Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

80's Slasher movies on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#41 of 47 OFFLINE   Eric_M

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 01 2011 - 01:47 PM

Had been considering getting the 1984 slasher Don't Open Till Christmas for a while. Checked Amazon.com for the film (it was released in the UK by Film 2000. Not totally sure if that release is uncut though), and found a DVD pre-order listing for a release by a label called Mondo Macabro. Vaguely heard of this label. The release date is Tuesday 6th December.

The 2000 release was cut. You can read about it here http://www.movie-cen...t.php?ID=741327 Mondo Macabro is a pretty decent label. They've released classics like Alucarda and Satan's Blood and entertaining trash like Lady Terminator. Oh and they released Hell's Ground which was a pretty good horror / gore film as far as recent movies are concerned..

#42 of 47 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for sharing the link Eric.

Have also heard very good things about Mondo Macabro. Only title of theirs I've got is Living Doll. Looks like that Making Of documentary which was on that release will be included on the disc for Don't Open Till Christmas (read this on AV Maniacs' forum).

Do you know if the Mondo Macabro release will be uncut?

#43 of 47 OFFLINE   Eric_M

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted November 02 2011 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for sharing the link Eric. Have also heard very good things about Mondo Macabro. Only title of theirs I've got is Living Doll. Looks like that Making Of documentary which was on that release will be included on the disc for Don't Open Till Christmas (read this on AV Maniacs' forum). Do you know if the Mondo Macabro release will be uncut?

It's supposed to be uncut, yes. Another link - http://www.upcomingh...-till-christmas How is Don't Open Til Christmas by the way? I remember seeing that box all the time but I never did get to rent it or watch it. No spoilers..PLEASE!

#44 of 47 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted November 03 2011 - 11:16 AM

Have never seen Don't Open Till Christmas (1984). Decided against not getting the Film 2000 DVD release as I wasn't sure if it was uncut or not. Knew there had been cuts to the film (either for a theatrical, VHS or DVD release). Now, the documentary on the Living Doll release from Mondo Macabro could be the documentary about producer Dick Randall and the Making Of documentary is brand new. Or it could be the other way round.

It's a slasher film I've been wanting to see, as even though she only appears for a few minutes it's a Caroline Munro film I've been interested in seeing (along with Slaughter High). Also, there don't appear to be many Christmas slasher films.

Don't know if the Film 2000 release is presented in widescreen or not, but that does sound promising the Mondo Macabro release being a "brand new anamorphic transfer from negative".

As it appears to be OOP (and not sure if the release listed on Amazon.com is a legit DVD release), would like to suggest Home Sweet Home (1981) for a re-release/release on DVD.

#45 of 47 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted December 19 2011 - 09:36 AM

Couple of reviews of Mondo Macabro's release of festive slasher Don't Open Till Christmas:

Don't Open Till Christmas - DVD Drive-In review

Don't Open Till Christmas - Mondo Digital review

#46 of 47 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted December 26 2011 - 09:29 AM

Killer's Moon (filmed in 1978 but not released until 1982) is being re-released by Redemption in a "remastered" edition on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday 13th March, 2012 (source: DVD Aficionado and Amazon.com). It was previously released on DVD by Redemption in 2008.

Have Redemption released titles on Blu-ray before, and if so, are they region free?

#47 of 47 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,118 posts

Posted January 24 2012 - 03:57 AM

An early 80's slasher which I'd like to see released on DVD is Disconnected (1983). Not sure if it was filmed as a straight to VHS release or not. It's IMDb company credits page says it was distributed by Active Home Video and Video Treasures (VHS release in the US with the latter).