What's new

Great Island / Beachy Music (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Summer is right around the corner, I really need to beef up my limited island playlist. :D Here's what I have so far:

This is How I Feel – Finley Quaye
Cool Operator – Three Plus
Driving Me Pupule - Three Plus
Shade On Me - Three Plus
Honey Baby - Three Plus
Rub a Dub – 311
Cali Soca – 311 (from the '04 DVD)
Lovely Day – Donavon Frankenreiter
Better Together – Jack Johnson
Banana Pancakes – Jack Johnson

There's a whole bunch of Hawaiian/Caribbean bands out there I'd probably like.. if you know any please share.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I'd recommend the entire Donavon Frankenreiter self-titled 2004 album, so relaxing and laid back, and while I really enjoy his recent 'Move by Yourself' CD, it's got a much more funky rhythm to it.

There's always Jimmy Buffett, whose entire repertoire probably classifies as island music...

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Search for the album "Thongs in the Key of Life" - excellent stuff by a great variety of beach music artisians.....

Introduced me to my main "beach bum" - Jim Morris. Great tales of fishin', sailin' and beach bummin' along the Gulf Coast highway.

http://www.jim-morris.com/music.htm

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks for the tips on Donavon Frankenreiter, sounds awesome. Yourmusic.com has his self-titled release for 6.99.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
c'mon... Rastafari, Buffett and Brian Wilson are givens....

Another Must Have is "Cowboy Boots and Bathing Suits" by Jerry Jeff Walker. Songs recorded in either a beach-front bar or in the open foyer of his beachfront house in Belize, the tropical breeze sways through each song.... Does some great covers in his own unique style (Barefootin', Listen to the Rhythm of the Falling Rain"

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

I'd hope. Nothing says summer like a bit of Marley.

Putumayo's The Caribbean is a decent mix of newer stuff. No one I'd really heard of, but I keep it in the mix in my car. I like picking up Putumayo albums occasionally as quick intros to different stuff. The nice thing is that they're usually cheap, too.

You'd think I'd know more about Caribbean music, as I've been there enough times. Unfortunately, my friends that live there don't like the local music...

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt

I love that album. I have it on vinyl, CD and SACD.

In that vein, I picked up Putumayo's Samba Bossa Nova CD a few days ago. It has some surprisingly good songs, especially Deusa do Amor by Moreno Veloso. I actually ordered the album that one is on from just on the strength of that song. Can't wait to get it.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I've been digitizing LP's and a few days back I did two albums by Kid Creole And The Coconuts, Doppelganger & Wise Guy. These albums seem to be up the alley you're looking for. They're lite rock and R & B with an island feel. Some of the tracks have steel drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks