Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI vs. component cable

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 of 24 gojays_1

gojays_1

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted March 26 2007 - 05:34 AM

Thanks for quick replies. Our basement still has about 2 weeks to go, so I won't be able to use it for a while. It's taking a lot longer than we thought!Posted Image

As for Chris and Gene's replies, I think you guys are right. I think the orange connector on the top labelled SPDIF is the digital coax. I don't know why it's marked that way?!

I did a quick google search for 'SPDIF' and digital coax and I did not see anything definitive. But it appears to be the same.

Once I hook it all up, I'll make sure it works and if I have questions I'll post again!

Thanks all!

#22 of 24 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted March 26 2007 - 06:37 AM

digital coax is SPDIF, as is toslink.

#23 of 24 Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted March 26 2007 - 02:48 PM

SPDIF = Sony Phillips Digital Interface Format. This is 'coaxial digital'. All DVD players have this as an output. Just make sure to use a video cables (one with yellow markings) to hook this up.

(Yes, it's confusing. But when they wrote the SPDIF spec, they wanted you to go out and buy a common-as-dirt cable so it is designed to use a "75 ohm impedance cable" - a video cable).

Congrats on the new son. Posted Image

#24 of 24 Bud Huey

Bud Huey

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted March 29 2007 - 03:00 PM

Cable companies will not guarantee an HDMI connection on their set top boxes for a couple of reasons. 1) Some HD set top boxes only have component outputs, 2) Some HD set top boxes have a DVI output, 3) Set top boxes with an HDMI output are not always compatible with other HDMI components because of interoperatability issues within the HDMI chipsets. 4) HDMI cables are limited in the length they can transmit. I believe 12' is the longest cable that are "qualified" to the HDMI standards, although I am using a 25' cable in my set up and it seems to work fine. I am only viewing 1080i, so 1080p may be a different story.

The bottom line is the cable company does not want two things: 1) Customers returning their set top box because it does not have an HDMI output or the HDMI output is not compatible with their set up, 2) To send a technician to your house to troubleshoot a problem with an HDMI set up. Both of these things cost the cable company money.

HDMI cables are convenient since they transmit audio and video signals, but components video cables will work fine for 98.7% of people. Did you also know that 72.5% of statistics are made up on the spot?

Just My $0.02,
Bud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users