Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pet Food Recall

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 09:10 AM

This one is really serious. I have already had 1 cat die at my clinic, and several more pets are sick. If you are feeding any canned or "meat in a pouch" type food to your dog or cat, please check the recall list ASAP.

http://www.menufoods...call/index.html

#2 of 52 Bob Graz

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 10:14 AM

The magnitude of this is unbelievable. Our dog is on Science Diet K/D canned food so we are ok. He had kidney issues, still does, but in switching to the K/D diet, everything has gotten better and stabilized.

#3 of 52 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 12:57 PM

I was mightily relieved when I didn't find Friskies on the list.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 52 Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 01:01 PM

Do they know what it is that's causing the problems?

#5 of 52 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,613 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 19 2007 - 01:06 PM

My kitties don't eat that stuff. So this household is safe for the time being.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#6 of 52 Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 04:55 PM

I'm so releived that I only feed dry food to my cat and dog.

thanks for posting this, I just got off the phone to all the pet owners I know to warn them.

Apparently none of the dry foods are affected?
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#7 of 52 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 20 2007 - 12:02 AM

This thing scared me to death. I have 3 dogs. One is sick with a throat infection. That one and another have been coughing and vomiting lately. But I've only been buying Kibbles N bits canned (not on the list) as a snack for them. They don't show any of the other symptoms of a kidney problem. My 15/16 year old dog Bear has been incontinent but lately even she's been keeping a dry diaper. Go figure. I'm still worried because of their coughing and vomiting. I'd fed them Ol Roy dry for a few months, but took back the latest bag and traded it for Pedigree (not on the list) over the weekend.

I stopped buying Ol Roy canned (on the list) in Nov 06 when I accidentally fed mine some that had gone bad. Stupid me, I didn't even smell it. But I'll never buy Ol Roy again. Walmart had even given me trouble about returning it because it was a 12 pack. So beware!

Anyway, good luck to everyone. I've already heard from 2 others online who have had problems, one death of a dog and a cat who now has kidney problems. Also, one of my nephews hunting beagles died because of this. They're saying 10 animals have died. I think that total is grossly incorrect.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 52 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai
Do they know what it is that's causing the problems?
Wheat gluten, used for a source of protein, is the suspected culprit. But the CEO of Menu Foods says they still aren't sure what happened.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#9 of 52 Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 12:19 AM

The cause of the poisoning either hasn't been discovered or released, yet. Posted Image

I have my suspicions, based on the symptomology of acute renal failure, but I will not post them.

#10 of 52 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 02:35 AM

I have absolutely nothing to back this up, might just be an internet rumor I came across, but somewhere I read that the wheat used in the food had gotten wet and moldy, yet was still used for the pet food.
Stan

#11 of 52 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,546 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 03:25 AM

What's also remarkable: all those brands, all different named, one even named "Science Diet something", all try to suggest being a special, balanced, and thus separate type of food with specific proprietary content.

Now it looks more like they all to come from one factory (also screwing *something* up), all having the same problem.
Science Diet, eh?

Cees

#12 of 52 Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel

Second Unit

• 471 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 03:41 AM

It was reported in the press release from Menu Foods that ... while they have not confirmed the exact cause, there is a correlation between symptomatic animals and food production coincident with the introduction of a "new ingredient source". The translation is that back around Dec-06, they started getting one of their key ingredients from a new supplier (probably cheaper). Food produced before the switch has not made any dogs sick.

Thank goodness our baby is on Eukanuba dry + cottage cheese

#13 of 52 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted March 20 2007 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Now it looks more like they all to come from one factory (also screwing *something* up), all having the same problem.
Science Diet, eh?
My dad told me years ago that the cheapie stuff has the same ingredients as the expensive stuff.

But that's what I was thinking, all these pets are sick and/or dying so those companies could save a buck.

#14 of 52 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 04:35 AM

Quote:
What's also remarkable: all those brands, all different named, one even named "Science Diet something", all try to suggest being a special, balanced, and thus separate type of food with specific proprietary content.
Nothing really remarkable about it at all. The majority of store brands come from a few manufacturers/distibutors. I designed labels for a major vitamin company for years, the exact same product being sold at every major chain store, just different packaging and different pricing. Check the labels, they should say "Manufactered/distributed for (insert store/company) by xxx". A savvy shopper would simply look at the product codes and be able to know which product they were buying from Costco, Walmart, Safeway, Overwaitea, IGA, etc...

#15 of 52 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,613 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 21 2007 - 06:18 AM

Acute renal failure sounds like automotive antifreeze poisoning....

Isn't wheat gluten a normal part of things like bread? Except in cases of acute allergic reactions, how would this poison mammals?

#16 of 52 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,643 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 06:53 AM

^ ^ ^

Great question.

Luckily i feed mine Kibbles N Bits canned, but it's made my Del Monte. Del Monte! Posted Image A scary "what if" perhaps?

#17 of 52 Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage

Second Unit

• 387 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 07:08 AM

I just spent $1400 last week on my dog because of a liver infection (visible jaundice in the eyes, ears, and gums and blood test indicators). I am not sure if this is related or not. I did give her a "treat" of 1/4 of the Iams pouch food before this happened. I know that they are saying it causes kidney problems but the timing is very close.

I my case they had to give my dog antibiotics and IV fluids and Vitamin B. It lasted a couple of days but she snapped out of it.

Laters,
Jeff
...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

#18 of 52 Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,613 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted March 21 2007 - 07:22 AM

If it's from mold or fungus growing on the wheat....

I remember that a fungus called ergot caused mass outbreaks of insanity during the middle ages. LSD was later discovered by researchers investigating ergot.

EDIT Googling "ergot renal failure" gives over 80K of links.

#19 of 52 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls
LSD was later discovered by researchers investigating ergot.

LSD... Now I finally know how it was discovered! I was always confused how someone figured it would be a good idea to get high off of mold waste (seriously, LSD is the waste liquid that mold gives off).

Well, now that I found out where it came from, who started getting high from it?
"Bobby is and idiot"

#20 of 52 Robbie R

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator

• 163 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg2
LSD... Now I finally know how it was discovered! I was always confused how someone figured it would be a good idea to get high off of mold waste (seriously, LSD is the waste liquid that mold gives off).

Well, now that I found out where it came from, who started getting high from it?

Albert Hofmann was the first person to get high on LSD. He is commonly called "The Father of LSD" He is a Swiss Chemist who stumbled on LSD by accident (He accidently ingested some through his finger and got high) The next day he repeated the "accident" and the rest is history. Google him , its a great story. He is still alive and kicking at 100 years old.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow