Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Universal up's the ante with new interactive features

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted March 18 2007 - 09:19 AM

Looks like Universal is raising the bar with interactivity with the release of Children of Men and Smokin' Aces. It will be interesting if the features add value to the releases that viewers will actually take advantage of.

Quote:
Smokin’ Aces integrates Google Earth to identify specific locations of assassins during the film.
On Children of Men, viewers get a chance to see the film’s featured video billboard advertisements in their entirety. Viewers only see clips during the film, but on the HD DVD, they can click on each of the approximately 10 billboards and watch the complete ads. Although neither title uses Web connectivity, Collins said three HD DVD titles with such connectivity will street this year.
Universal Ineractivity Story

Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,240 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 18 2007 - 12:33 PM

cant wait Posted Image
facebook.com/whotony

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,319 posts

Posted March 18 2007 - 02:57 PM

though sounds really cool, I am worried that we are moving closer to the dangerous "just connect your player to the internet for these cool features..."

And it's not just a "big brother" concern. It's also about having all the content on the disc so we don't have to worry about how long will the studio keep the content online and what if I am not at home or have no connection, I want to access that content anyway if I paid for it. And make no mistake, when you buy the HD-DVD you are paying for it.
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,681 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 03:39 AM

Does look rather cool indeed! Posted Image

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 04:57 AM

Count me not excited. The more features that Uni has added to their discs, the worse they've played back for me. I've had 4 copies of Holywoodland and none of them will play correctly on my A2. I figur if Uni adds one more feature that my players will just melt down and sink to the earth's core. I'm not hooking up a player to the net anytime soon in any case.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted March 21 2007 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael B
Count me not excited. The more features that Uni has added to their discs, the worse they've played back for me. I've had 4 copies of Holywoodland and none of them will play correctly on my A2. I figur if Uni adds one more feature that my players will just melt down and sink to the earth's core. I'm not hooking up a player to the net anytime soon in any case.

Same here. Titles will sell the formats, not internet-enabled features.

Think about how many times you've cared to use DVD-ROM features. Same thing IMO.

Just give us more big titles, and faster.

Still, can't wait to get my hands on Children of Men. If it has playback problems because of this junk someone will hang.... Posted Image
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

Forum Nav Content I Follow