Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

7.1 Placement Question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 06:55 AM

I'm about to add the rear surround speakers to my set up and have a placement question. I went to the dolby site and used their recomendations for the angles at which to place speakers but still have a question about the rears. My room is long enough that when I follow their recomendations, the rear surrounds are still on the side walls. Should I stick to the angle recomendation or place them on the back wall with a certain amount of distance between them?

Thanks!

Brad

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Ike_Haynes

Ike_Haynes

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 03:42 PM

I would just place them on the back wall with what ever distance you feel is good enough. Or if you want try both positions out for like a couple days and see which one you like better.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   SHS

SHS

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 11:22 PM

I am no where near an expert here but I think you have to experiment as well. It has quite a bit to do with the type of speaker you use and its pattern of sound as well as the room accoustics. Different types of speakers will sound different in the same place and cover the room differently in sound.

I prefer to try and place my speakers so that it is difficult to point to one and say "the sound is coming from there".....that is unless the track is weighted to that speaker. This is exaclty why I am moving to 7.1 as well.
.....this is truly an illness

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Brad Russell

Brad Russell

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted March 23 2007 - 07:16 AM

Thanks!

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   bassman99floyd

bassman99floyd

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 23 2007 - 07:19 AM

I agree with all above. Put the rear rear speakers on the back wall, and try to give it some distance from your rear speakers. You want seperation in sound, so you don't want your speakers to close together.

Good Luck,

Jimmy
The Man