Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Help me find Mysterious Stones name

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted March 28 2007 - 07:24 AM

I saw a show years ago about mysteries. and I want to know what these stones are called.

Apparently there are these stones that were found are thousands of years old. supposedly there are like 7 rumored to exist, but only 5 have ever been found. These stones were perfect, (meaning that even with laser cutting technology of today we still couldn't create such a perfectly shaped stone). allegedly these "stones" have enormous amounts of information (silicon based memory), I think the rumor was that it contained the history of the world but the couple who possessed one of the stones said they consulted a computer guy at the time and they said that the world was tens of years away from developing that kind of storage capacity let alone seeing if they could get anything out of it. I think the stones were of an Aztec background. I wanted to read up on them more. its been several years since I saw it so my facts could be wrong. Google didn't pull anything up either. Any ideas?
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#2 of 27 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted March 28 2007 - 09:30 AM

I think that was on an episode of Stargate.

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 28 2007 - 10:10 AM

I'm more interested in the Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull
Quote:
The Mitchell-Hedges family loaned the skull to Hewlett-Packard Laboratories for extensive study in 1970. Art restorer Frank Dorland oversaw the testing at the Santa Clara, California, computer equipment manufacturer, a leading facility for crystal research. The HP examinations yielded some startling results.

Researchers found that the skull had been carved against the natural axis of the crystal. Modern crystal sculptors always take into account the axis, or orientation of the crystal's molecular symmetry, because if they carve "against the grain," the piece is bound to shatter -- even with the use of lasers and other high-tech cutting methods.

To compound the strangeness, HP could find no microscopic scratches on the crystal which would indicate it had been carved with metal instruments. Dorland's best hypothesis for the skull's construction is that it was roughly hewn out with diamonds, and then the detail work was meticulously done with a gentle solution of silicon sand and water. The exhausting job -- assuming it could possibly be done in this way -- would have required man-hours adding up to 300 years to complete.

Under these circumstances, experts believe that successfully crafting a shape as complex as the Mitchell-Hedges skull is impossible; as one HP researcher is said to have remarked, "The damned thing simply shouldn't be."

"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted March 28 2007 - 01:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia....._of_Costa_Rica

I remember seeing a Discovery channel show where they tried to recreate these using traditional techniques. IIRC they were successful.

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted March 28 2007 - 01:29 PM

More info: http://www.world-mys....com/sar_12.htm

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 01:25 AM

Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull

Yes, I think that is what it is. Ill have to Wiki it and see if anything else triggers my memory. I could've sworn that one was green though.
Gear: Crestron AADS, Crestron 4L, RTI T2C, SVS PC 16-46, Xbox 360, Wii, Bass Shakers, TiVo HD, Toshiba A3 HD-DVD, 42" Panasonic TH-42PWD8UK, two Denon AVR-2106's, Speaker Craft Aim 7 Five's, Samsung HD-950 DVD player.

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 02:57 AM

What!?!? Not even one reference to the Sankara Stones!?!?

What kind of home theater forum is this?

Posted Image

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 03:22 AM

Assuming of course that the Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull was really found there and not bought and placed. It's not easy getting good skull.

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 05:23 AM

after reading the Wiki on the skills, I do not think those were the ones in the show I had watched. Perhaps I was right and they were just stones not skulls. As I said, I think they were silicon based in nature which is why it was rumored that it contained data, and Im pretty sure the couple that possessed one of the stones had a green one.

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 06:31 AM

Do you know what channel you were watching?

All I can find is a RPG reference that sounds like what you're looking for.

I'm more fascinated with the Antikythera Mechanism. I saw a Discovery Channel show on this recently. Pretty fascinating.

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poehlman
Do you know what channel you were watching?

All I can find is a RPG reference that sounds like what you're looking for.

I'm more fascinated with the Antikythera Mechanism. I saw a Discovery Channel show on this recently. Pretty fascinating.
Seriously I couldn't even remember, I must have been about 18 at the time, so thats at least 8 years ago. Whatever it was it was on Standard Cable, so chances are it would've been either TLC, or Discovery. I really wish I could remember more. I would've liked to see that special you mentioned. Was it on the Discovery HD?

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Buzz Foster

Buzz Foster

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 07:15 AM

I like when I put my crystal skull next to my Costa Rica sphere, and they glow, and then I use the Antikythera mechanism to levitate stones to build the great pyramids.

The Sphinx told me how.
Look up!  Scream in terror!  Get smooshed!  Fear me, for I am PARTYZILLA!

facebook.com/getthebuzz  facebook.com/partyzilla

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
I would've liked to see that special you mentioned. Was it on the Discovery HD?

I saw it about a year ago.. and saw it was just on again recently. I'm not exactly sure, it might even have been on the History Channel.. I think the show is called "Ancient Mysteries"... or "Ancient Technologies". It's a series, I believe.

There was another one about the Greek inventor Heron who invented automatic doors and even a steam engine. Pretty amazing.

[EDIT:] I found it.. it's called "Ancient Discoveries" on the History Channel. They have several episodes on machines.

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Foster
I like when I put my crystal skull next to my Costa Rica sphere, and they glow, and then I use the Antikythera mechanism to levitate stones to build the great pyramids.

The Sphinx told me how.
But did the Sphinx tell you why we have to enter the #'s 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 into the computer?

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 10:12 AM

Chu,

Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai
Assuming of course that the Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull was really found there and not bought and placed. It's not easy getting good skull.

Most people believe Mitchell-Hedges purchased the skull at auction in the 1940s. The "ancient mayan curse" is only there to impress the people who aren't impressed with the overall engineering and mysterious construction of the thing. (cause its really a pretty boring thing otherwise... just kinda sits there).
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,907 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 29 2007 - 02:42 PM

Ancient Mayan curse, huh?

Posted Image

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 29 2007 - 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Lundy
I'm more interested in the Mitchell-Hedges crystal skull
Sounds like something Indy will retrieve in IV. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,907 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 22 2007 - 04:42 PM

Along the lines of the original post, I saw a print article a few years back about a burial cavern found in South America, I believe, that contained crystalized skeletons. I can't seem to find anything about that online. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a link or specifics?

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Jean D

Jean D

Screenwriter

• 1,329 posts

Posted April 23 2007 - 01:26 PM

I wish, that sounds interesting.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow