What's new

Simon & Simon Season 2?? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Although not as popular as Magnum P.I. I thought that Simon & Simon had enough of a following to get at least the first four or five seasons released. It's not a good sign that we haven't heard anything about season two. Anyone out there know anything??

Duane Alford

Second Unit
It was on for 8 seasons, and even had a reunion movie. I'm sure it has a following equal to, or greater than Magnum. Forget the first 4 or 5 seasons, I want them all!

I'm waiting for the next season too.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Yup, I want them all too. You'd have thought if it did well a second season would've been announced by now? I really hope seasons 2+ are released. I love the show!!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone heard anything else about this set yet? I've been putting off buying the first season ... I'm wondering if maybe Universal has abandoned the series ...

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Mark,

Simon & Simon Season 1 was released on the same day as one of the Magnum P.I. releases. During the time right before and right after their releases, I saw the Simon & Simon Amazon.com sales ranking much lower than Magnum's. While this only tallies Amazon's sales, I like to use Amazon's sales as a benchmark for dvd popularity (assuming an equal percentage of people buy from Amazon for all dvds).

I think Magnum has been a pretty consistent upper range seller for Universal, so that might mean Simon & Simon is a more of a borderline case, not an absolute "never again" case. It just depends on how many fewer units it sold.

I'd love to see the totals for these types of older shows. Making up numbers, if Magnum sold 70,000 earning Universal a nice profit, would Simon & Simon's 40,000 units sold earn it another release?

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
I am also waiting for season 2 but have given up hope.. Especially as there were only 13 or so episodes in the 1st season

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I hate Universal's policy, whatever it is, on TV DVDs, it's one long story of abandonings of popular titles... Let us have them, no matter what, for Pete's sake...

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I really wish that Universal would hurry up and announce a release date for Season 2 since nearly all of Universals TV Shows have been released to DVD I doubt Universal has much else to release as far as those old shows go.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

No offense, Mark, but you're kidding, right?

Besides all the shows they've started releasing on DVD and not finished (Simon & Simon, Adam-12, Kojak, Amazing Stories, Leave it to Beaver, Quincy, etc.), they've still got tons of unreleased properties that people out there wouldn't mind having.

Major Dad, Marcus Welby, Whiz Kids, Sheriff Lobo, BJ and the Bear, Centennial, Ellery Queen, Switch, The Gemini Man, Get Christie Love!, Wagon Train, Rich Man Poor Man, B.L. Stryker, House Calls...need I go on? Oh, yeah, you laugh at some of those titles, but I get e-mails asking for them all the time. BJ and the Bear may seem nutty for me to bring up, but it's the 47th most-wanted unreleased show at TSoD. :)

Of course, Uni will never release the one I want, a forgotten little program called Otherworld.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I keep getting asked about BJ & the Bear, I don't think it is nutty, a lot of people grew up with that show, it has a huge nostalgia following. Hopefully that and Sheriff Lobo are high up on their list of potential releases.

From what I read Switch is up my alley and would probably be a worthwhile blind buy to people that like this type of show. I've seen something of the "making of it" on the Hardy Boys Nancy Drew Mysteries Season 2, they were solving a mystery at the studios all of these mystery TV series were made, some other cameos of important 70 series are there and Casey Kasem plays Columbo.

B.L. Stryker is still coming from TV Guide, right?

I am curious about Whiz Kids. I do not think I have seen this but I keep getting images of a Radio Shack comic book in relation to the phrase, any relation?

Also Bring on more Simon & Simon.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Ah, yes, it slipped my mind. Actually coming from Arts Alliance America, as part of their "TV Guide Presents" line-up. Honestly, I'm not sure how much TV Guide has to do with these other than licensing the name/logo to AAA.

It certainly doesn't cross my path, other than I get info about these TV-DVDs the same as I do for any other TV-DVDs.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
Hey Dave, do you think it's possible that Universal will pick up where they left off 4 or so years ago by releasing one of the TV shows they basically released all at once, e.g kojak quincy mccloud...?
Is there one that you get a lot of e-mails about or Universal are considering?
I know Hardy Boys, Hitchcock presents and Emergency were released around this time and they have had spacious releases.
Thanks

Duane Alford

Second Unit

Wow, 47th and still no plans on a release. I was a kid when it came on, and watched it every week. And it made me want to become a truck driver.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Dave, lordy oh lordy. I can't believe that anyone else remembered that series. Otherworld was always my favourite and I remember watching it during its initial broadcasts. I just wish Universal would get on the ball regarding the action TV shows that they produced.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I remember otherwold slightly, If i recall correctly it was like 5 or 6 episodes before it was cancelled. But do not hold me to that. I definately hope we will see more Simon & Simon, as the best is yet to come!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
8 episodes, from January to March of 1985.

Gretchen Corbett and Sam Groom, with Tony O'Dell and the wonderfully evil Jonathan Banks (fresh from a great bad guy role in 48 Hours!).

It's actually ranked decently high among TVShowsOnDVD voters...440th on the unreleased list. I'm hoping that someday Shout! or Arts Alliance America will license it and get it out there, but I'm not holding my breath.

Aryn, love the Shea Stadium logo under your name there.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on picking up Simon and Simon Season 1 tomorrow and I hope that Universal makes an announcement soon.

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
Wow, I started this thread back in March, and still nothing..That sucks..

I found what Jeffo stated to be very interesting. I too would like to see how different the sales figures are between S&S & Magnum.

It's funny. My wife is a huge Murder She Wrote fan. I told her a few years back not to get too excited about the DVD releases, because they probably wouldn't even get to Season 3. Well here we are at Season 7.
I NEVER in a MILLLION YEARS expected the Simon Brothers to get beat out by Angela Lansbury..But, you never know!!

So how about it Dave, what do you think. Can you do some digging to see if this is a dead horse or not?

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I believe Murder She Wrote was the #1 show on the day it aired or atleast it's time slot for almost every year it was on the air. So there were probably alot more people who watched that. But it is still surprising to me that Simon & Simon is yet to see a 2nd season. It ran for 8 years and had reunion movies, so it had to have a strong following. Gord told me awhile back that universal told them there will not be anymore releases due to lack of sales. But he also told me that while saying never say never things can change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks