Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Wow, Amazon.com is awesome!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#1 of 38 OFFLINE   SQMonte

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 12:39 PM

I have placed 3 orders with them so far and I have yet to pay a shipping charge. Not only that, but they are very prompt with the delivery. At christmas time I ordered a stereo for my kids and got it in two days. I rcvd notice yesterday that they had just shipped out another order and it arrived today.

My TV also shipped out yesterday and they have it slated for delivery 3.23.07, I can't wait to see how soon it arrives.
T.V. - Vizio VF551XVT                             Cable - Comcast/Motorola DCX3400
A/V Receiver - Sony STR-DN1000            BluRay - Vizio VBR110
Speakers - Main - Insignia NS-B2111     Center Ch. - Onkyo SKC-540C
Sub - Sony SA-W3000

#2 of 38 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 02:36 PM

There are a lot of threads about how happy people are with the quickness of Amazon. I always use the free delivery and get my packages much sooner than expected. Definitely Posted Image

#3 of 38 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 03:56 PM

Quickness? I like Amazon but the last thing I would credit them with is quickness. Nearly everything I've ordered, despite a claim that it would be shipped within 24 hours, always takes several days just to get out the door. Amazon Uk, on the other hand, has always been super quick for me. Heck, my orders from the UK typically take less shipping time than my orders from Amazon USA.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#4 of 38 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 05:11 PM

i've never had anything but success with amazon, i'll order there unless i can find a product substantially cheaper elsewhere. nice to see a company get it right most of the time.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#5 of 38 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 05:28 PM

I used to use Amazon extensively back in 2002-2003 but I've been using DVDPacific.com lately. Far better prices for DVD's in my opinion for Region 1. And I have other sources.
I remember the UPS lady coming by the house almost frequently because my huge splurge on DVD's from Amazon. Those were the days.

#6 of 38 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan halvorson
Quickness? I like Amazon but the last thing I would credit them with is quickness. Nearly everything I've ordered, despite a claim that it would be shipped within 24 hours, always takes several days just to get out the door. Amazon Uk, on the other hand, has always been super quick for me. Heck, my orders from the UK typically take less shipping time than my orders from Amazon USA.
Odd you should say that, I placed on order on the 14th, most of it shipped the next day, the 15th; Hawaii Five-O is on back order -- which is ironic since the main thing I really wanted in this batch was, well, Hawaii Five-O.

#7 of 38 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,885 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 15 2007 - 11:51 PM

I've never been disappointed in anything ordered directly from amazon.com. I'll choose them over saving a few dollars elsewhere.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#8 of 38 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 16 2007 - 12:18 AM

Amazon is my online store of choice, too. I've heard a few people complain about slow shipments, as Alan did above. However, I've never experienced that problem, and I always choose the free shipping option. If my order is less than $25, I will look for another pre-order that's a later date to bundle together to get over $25 for the free shipping option.

#9 of 38 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 01:31 AM

Any service is going to experience unsatisfied customers**. The fact that Amazon is so huge, means you might run into quite a few, but I still think those are the minority and should be reflective of the overall expereinces. Most people seem to agree that Amazons service is quite amazing.

#10 of 38 OFFLINE   Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted March 16 2007 - 01:38 AM

Amazon's shipping record with my stuff is awesome. I even had an item delivered on Christmas day a few years ago, believe it or not. Posted Image I also like that they've diversified way beyond books, music and movies. In fact, I probably buy as much non-media stuff there now as I do movies, music and such. Not having to pay sales tax on my purchases is great as well. That's not a luxury I enjoy with Deep Discount DVD, which would be my other main DVD provider.

#11 of 38 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,198 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 02:45 AM

I've had good luck with purchases on Amazon that are actually fullfilled by Amazon.

I haven't been as lucky with items purchased from their site were they are routing it through a 2nd party. Usually the problem is late shipping; but I've also had a few cases wher they got back to me and said the product they thought they had was not in stock.

#12 of 38 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:09 AM

Well Amazon is definitely faster than Deep Discount DVD these days, there was a time when DDD was the fastest store out there & my #1 online DVD store, but I guess as they have gotten more popular over the years their speed has suffered, and I live in ILL where they are located!

Amazon is fast no doubt, I have no complaints about their service at all.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#13 of 38 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M
Well Amazon is definitely faster than Deep Discount DVD these days, there was a time when DDD was the fastest store out there & my #1 online DVD store, but I guess as they have gotten more popular over the years their speed has suffered, and I live in ILL where they are located!

Amazon is fast no doubt, I have no complaints about their service at all.

I have had the same experiences with Deep Discount, living in Illinois, also. Both companies are very reliable, and have always come through.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#14 of 38 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:40 AM

I've actually pre-ordered stuff with Free Shipping (i.e. 5+ days) and have actually gotten the items on the same day as their street date! Pretty cool!

#15 of 38 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,885 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 04:50 AM

I know we're talking about speed of shipping, but this amazon love-in deserves some mention of how they stand behind their marketplace section. Years ago I ordered something for about $70 and the marketplace seller was a crook. Amazon refunded all of my money. In comparison, I've been cheated 3 times on ebay and got zip. Once, ebay cancelled a listing after I'd already hit BUY NOW and paypal'd my money. So amazon deserves kudos for that too.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#16 of 38 OFFLINE   MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 05:09 AM

I had the same thing happen with the marketplace. I ordered a CD, the company charged my card, but I never recieved the CD. After sending several emails to the company, I contacted Amazon and they gave me my money back. Hoepfully they gave that 3rd party HELL! Posted Image

#17 of 38 OFFLINE   Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood

Producer

• 3,215 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 06:58 AM

I've bought lots of stuff from amazon, & the free shipping has always been fast & stuff always arrives earlier than they predict (which I think is intentional). Just ordered Photoshop Monday, got it today... can't complain considering it was free shipping. I could've paid for overnight & had it Tuesday, but I'm not as impatient as some. When I ordered, they projected the delivery date as at least a week from today.

#18 of 38 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 16 2007 - 07:49 AM

Quote:
Over the past couple of years, my delivery experiences with DDD have been very inconsistent. Sometimes, I'll receive an order a couple of days after receiving the shipping notice, while other times it can take up to three weeks. With Amazon, delivery time is always very consistent once I get a shipping notice.

Quote:
I know we're talking about speed of shipping, but this amazon love-in deserves some mention of how they stand behind their marketplace section. Years ago I ordered something for about $70 and the marketplace seller was a crook. Amazon refunded all of my money. In comparison, I've been cheated 3 times on ebay and got zip. Once, ebay cancelled a listing after I'd already hit BUY NOW and paypal'd my money. So amazon deserves kudos for that too.

This is very useful information, James. I've never ordered from an individual seller via Amazon, but I may consider it now. I've always avoided Ebay because of all the problems I've read about there.

#19 of 38 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 08:02 AM

i've always had great success with buying from amazon sellers. probably bought 30-40 books and CDs, no major problems. i'd never buy a book or CD from someone on eBay, unless it was my only choice. i've also had great success selling stuff on amazon, about 100 books and CDs over the past 5 years or so.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#20 of 38 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,885 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
This is very useful information, James. I've never ordered from an individual seller via Amazon, but I may consider it now. I've always avoided Ebay because of all the problems I've read about there.
They have that very tasty a-to-z guarantee. I was very impressed with how the whole thing was handled. That one seller cheated a whole bunch of people. I was buying the Alien Quad set. Wanted that one very much. Hopefully that installed a face hugger on that crook.

I think the most I saved in the marketplace was for an item listed on Amazon for about $36. I paid $6 shipped from this seller. Saved $30. Very sweat deal and I got it in less than a week. I felt guilty. It was this old kid's show I used to watch called New Zoo Revue. It was wrapped in original packaging and was brand new.

I listed a few things, including oneset of 4-VHS tapes of Monty Python shows. They sold for a high price almost immediately.

Back to Retail and Wholesale Vendors Feedback

Forum Nav Content I Follow