Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVD Profiler 3.0 is out

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 of 150 Gunnar Syren

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 06:49 AM

Kan Cole has taken DVD Profiler to his new company, Invelos Software, and 3.0 has just been released. Doesn't seem to be quite stable yet, but it's certainly worth a look. http://www.invelos.com/

Version 2.4 (and 2.5 Beta) is still supported at Intervocative.

#2 of 150 Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 07:35 AM

I'm still sticking with DVDSpot.com, thank you very muchly much.

#3 of 150 Neal K

Neal K

Agent

• 38 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 07:44 AM

Am I missing something, or is this now ONLY a paying proposition? It says free "download", but then seems to want $30.

#4 of 150 Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 08:14 AM

Per their site: If you have a Premium registration key for DVD Profiler 2 or earlier, you can update to a 3.0 key for free

Cool!!! Posted Image
I've got my own Toto

#5 of 150 MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts

Posted March 15 2007 - 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal K
Am I missing something, or is this now ONLY a paying proposition? It says free "download", but then seems to want $30.

It's still free. I've read reports from others who have the free version, so I know it exists. What's changed for the free version is that after your collection jumps above 50 DVDs, a lot of features are disabled. But even at $10 a movie, 50 DVDs works out to $500. Surely people who can spend $500 on movies (on the low end) can find $30 in their budget to support them. If not, there are other options available that are free.

At this point 3.0 is full of bugs. But version 3.0.1 is expect in the next week or so.

#6 of 150 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted March 15 2007 - 12:59 PM

I have a kid and I miss alot.

Whoa.

#7 of 150 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,653 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 15 2007 - 04:31 PM

Downloaded. Installed.

Got my free key from being a premium customer.

Imported my most recent backup file....

This looks AWESOME!

Thanks for posting Gunnar! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 150 Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 12:32 AM

It's a while since I switch from DVD Profiler to Collectorz.com Movie Collector. I love it because it's more flexible and the ability to select and edit several titles at a time is like being in heaven! Posted Image

#9 of 150 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,581 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 16 2007 - 02:23 AM

I'm gonna have to see if my computer has enough brain space to support this. Something to play with over the weekend for sure.

#10 of 150 Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 02:55 AM

I installed it on Vista & so far so good. It has lots of udated features I'll have to figure out. It looks good though Posted Image
I've got my own Toto

#11 of 150 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
Downloaded. Installed.

Got my free key from being a premium customer.

Imported my most recent backup file....

This looks AWESOME!

Thanks for posting Gunnar! Posted Image

Did the new version install over your old version, or can you run them both on the same PC?

It looks like I have something to play with this weekend.

#12 of 150 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:38 AM

I was just about to switch from using DVDProfiler because of the apparent lack up grades/future support. I'll give this version a try this weekend. Thanks!
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#13 of 150 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,374 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Did the new version install over your old version, or can you run them both on the same PC?
You can run them both simultaneously. Installing 3.0 over 2.4/5 doesn't even work as far as I'm aware.

You should keep your old database in working order anyway, at least for the time being, as there are quite a few kinks to be worked out.

#14 of 150 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,519 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 03:41 AM

Quote:

It looks like I have something to play with this weekend.

Just noticed this in their FAQ...

Q:How do I upgrade from DVD Profiler 2.5 (or earlier)?
- First, create a backup file from your current DVD Profiler installation by selecting File->Backup Profile Database from DVD Profiler's main menu
- Then, download and install DVD Profiler 3.0 and restore the backup file you created. That's it! Your collection will be fully copied into the "Default" database in DVD Profiler.
*You must use the backup/restore feature to copy your database. Upgrading by installing over 2.5 (or earlier) is not possible.*
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#15 of 150 widescreenforever

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHarrison
It's still free. I've read reports from others who have the free version, so I know it exists. What's changed for the free version is that after your collection jumps above 50 DVDs, a lot of features are disabled. But even at $10 a movie, 50 DVDs works out to $500. Surely people who can spend $500 on movies (on the low end) can find $30 in their budget to support them. .

Exactly..!!,, Hold off on buying the next DVD,, and the membership and rewards of this program is worth ALL your DVD's put together. ( can you imagine if you Lost all your discs from your home over night?). Here you can look at them all day as you tweak and set the library just the way you want it. And the high quality DVD cover image is the best part of OWNING this software package. Out of all the money I have spent for annual virus programs etc., or windows operating system to Bill Gates is up to ten times more than the DVD Profiler software a lot of us have purchased years ago,, and still using today with their new site and new updated package.

#16 of 150 widescreenforever

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
Just noticed this in their FAQ...

- First, create a backup file from your current DVD Profiler installation by selecting File->Backup Profile Database from DVD Profiler's main menu
- Then, download and install DVD Profiler 3.0 and restore the backup file you created. That's it! Your collection will be fully copied into the "Default" database in DVD Profiler.
*You must use the backup/restore feature to copy your database. Upgrading by installing over 2.5 (or earlier) is not possible.*

You can too, after installing 3.0 remove 2.5 from your control panel and explorer.. ( but do so at your own risk after you have backed up all the export data to another folder).

#17 of 150 Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Preischl
You should keep your old database in working order anyway, at least for the time being, as there are quite a few kinks to be worked out.

I downloaded but hesitate to install; what were some of the problems?

On second thought, since they can be installed side-by-side, I'll take the plunge. Procrastinated a long time before buying the license but have never regretted doing so. Posted Image

#18 of 150 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,338 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 16 2007 - 10:56 AM

Quote:

I do most of my own cover art scans. Do I need to backup/restore the cover art as part of this procedure, too? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but you know what happens when you assume... Posted Image

#19 of 150 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,248 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 12:23 PM

I am sticking with this program.. It isn't free but it is fully customizable..

http://www.collectorz.com/movie/

I stopped using dvdprofiler along time ago

R~
My DVD Collection

#20 of 150 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,653 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 16 2007 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
I do most of my own cover art scans. Do I need to backup/restore the cover art as part of this procedure, too? I'm assuming the answer is yes, but you know what happens when you assume... Posted Image

Scott: If you have somehow managed to import your own scanned cover-art into DVD Profiler (something I've never done), then I suppose a complete back-up of your database should have you covered.

Of course, I would make sure I had everything backed up anyway....just in case.

As has been said, once 3.0 is installed, you need to enter your collection by importing a back-up of your collection as it sits in 2.5. So, there's probably no way around it. Without the backup/restore, you got nuttin'! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

Back to DVD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow