What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Happy Feet *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED* (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
ronsreviews_covers_81929.jpg">

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the review, Neil. I'm getting this on Blu-ray this week and am really looking forward to it.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice review Neil. :emoji_thumbsup: Got my pre-order in and look forward to it. This was is a blind buy having missed it in theaters last fall.

From your review and others on the net, looks like Happy Feet is a reference HD DVD. :cool:

Matt Leigh

Stunt Coordinator
Great Review! I Loved this movie to pieces and have to agree with the academy for the nominations, Cars, Monster House, and Happy Feet were the three best animated films of the year.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to go with the HD DVD on this one, since it has the better sound between it and Blu apparently. Glad I went with both formats so I can pick and choose when needed.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
It is well known that the Blu-ray version of "Happy Feet" will not have lossless "HD audio" on the disc, but does anyone know why the HD DVD will only have a " Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround track", instead of 6.1 channels? Especially when the film already has 6.1 sound with the "English Dolby Digital Surround EX" track on disc?:rolleyes

When Blu-ray released the movie "Crank", it came with a 6.1 audio track in the form of "English Dolby Digital Surround EX" and also Lossless "English Uncompressed PCM 6.1 Surround", to take advantage of the extra channel!:cool:

Just wondering since the extra channel is there, if there is such a thing as "Dolby TrueHD 6.1 Surround"?

Paul

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
DD EX is only 5.1 with the rear channel matrixed into the left and right surrounds. If your receiver can perform this processing on the PCM or analog inputs coming from the player, then it would probably be identical to the EX track. This would depend on your receiver having this capability obviously though.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Like mentioned above I don't understand why the TruHd is limited to 5.1 when it can do 8 channels?

Unless i'm wrong on HD-DVD both TruHd and DD+ can do 8 channels so why the limitation to 5.1?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
How would you listen to it?

I must say I planned to skip this movie, but these reviews and recommendations, along with some others on the net, made me order the HD DVD a few minutes ago!

Thanks, Neil!

Cees

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
With so few decent movies available lately I decided what the heck - at least it will look good, and I'm always looking for an excuse to watch something HD on my pj. I have to admit though , overall it was pretty a pretty good film and it sure does look great!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Decoding 6.1-or-more-channels TrueHD? No, I don't.

Of course I will still pick up the Happy Feet HD DVD. :)

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

Cees, we are not talking ABOUT DOLBYTRUEHD capable receivers ok ?
there are of course NONE at this moment..... but there are many receivers
capable of LPCM7.1

as far as I know Toshiba will decode DobyTrueHD and send PCM out...
and I am sure same as with PS3 and they have to decode up to 7.1 channles...

I know Cees you are so HD DVD ;) that I can't hear it anymore :) hehe

Marek

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Which is clearly about TrueHD, and rightly so, because this is a thread about the HD DVD release of Happy Feet.

Cees

MarekM

Supporting Actor

no Cees I don't see any talks about RECEIVERS !!
only about limitation of DolbyTrueHD and DD+ to 5.1 channels.....

so how is it ? There is no LIMITATION to 5.1, so the question is why they are doing only 5.1

Marek

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Hi Ken, I have updated my review to indicate. In essence, only the two new animated sequences (Mumble Meets A Blue Whale & A Happy Feet Moment) are 1080p/VC-1.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Warner is quite well known to be lazy. They didn't start using the higher bit rate DD until late in the game.

New Line, I expect to release 6.1 Lossless HD titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks