What's new

XBOX 360 HDMI 120GB hard drive! (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Wow, looks like I sold my box at the right time. Next month supposedly will see a new XBOX in black with HDMI, a new digital scaler, and a 120gb hard drive. Pretty interesting. Looks like they are trying to kill the PS3.

I think it is going to cost a bit more than the 'premium" box but not much.

The unit will still contain a standard DVD drive.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
They aren't trying as hard as Sony to kill the PS3.

Anyway, was the part about HDMI ever confirmed? I've only seen that as a rumor with no substantiating evidence to support it.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I read it as being confirmed, but I still wouldn't call it official. It said late summer/early fall though, not next month. It would be released as a limited edition in black, and when sold out replace the premium package (in white). Sounds reasonable enough to believe. It also mentioned running quieter/cooler. XBOX 360 SP1 was essentially how it sounded.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I know there will be a new machine, I know it will have a bigger harddrive, I know the HD DVD drive will NOT be internal. The only question was whether or not it had HDMI, because I have not heard anything "confirmed" on that point.

CRyan

Screenwriter
When the new machine comes out, it will have HDMI - I would bet quite a bit of cash on it. The machine has been online showing the specs of the new scaler (HANA) with pics of it installed. MS - as far as I have read will not confirm anything.

Current machines cannot simply have an HDMI dongle added as it will only output analog with its current scaler.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
All the sources that say the new machine will be black, have the larger HD, etc. say it will have HDMI. There's really no reason to believe one and not the other.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
The "machine" that had the "HDMI" was white in color and was largely discounted as an in-house test unit. I know of anonymous confirmations of all the elements in the new unit EXCEPT the HDMI. The "source" said that Microsoft was still not convinced it will make enough of a difference to add the cost to the machine. Again, I'm not doubting anybody I'm just looking for some place to read where that confirmation came from. And Again, I'm looking for anything where the HANA/HDMI part of this new unit was confirmed. I know the rest is golden, so......

CRyan

Screenwriter
Do you have a link to where the new Xbox has been confirmed by MS? I would not mind reading it.

And no, I do not have a link that cofirms HANA.

HMDI is the only real thing the PS3 has over the Box, so I will be very dissapointed in MS if they are not smart enough to include it.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Sorry Jeremy I mixed up some posts there with CRyans. As far as a link from MS, like I said earlier its been "confirmed" but I still wouldn't call it official. Microsoft has not released any official word yet AFAIK.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
The new Xbox "1337" has been officially confirmed by Microsoft and is not, apparently, just some April Fool's prank by a couple of publications. In addition, there will be an upgrade to the "regular" 360 available in the form of a new 120Gig HD which you can retrofit to your original 360 in place of the current 20G HD. They will also include a migration cable so that you can transfer all your saved games, etc. from the old drive to the new one. I'm particularly interested in how this will be accomplished since there has always been a question of using an external USB HD reliably with the 360 (I could never get one to work and I've tried quite a few.) My guess is that MS will be using some proprietary jacks and cable to keep you from only transferring content (game saves, etc.) that they deem reasonable. With the newer video on demand content that they "rent" you with an expiration date built into it I'm not sure how they would handle such material if it could be readily transferred to other storage. So I assume that the new drives won't be USB in the traditional sense or else people wouldn't be spending $179 for a 120G drive when you can buy a 500G Western Digital "My Book" or similar for about the same price point.

One other question I have regards my XBox Live Gold Account. I fully intend to get the new model and keep the "old" 360 for use elsewhere in my home. Can I access my XBox Live Gold account from both boxes or is it tied to just one box? Does anyone have any idea how this will be handled?

And as to why I would upgrade to a new 1337 instead of simply buying the 120Gig drive for the old box? A lot of the gaming review sites have greatly downplayed the significance of the HDMI connection but that, to me, is the deal maker in this whole scenario.

Assuming that the implementation is correct I fully expect HDMI to deliver audio and video to my A/V equipment just as the PS3 currently does - a one wire solution with full 1080p and advanced decoded HD audio codecs. Comments like, "why would anyone spend $479 just for an HDMI connection which isn't that significant" are common among gamers who are not also HT aficionados but they certainly don't apply in my case. I will admit that if a person is simply a gamer and not involved with Home Theater that I can fully understand and appreciate their position in this matter. But as a firm believer (and user) of HD media for both its visual and aural superiority, the one chink in the armor of the original 360 was the lack of HDMI and/or analog 5.1 outputs which effectively made it impossible to listen to uncompressed or lossless audio. I was about to spend over $500 for a newer generation Toshiba HD player anyway (my first generation XA1 is a dog as far as sluggishness is concerned, etc.) so getting a $479 XBox 1337 makes a lot of sense to me (I already own the HD-DVD attachment for the XBox). As a sidenote, I find it a bit ironic that I'm able to justify the cost of both the PS3 and the XBox 1337 based on their ability to perform well with HD content (audio and video) even without taking the game play into consideration. Pure gamers probably think that I'm crazy.

A lot of unanswered questions, but since MS is obviously going right after the PS3 head on I'm betting that the HDMI implementation for picture and sound will at least match the PS3. That just makes sense to me. And it also makes sense to keep the HD-DVD player separate for two significant reasons:
  • It's a lot more convenient to be able to have a movie and a game loaded in my 360 than one or the other with my PS3
  • With an external drive MS is keeping its options open no matter what way the format war winds blow
Just a few comments from a veteran "bleeding edger."

;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yep HDMI is huge, huge, huge. Enough to finally get me to seriously consider purchasing this as the companion piece to my PS3.

The only problem I have is that apparently [from the little I've read] the internals haven't changed all that much, meaning same CPU, board, etc. And with the earlier problems of overheating, I was really hoping with the 1337 that they'd address those problems by using cores that run cooler & more efficient than the original 360.

Couple this with the rumored price drop for the HD-DVD add-on, and I just might be fully HD/360 capable by the end of summer! :D

CRyan

Screenwriter
I am SO glad I sold my Xbox for what I got. Very lucky indeed.

And YES, HDMI is a huge point in all this. 'Tis funny MS deemed it non needed early on - now adopting it.

Of course it has to do with the PS3. Smart move imo.

That hard drive price though it a bit steep. $179 for the upgrade!

Joe_G

Second Unit

May I ask what you sold your 360 for, just out of curiosity? I would like to get the ELITE because of the HDMI and it's black(:P), but I don't know if it's worth the hassel of me trying to sell my premium 360 setup. That and the fact it's almost $100 more than the premium system.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, personally, it is not worth it if you have no need for HDMI - It is TOTALLY worth it if you do. My opinion of course.

I sold the Box with an extra controller and three old games for $470 including shipping. I sold GOW and COD3 separately for $75 total including shipping.

So I made over $500 to get the PS3 I bought.

Although, I would imagine ebay is about to get flooded with them. So better act quick if it has not already.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
What is the point of an HDMI connection if the machine doesn't have a built in HD DVD player? $500 US for a machine that still requires you to buy an add-on HD DVD player and, from what I can tell from the press release, still no built-in wireless. This machine, to add up to the PS3's capabilities, would cost just as much as the PS3, and it still doesn't look like it allows the HD player to be used for 1080p hi-def game content.

I would say it was a good deal if the MSRP was closer to the XBOX360 premium price. But a hundred bucks more for a color change, one connector, and a bigger hard drive? Yikes!

Also wouldn't the machine have to have two HDMI connectors if the HD player is a separate unit? One to plug in the HD DVD and the other to pass the signal through to the display?

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

My thoughts exactly. Well stated. If you don't need HDMI, Microsoft is still offering an upgrade path to a larger HD for those who want to stay with their current box.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I, for one, like the idea of having an external drive for HD content. For one thing it doesn't lock the machine into one format if another format wins the HD race (there has already been some talk of MS offering a BR player if HD-DVD doesn't make it.) For another, I prefer being able to keep a game loaded in my XBox 360 while having an HD-DVD movie also loaded at the same time. Taking God of War II out to watch a BR movie gets old real fast to me.

And as to the need for two HDMI connections, I don't believe that this is the case. As I recall, the HD DVD player still relies on the processing power of the 360 to "become" a full fledged player and is connected to the main box via a digital USB port. This connection sends all the audio and video information directly into the 360 for further processing before going out to your other equipment. The only HDMI connection needed would be from your XBOX Elite to your receiver. I'm just hoping that, like the PS3, the new Xbox (1337) will do all the audio decoding in the box so that decoded streams will be sent through the HDMI to receivers. If that's the case then HDMI 1.1 will work fine at the receiver end of things since the decoding takes place in the player (and in this case the Xbox).

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I use component switching Denon a/v receiver. so I don't have a need for HDMI (my HDTV's dont even have HDMI inputs). Ive been contemplating upgrading my living room tv, but probably wont for a while. I don't think the 360 HDMI will give me more options than Component does today (unless there will be HDCP compliance issues w/ the upcoming IPTV functionality).

As far as being black, a can of decent spray paint and some careful effort can fix that.

As far as the 120 gig drive goes, I'm sure Microsoft will push through some firmware update allowing 360's to view a 120gig drive. So I could also go the USB route and buy a cheaper drive. I don't rip music to the drive at all because I use my 360 as a MCE from my computer to deliver my music to my HT. I really don't see myself spending money on the live Marketplace for HD movies either.

That being said, I still want the Elite, but I wont pay more unless I get more than that, however, my thinking is that I can pick up a Core 360 pretty cheap in the next few months to use as a MCE in my bedroom. If this is the case, Id like to thank Microsoft for getting their current customers to repurchase an updated system and sell off their "lower-end" systems (because trade-in's aren't worth it).

However, I came across this rumor from Digg.com

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

The one thing that HDMI will definitely add to the mix (and which the current XBOX360 can't offer because of the lack of either HDMI or 5.1 analog audio outputs) is the ability to play HD audio codecs which include uncompressed and lossless audio. That alone makes it worth it for me. Component can produce 1080p video output with the current software, but, of course, component doesn't transmit audio and Toslink audio output doesn't transmit HD audio.

On the matter of adding a 120G Hard drive to the current XBOX 360 (for those who don't care about HDMI or the color of the console) Microsoft has announced a 120G upgrade that will replace the current 20G Hard drive (or add a Hard drive to a core system). They will even include a cable that will allow you to transfer the content from your current hard drive (if present). I'm especially interested in how this will be accomplished because I've had a lot of trouble in the past trying to transfer content to an external USB HD on the 360. Most stuff won't transfer so I'm currently limited by the 20G limitation of the original 360 HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks