-

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Matching

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   Fernalfer

Fernalfer

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted March 28 2007 - 01:17 AM

I currently have a Yamaha R-XV1700 reciever, Onix X-CS Center, X-LS for fronts. I have HTD level 3's for rear surrounds because the X-LS's are rear ported and my rear speakers need to go against the wall.

Now i want to add 2 more rear surrounds Should i buy 2 more x-ls's so most of my system matches or should i buy 2 more HTD Level 3's so the rears all match and the fronts all match. I heard for the rears matching is not as crucial. Any input is appreciated.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted March 28 2007 - 02:06 AM

it's a tough call. you are correct that matching rears/ surrounds is less important than mains and center speakers. the problem with unmatched speakers is that as a sound is panned from one speaker to another or sent to two speakers simultaneously, our brain might recognize the difference in sound, thus blowing the illusion. given that 7.1 receivers create the surround and rear surround channels from the same single signal, maybe it's better to have them match.
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,537 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 28 2007 - 05:34 AM

I would wait a little bit, as I believe they are coming out with a surround model for the X-series...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein