-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Remakes or adaptations with little or no credit


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

    Lead Actor

  • 7,588 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 1998

Posted March 26 2007 - 09:55 AM

I got back on this subject after seeing High Tension, but it's been something that's really been bugging me the last few years. Sometimes a film is dead-on without credit, other times it's really similar but slightly adjusted.

High Tension - Intensity by Dean Koontz
(no credit given, direct adaptation)

Into the Blue - remake of The Deep

Disturbia - appears to be a remake of Rear Window
(subject to change if plot is really different)

The Girl Next Door - Risky Business
(I really liked this remake, but still there was no writing credit that I know of or any open acknowledgement of RB)

Bug's Life - Seven Samurai
(not really a big issue for me since it's a kids version, but still it would be nice if people acknowledged it more)

DePalma alone has several Hitch "remakes"
***SPOILERS FOR THESE FILMS, CAREFUL****






Dressed to Kill - Psycho
(shower reference is even made to the lead who will be killed early in the film in a different location, very, very, similar manner, including the killer in drag)

Blow Out - Rear Window
(he witnesses a murder he thinks, joins forces with a herione to solve the case, puts her in harms way and is unable to come to her aid when she gets in danger trying to get evidence while he is watching/listening)

Body Double - Vertigo
(wow, maybe hide the plot point from the title at least, husband gets away with murder by hiring a look-alike to pose as his wife for a fall guy to watch and then witness the murder, sexual attaction is used to get the guy to watch/follow her)



There are plenty more, some I can't remember and others I'm not sure about. I know there is the Lion King thing for Disney, I haven't seen the original to be sure. Haven't they had a couple of these in fact?

So which ones come to mind for you and how do you feel about this odd practice?


Let me add that changing settings such as Elizabeth being Godfather-like (aka the ending mostly) it doesn't bother me nearly as much, taking a story and reinventing it in a new location or new situation can be interesting, like Yojimbo-Fistful or even Seven Sam-Mag Seven.

#2 of 34 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

    Lead Actor

  • 7,123 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 11 2003
  • Real Name:Michael Elliott
  • LocationKY

Posted March 26 2007 - 10:08 AM

This happens all the time.

You could say all the 80's slashers were just remakes of HALLOWEEN with different killers, different ways to die and so on.

You could say the countless exorcism films of the 70's were remakes of THE EXORCIST.

You could say the countless JAWS rips (be it whales, other sharks, giant turtles) were remakes.

The "teen/sex" films all follow the same formula of ANIMAL HOUSE or PORKY'S.

The disaster film just has a different disaster but the same type of character development and the same type of people die in each film.

#3 of 34 Ray H

Ray H

    Producer

  • 3,477 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 13 2002
  • Real Name:Ray
  • LocationNJ

Posted March 26 2007 - 01:12 PM

They seemed to try and hide the fact that The Departed was a remake. There was no mention of the original film in the credits for the trailers and print ads. And during the end credits, the original film isn't credited after/before the screenplay credit as it usually is. Infernal Affairs isn't mentioned until half way through the credits, when everyone's already stopped watching it! But it's good to see it getting mentioned in all the reviews and articles and from the filmmakers of Oscar night. Posted Image

X-Men doesn't credit Stan Lee and Jack Kirby for creating the original comic. They do get a Special Thanks though.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

 


#4 of 34 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

    Producer

  • 3,031 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 18 2003

Posted March 26 2007 - 01:13 PM

Quote:
I know there is the Lion King thing for Disney
The Lion King is pretty damned close to Hamlet, just without the incest.

The most obvious one is The Island, which is basically a remake of a low-budget film called Parts: The Clonus Horror. There's a pretty good analysis of the two films over at The Agony Booth.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#5 of 34 Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

    Producer

  • 4,329 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 04 2002
  • Real Name:Yee Ming Lim

Posted March 26 2007 - 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray H
They seemed to try and hide the fact that The Departed was a remake. There was no mention of the original film in the credits for the trailers and print ads. And during the end credits, the original film isn't credited after/before the screenplay credit as it usually is. Infernal Affairs isn't mentioned until half way through the credits, when everyone's already stopped watching it! But it's good to see it getting mentioned in all the reviews and articles and from the filmmakers of Oscar night. Posted Image
Although the idiots doing the voice-overs referred to it as a Japanese film, when it was from Hong Kong, and Marty deftly corrected that in his speech.

#6 of 34 WillG

WillG

    Producer

  • 5,218 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 30 2003

Posted March 27 2007 - 02:55 AM

Quote:
The Lion King is pretty damned close to Hamlet

Oddly enough, some elements of "Strange Brew" are pretty close to Hamlet as well
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#7 of 34 Martino

Martino

    Supporting Actor

  • 616 posts
  • Join Date: May 05 1999
  • Real Name:Martin O.
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA

Posted March 27 2007 - 04:05 AM

The Lion King is a direct rip-off of a Japanese series of "Kimba - the white lion" - I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere. Kimba was one of my favorite series as a kid, so I got a VHS copy and was shocked on how similar it is....including:

main villain - has a scar on his face
Friends include:
wise bird
wart-hog
Father figure dies - talks to Kimba from a cloud
Simba = Kimba - only replaced 1 letter in the main characters name....

There is a whole article on it here:

http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

#8 of 34 JonZ

JonZ

    Lead Actor

  • 7,793 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 28 1998

Posted March 27 2007 - 04:29 AM

I have never and never will watch The Lion King.

#9 of 34 IanDP

IanDP

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 103 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 28 2006

Posted March 27 2007 - 05:12 AM

I was just recently reading about a movie called "Chaos" (from 2005) which is supposedly a remake of "Last House on the Left", but completely unofficially. They say it's almost identical, but there no credit given. I've seen neither movie, by the way.

I disagree with OP's opinion on A Bugs Life. I think it may be inspired by Seven Samurai but not a remake(I've never seen 7S but I just read the plot on Wikipedia). You could also say A Bugs Life (circus performers mistaken for warriors brought in to save a town, hilarity ensues) was inspired by the Three Amigos (actors mistaken for fighters brought in to save a town, hilarity ensues).That plot point itself sounds like something that might have originally occurred in a 3 Stooges, or Laurel and Hardy short. It just goes to show that ideas are used over and over, especially with kids movies. For instance, can you think of ANYTHING original in the plot of Finding Nemo? or Cars?

#10 of 34 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

    Producer

  • 3,999 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 09 2000

Posted March 27 2007 - 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Paxton
Body Double - Vertigo
(wow, maybe hide the plot point from the title at least, husband gets away with murder by hiring a look-alike to pose as his wife for a fall guy to watch and then witness the murder, sexual attaction is used to get the guy to watch/follow her)
DePalma's made quite a career out of remaking Hitchcock films with mucho added lurid action. But unless I'm mistaken, it's "OBSESSION" that's his 'remake' of "VERTIGO", even including a Bernard Herrmann score that sounds like a variation on the vertigo theme. Not a half-bad flick, but - you know - not exactly "VERTIGO" either.

I don't know if he actually credits Hitchcock or not - really doesn't matter much to me - but it's not exactly a secret that DePalma rose to glory with his various takes on the patently Hitchcockian themes and style.
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#11 of 34 Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

    Producer

  • 6,068 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 20 2001
  • Real Name:Kenneth McAlinden
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted March 27 2007 - 06:49 AM

"Body Double" was actually a mash-up of "Vertigo" and "Rear Window".

"Alien" is pretty much a remake of "It! The Terror from Beyond Space".

Plotwise, "The Lion King" owes more to "Hamlet" than any episode of "Kimba".

Pamela Anderson's "Barb Wire", ostensibly adapted from a comic book, is an uncredited remake of "Casablanca", although the stripping and fake breasts are novel.

Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#12 of 34 kenNew

kenNew

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 79 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 22 2006

Posted March 27 2007 - 09:41 AM

Jurassic Park 2: The Lost World not only shared its title with the Arthur Conan Doyle story but much of its plot as well. And yet the only author credited was Michael Crichton.
And the first half of Gladiator used many of the characters and plot of Fall of the Roman Empire followed by a second half which was similar to Spartacus then switching back to 'Empire' for the final duel.

#13 of 34 Robert Floto

Robert Floto

    Supporting Actor

  • 739 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 27 1999

Posted March 27 2007 - 10:19 AM

Quote:
Blow Out - Rear Window

I'm pretty sure Blow Out is a remake of 60's film Blow Up.
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#14 of 34 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

    Screenwriter

  • 2,607 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 19 1999

Posted March 27 2007 - 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Floto
I'm pretty sure Blow Out is a remake of 60's film Blow Up.

Yep, it's definitely a remake of Blow Up.

Many say that All That Jazz was an adaptation of Fellini's 8 1/2.

M. Night's "The Village" adapting (or ripping off) the book "Running out of Time".

#15 of 34 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

    Lead Actor

  • 7,123 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 11 2003
  • Real Name:Michael Elliott
  • LocationKY

Posted March 27 2007 - 04:58 PM

KING KONG (1933) was pretty much a rip of THE LOST WORLD (1925).

And let's not forget Bronson's CABOBLANCO.

#16 of 34 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

    Lead Actor

  • 7,588 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 1998

Posted March 28 2007 - 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLouwrens
The Lion King is pretty damned close to Hamlet, just without the incest.

The most obvious one is The Island, which is basically a remake of a low-budget film called Parts: The Clonus Horror. There's a pretty good analysis of the two films over at The Agony Booth.
I don't know that film, but I thought the Island had a very strong tie to Logan's Run as well.

Utopian world where a contest determines who gets to "leave", characters are secretly hidden in an underground base, guy and girl "run" and are chased down by a cop/bounty hunter who pursues them relentlessly, they are amazed to discover the outside world that they didn't know about, they return to their city and free all the other people with a final shot of them all coming out of the city.


Michael, I don't mean in the sense of "just another slasher" or "just another boy meets girl". I mean where the imagery, setting, characters, major plot points, etc are all extremely similar.

Again, Bug's Life which is Seven Samurai. Not kinda the same, it's exactly that story.

To me Elm St is not like Halloween, or even Friday the 13th. All 3 are different stories in the same genre. Certainly one film inspires others to follow that genre, but at that point the filmmakers create a different set of situations and characters. Freddie, Jason and The Shape all have different rules, and in fact Jason isn't even Jason in the first film.



I understand that in each DePalma film he lifts from various Hitch sources (and others), but my point is the skeleton script is almost identical. The premise of Body Double IS the premise of Vertigo, it's the exact same pitch being made. At moments other scenes might drop in from other films, but Body Double even involves the witness/hero accidentally noticing the look-alike and obsessing over her because of his original attraction to the real woman. This happens midway through the film and much of the mystery is unraveled as he pursues her.

Not only that, but remember that he has a problem just like Stewart's Vertigo, he can't stand confined spaces and the killer intentionally uses that fact to keep him from following the wife at one point. Not exactly at the point of the body dump as in Vert, but still around the same time stamp of the film. The structures are nearly identical. Watch them both again if you've forgotten.


Quote:
I disagree with OP's opinion on A Bugs Life. I think it may be inspired by Seven Samurai but not a remake(I've never seen 7S but I just read the plot on Wikipedia). You could also say A Bugs Life (circus performers mistaken for warriors brought in to save a town, hilarity ensues) was inspired by the Three Amigos
True, the 3 amigoes aspect is there too, but that film is also strongly inspired by Seven Sam. The first section of 7 Sam is about the bandits and then about the solution to go to town and find warriors. The characters go from scene to scene watching them in action, whereas the 3 Amigoes are famous film stars. After observing the characters they are approached to come to town to help them. That's why it plays so close to me. It's a twist version of it of course, but it's that story.

Not only that, but the 3 Amigoes are all similar, whereas in 7 Sam and Bug's Life the various warriors are all very different types which includes Mifune's comic relief. And just how many bugs are there? 7 if you count the twin pill bugs as one (since they always work as a single unit).

And in both 7 Sam and Bug's Life the plan is always for the town to help out rather than just the warriors doing the fighting. In 3 Amigos the 3 of them are initially supposed to do all the work and it's only when they are found out as frauds that they change their plan.

It's just extremely close to the pacing/plot of 7 Sam except played for a lot more comedy and with the twist that they are frauds. In fact if they aren't frauds it's 100% 7 Sam.

#17 of 34 Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

    Lead Actor

  • 7,588 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 05 1998

Posted March 28 2007 - 09:25 PM

Quote:
Yep, it's definitely a remake of Blow Up.
A little bit, but it's closer to Rear Window still, specifically because of the guy/girl dynamic and the climax where he must send the girl in to get the info while he watches from afar at a distance too far to help when he hears/sees her confronted by the killer. Of course Rear Window has a more upbeat ending to that final moment.

Blow Up he does also accidentally witness a murder, while in Rear Window it's not an accident and he hasn't caught evidence on film/tape. But after that the boy/girl investigation plot runs a lot closer to Rear Window IMO.

Quote:
Many say that All That Jazz was an adaptation of Fellini's 8 1/2.

M. Night's "The Village" adapting (or ripping off) the book "Running out of Time".
Haven't read Running Out of Time, but I'll keep that in my mind as an example.

Definitely think a case can be made for the Jazz/8.5 comparison. Artist reviewing his life's choices in a bizarre dreamlike use of his own creative medium. Definitely a very similar premise at the very least.



Barb Wire and Gladiator were two that I had in mind but had forgotten, good call.


If KK is a rip of Lost World (Doyle) then JP2 using the KK ending puts it in line to be a Lost World rip as well (down to the name). I don't know LW perfectly well to say, certainly I know the premise and have seen variations of it.


Outland and High Noon is another example. At least it was an example (like Bugs Life) of changing the setting drastically in order to make it fresh.


I just thought of another, isn't Legend of Hell House a remake of The Haunting (of Hill House if you are talking the Jackson story first) but with no credit given? Reading at IMDb appears to indicate that the source novel for Hell House is fairly different from The Haunting. Still as films they are at times pretty similar.

#18 of 34 TonyD

TonyD

    Executive Producer

  • 16,080 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 01 1999
  • Real Name:Tony D.
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 29 2007 - 03:24 AM

four brothers/sons of karie elder
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 34 Haggai

Haggai

    Producer

  • 3,883 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 03 2003

Posted March 29 2007 - 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Paxton
Definitely think a case can be made for the Jazz/8.5 comparison. Artist reviewing his life's choices in a bizarre dreamlike use of his own creative medium. Definitely a very similar premise at the very least.

It is very similar in premise and in some of the structure, though Bob Fosse did All That Jazz as his own personal version, i.e. the story of his own life. But there's no question that the influence was there; Fosse had earlier directed both the stage and movie versions of the musical Sweet Charity, which was an acknowledged re-make of Fellini's Nights of Cabiria.

I didn't know about the Japanese cartoon that became The Lion King--wow! That's pretty blatant!

#20 of 34 Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

    Lead Actor

  • 7,123 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 11 2003
  • Real Name:Michael Elliott
  • LocationKY

Posted March 29 2007 - 05:59 AM

Quote:
To me Elm St is not like Halloween, or even Friday the 13th. All 3 are different stories in the same genre. Certainly one film inspires others to follow that genre, but at that point the filmmakers create a different set of situations and characters. Freddie, Jason and The Shape all have different rules, and in fact Jason isn't even Jason in the first film.

F13>
DON'T GO IN THE WOODS>
SLEEPAWAY CAMP>
any other teen in the woods/at camp flick. There's no doubt what these films were trying to be like.

THE BOOGEYMAN certain had the same plot elements of HALLOWEEN with a touch of THE EXORCIST added in. Jess Franco's BLOODY MOON has the exact same opening of HALLOWEEN.

THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM, ABBY (to a point), BEYOND THE DOOR had too many similarities to THE EXORCIST and that's probably why Warner got them kicked out of the country.

Even with JAWS, stuff like ORCA, THE LAST SHARK, MONSTER SHARK, KILLER SHARK and various others used the same type of characters (a dumb mayor, a great cop, a crazy hunter) to where there's no doubt it's a rip.

How many times did Bronson play a variation on his character in DEATH WISH? The new film might have had a different character name, a different setting and a different cast but it's still meant to be that DEATH WISH role.


Back to Movies (Theatrical)



Forum Nav Content I Follow