-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The W.C. Fields Comedy Collection Volume 3

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 12:40 PM

any chance? All Paramount titles owned by Universal
Million Dollar Legs (1932) - released on VHS looked good
If I Had a Million (1932) - released on LaserDisc (Fields segment also included on Lubitsch Touch LaserDisc set)
Tillie and Gus (1933) - no official video release
Alice in Wonderland (1933) - no official video release
Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1934) released on VHS Universal licensed to Good Times - horrible print
Mississippi (1935) no official video release

Please!

#2 of 10 Egbert Souse

Egbert Souse

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 12:49 PM

I certainly hope that they release a third collection,not holding my breath though.Of course,I never expected them to release a second collection,so I guess there`s hope.Would like to have good copies of all of Mr. Fields movies,It happened with the Marx bros.,but they only had 13 movies.If they do release a third,it`s a must buy for me.As of now i`m just patiently awaiting the arrival of the second collection in the mail,should be any day now,I hope,I hope.

#3 of 10 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,856 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 22 2007 - 12:11 AM

In regards to a possibility of a Vol 3 of Fields work that Universal still has, i would say with their track record, it all depends on how well Vol2 sales go, if it does well, then there is a good chance of seeing 3
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#4 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 01:52 AM

I am wondering why Fox is sitting on the restored TALES OF MANHATTAN? It contains some of Fields' best work and partners him with Phil Silvers, Margaret Dumont, and Marcel Dalio. One of the "Hidden Hollywood" documentaries offers footage beyond the VHS edition of TALES.
Also FOLLOW THE BOYS via MCA and SENSATIONS OF 1945 (Sony/Fox via MGM/UA?) These were his very last films.
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 10 Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
I am wondering why Fox is sitting on the restored TALES OF MANHATTAN? It contains some of Fields' best work and partners him with Phil Silvers, Margaret Dumont, and Marcel Dalio. One of the "Hidden Hollywood" documentaries offers footage beyond the VHS edition of TALES.
Also FOLLOW THE BOYS via MCA and SENSATIONS OF 1945 (Sony/Fox via MGM/UA?) These were his very last films.

I want Sensations of 1945 too since it has Eleanor Powell in it.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#6 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 05:03 AM

WB owns HER MAJESTY LOVE (1931) and Paramount brought a couple of W.C. Fields silents out on VHS.
Charles Hoyt

#7 of 10 Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 22 2007 - 06:23 PM

Her Majesty, Love has been shown on TCM, it would have to be in some WB set.
Unfortunately Paramount still owns the surviving Paramount silents - that's a lost cause.

#8 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 23 2007 - 01:41 AM

Now that Paramount and Criterion have a licensing deal, it's not such a far-fetched idea. One of Criterion's first dvds was a collection of Fields' shorts and they also released THE BANK DICK via Universal. With the anniversary of Vitaphone coming up, HER MAJESTY LOVE might be a possibility. WB did release Marilyn Miller's SUNNY in their "Dawn of Sound" ld.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 10 Rod J

Rod J

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted March 23 2007 - 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
Now that Paramount and Criterion have a licensing deal, it's not such a far-fetched idea. One of Criterion's first dvds was a collection of Fields' shorts and they also released THE BANK DICK via Universal. With the anniversary of Vitaphone coming up, HER MAJESTY LOVE might be a possibility. WB did release Marilyn Miller's SUNNY in their "Dawn of Sound" ld.

Criterion releasing the Paramount silents would be great.

I don't hold out much hope for anything from Warner - George Feltenstein at MGM/UA released the "Dawn of Sound" packages along with two sets of "Vitaphone Shorts" - I'm afraid Warner will spend decades looking for "better elements" - if they can't release "Show Boat", I don't hold out much hope for this.

#10 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 24 2007 - 02:35 AM

There is a different judgment call with respect to "Dawn of Sound" elements and SHOW BOAT elements. SHOW BOAT is a classic and it is part of a classic trilogy. "The Dawn of Sound" titles are historical atifacts. I'd love to see all those ld titles and shorts ported over to dvd--whatever their condition. GOLDEN DAWN is a must, but pc will require that it be placed in a historical context. I was very disappointed that "Forbidden Hollywood: Volume I" had no sense of censorship context, particularly why BABY FACE was offered in two different versions. I recall that BABY FACE was the reason why Daryl Zanuck left WB for Fox.
Charles Hoyt

Forum Nav Content I Follow