Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

battlestar galactica grainyness

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   keenwatcher

keenwatcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 07:08 AM

The new battlestar galactica dvd's (S1, S2.0, S2.5)-- almost all have some scenes that are grainy, is this intended? or a defect? is it to show the gritty nature of the series? I ordered mine through an online retailer and hate to go to the trouble of packing them all up and exchanging them through the mail. I might get the same grainyness all over again if this is part of the intended effect of the show. Thanks for anyone who knows about this and can help answer this.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,741 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 08:06 AM

It's not a defect. It's how the show looks.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 09:35 AM

It makes the show looks dirty and gritty, and i think that is what they intended.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 10:50 AM

Iwondered about this some time ago as well, and indeed, the graininees is part of the presentation - dark, grim, gritty and not meant to be a 'pretty' show at all. Somehow, I couldnt even imagine it in some kind of pristine clarity - doesnt suit the nature of the show. Will be interesting to see how it looks in hi def later this year.
Peter

My Collection

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,297 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 02:42 PM

Isn't this shot on Super 16 as well? That would add quite a lot of grain to the look.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,890 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted March 24 2007 - 03:15 PM

My understanding that it is shot in HD and the grain is added in post. So the HD release would not necessarily make this "better."

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 2,073 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 04:43 PM

I saw a couple of eps in HD when they were shown on NBC and I thought the show looked great.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   njoberheim

njoberheim

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 25 2007 - 10:41 AM

Yeah, the grainyness is intended. I remember when I first got my Plasma TV. It was one of the first DVD's I popped in to be blown away. I thought something was wrong with the TV! The wierd thing about it is that not all the scenes are grainy. It comes and goes.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted March 26 2007 - 05:55 AM

It's probably due to the deterioration of the film or whatever ...

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   keenwatcher

keenwatcher

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted March 27 2007 - 07:36 AM

Thanks all for the input. I followed up on some website reviews and confirmed that the grainyness is indeed the intended effect of the show. Strangely, as someone mentioned here, some scenes are clear/vivid while others are grainy. Which really threw me, I thought the dvds were defective but they aren't. Now I don't have to worry about the hassle of exchanging them thru the mail.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Allan^L

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator

• 106 posts

Posted March 27 2007 - 01:40 PM

That's also intentional. I really like the look of this show, especially those really fast zoom-in shots for the space scenes. I love Star Trek but it's such a contrast in its visual aesthetic. Even DS9, the darkest and grittiest of the series, is very classical and sweeping in its shot composition and overall look. For an old mining station, it looks so pristine and elegant all the time!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted April 02 2007 - 11:08 AM

I just saw a HD version of "The Passage" on the Universal HD channel, and the show was so grainy it looked worse than the regular SD version on the SCI-FI channel. If the graininess is purposely done in post, I think it sucks. Just plain awful.
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Joel Fontenot

Joel Fontenot

Supporting Actor

• 705 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted April 05 2007 - 02:17 PM

I disagree. I too have seen many episodes on Universal HD - and it's much better looking than the horribly blotchy, fuzzy look you get on SciFi. And because SciFi is not in HD, it's letterboxed so that (if you wanted) you have to zoom it on an HD set - and that just looks worse. Only IMHO, of course.
Joel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users