:
It is not only meaningless (because of its arbitrariness) but I can't tell you how many times I've seen Mariano Rivera up in the bullpen to come in in a save situation...only to be sat back down when the Yankees would score one more run...eliminating the save situation. You are also right about that--managers should not manage based on meaningless statistics like saves.
It doesn't devalue the 84+ saves in a row that Gagne had. To be in the save situation and save 84 straight games is no small feat.

#39 of 829 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted April 07 2007 - 09:03 AM

A-Rod 'goes black' for a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out.
Who knows, I might have to re-think the notion that he's a 'choke artist'.

#40 of 829 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,377 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 07 2007 - 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewB
A-Rod 'goes black' for a walk-off grand slam in the bottom of the 9th with 2 out.
Who knows, I might have to re-think the notion that he's a 'choke artist'.

It was pretty amazing that the Yanks won that game, Lew. Down one run going into the 9th. Mientkiewicz lines out. Cabrera strikes out. Cano singles. Jeter walks. Abreu is HBP...bringing up A-Rod. I'm thinking to myself it is amazing how these scenarios get created for him to succeed/fail in these high-pressure situations. And with two strikes on him, he actually comes through...and BIG! Good for him.

It'll be interesting to see what happens now by way of media/fan reaction.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow