What's new

Odd Couple Season 2 release date (1 Viewer)

if200

Agent
Real Name
Diane
According to tvshowsondvd.com August 28! Though not official... holy crap!

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

I'm thrilled if it's true. I thoroughly enjoyed the Season 1 set. But this leaves me baffled on the whole notion of "wait to see how the first season sells before greenlighting a second season". Do studios only apply that standard to certain shows? I know that the smaller outfits like Shout Factory, MPI, etc often commit to an entire series up front. But I've heard repeatedly that with the major studios it's all about the sales of Season 1.

Maybe they're basing everything on how well Season 1 did with the Time Life release...Go figure!

In any case....yet another set to add to my "Must Have" list.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Just a show of support here from me too. I love this show and I can't wait for Season 2 -- and beyond.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I'll be buying the 2nd season as well, but it really mystifies me why Time-Life is not releasing the set first. I bought the first season from them and would have continued if they had.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
its official, artwork at tvshowsondvd.
but it has the dreaded, 'some music has been changed for this home release'.
:frowning:

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator
Was there very much music in season two that would require clearing of the licensing rights?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've been thinking about that. I'm wondering if it would be one of the shows to focus on Opera? I hate opera, so it's not that big a deal to me if that's the case, but still I hope this doesn't cause a flurry of fans saying "No Sale!" to this release. I never like hearing when original elements to a show are being eliminated or are getting replaced, but I'm hoping we get ALL FIVE SEASON of "The Odd Couple". I'm also wondering, given this announcement of changed music, what may happen once we get to later seasons and guest stars who really performed songs, like Paul Williams, Roy Clark, and Jaye P. Morgan?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
This season has Richard Fredericks performing selections from Rigoletto and also "If Ever I Would Leave You" from Camelot. Then Felix and guest star David Steinberg sing a number of old radio theme songs in another show. In "Speak for Yourself" there is an instrumental version of "Just One More Chance" that plays several times. Since the other examples are part of the story, I would guess that the latter would be the easiest target for replacement.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
The more opera they can cut out, the better (just half-kidding here) but the "Just One More Chance" bit is vital to the story, yes? Are you sure we don't hear the words there (it's been a while since I saw these episodes).

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Apparently the pap Time-Life was putting out was the sales weren't high enough. Hard to believe considering the fact that they had to produce more copies to handle pre-orders. It is possible that Paramount might have either raised the licensing fee or decided not to license any more seasons to Time-Life.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
They don't use the words, or even the title. It is just a nice nod to an earlier episode in which Felix says it was their song. The instrumental could be replaced without any peculiarities resulting in the dialogue or the story. It would just be a shame.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the sales of Season One, my Best Buy had about 7 to 10 copies there last week and today they were all gone. Prior to this I had been unable to first spot them on the shelves when S1 was initially released, as they'd probably gone fast then too.

I'm not saying this proves anything, but the show has been hard to keep on the shelves of my store anyway, apparently.

neuroticomic

Agent
Real Name
tommy
yea that Steinberg Ep is in the second season.
But arent those old songs from the 40s, public domain?

I know he sang the 'Theme from Little Orphan Annie'.
'How Do you do' which is a 1920's song and
'one hour with you', the eddie cantor show theme from the 30s.

figured those woul;d be usable.

Charlie Chaplins 'Smile was in the second season ep, "Felix' Wife's Boyfriend"

as well as the aformentioned, If Ever I WoulD Leave You' on the 'Rigoletto" Ep.

ah, they should have left em in
:)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be interesting to see what has been tampered with for Season Two, and where that leaves this show for future seasons. Because as we've said, many stories or key moments in the show revolve around certain songs. You can't, for instance, cut out the sequence where Felix is singing "Little Orphan Annie" on the Steinberg show. You also have to have Felix singing "Smile" while banging his head against the wall, for another example. Where would be be without the "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar" calypso song?

I hope we're over-reacting at this early stage, but Paramount should get hold of one fact: There are bootlegs of the entire run of 114 episodes out there --- and I work with a guy whose girlfriend bought him the entire series on DVD as a Christmas gift. Now, this guy is the sort of person who doesn't know or care what's really "official" or not, so when I laughed and told him his girl wasted her money because Paramount themselves would be releasing the first two seasons and doing them "right," he said he was happy with what he already has. Well, whatever the case, I know one thing -- his episodes have all the music intact.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Depending on the classification, songs would be protected for either 95 years or 70 years from the death of the composer. I certainly don't want to wait that long for DVDs! On the other hand, most of the songs in question are not so frequently used or in such demand that the price should be exceptionally high. As for the calypso song, I would have to hope that we wouldn't have rights issues with original songs written for the show...How much will Kohan and Angelos hold out for on "Happy and Peppy and Bursting With Love"?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
you'd be amazed by what a music publisher will demand for songs your parents sang.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Not a big deal on the Odd Couple like it was on WKRP as the plot rarely revolved around music, unless it was Opera, Of Course.

I Can't wait to hear "There are Pits..Pits..Pits.. in My Juice..Juice..Juice"

Just Classic

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Problem is that you could'nt just easily replace the song, if it's not something in the background, the entire scene might be cut as were some in Addams Family where Morticia was singing some tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks