What's new

What happened to Mr. & Mrs. Smith? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
as someone said on avs...

"If you do want to blame someone then blame the hax0r hackers. It seems very likely that Fox is delaying all of these movies so they can add better copy protection to them. Maybe BD+. Fox is one of the most paranoid studios about protecting their content. Along with Disney."

i agree

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Frankly, I think that would give "the" hackers too much credit and blame them for someone elses failures - as almost always.

Fox just couldn't make it, the announcements were too ambitious (if true at all). This is the normal pattern when BD is concerned.

Problem is: Universal had to take a lot of heat when they didn't publish release dates they couldn't be certain of yet, so Fox decided to "help" BD by naming expected dates they couldn't be sure of either.
(Note the number of people who mainly based their temporary judgement of the two formats on these announcements, without having seen the actual discs, of course!)

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that Fox has been missing more release dates than any other studio. This is just another example of it. With their high pricing structure and constantly missing street dates, Fox is really pissing me off.

Crawdaddy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In addition, let's not forget that Fox has been releasing many sub-par transfers, as well.

Yes, all the way around, Fox has been a BIG disappointment.

Phil Garcia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Phil Garcia

Indeed. High prices, delays, lack of bonus content...then again, they have great titles in their library (that Im interested in anyways), support for DTS-MA and even smaller formats like D-Box...

Still, Fox has a long ways to go before being as good as Lionsgate or Disney in the HD war. A LONG way.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
This has gone from disappointing to aggravating. :angry: I have absolutely no confidence in Fox (which reminds me of the early days of SD-DVD). I suppose we're only 7 days away from their next "delay", Aragon. sigh... O'well, I'll just spend money elsewhere and right off the Fox titles. While I like Mr. & Mrs. Smith it's not a title I can't live without. I wonder what's has coming out next week that I can pick up instead...

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Great point. Too many people are trying to decide this "war" based on announcements. This was a disk I was looking forward to getting as I never bought one of the SD versions. I hope we find out about it soon.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Count me in with those who have the negative opinions of Fox. They are acting very bush league right now.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Phil,

In another thread we have just concluded that there's NO player out supporting DTS-MA - but it's expected to be a future upgrade on the PS3 - only (sic!). Also, some players are supposed to arrive this year with support for the codec. And also, no-one could name a BD release with DTS-MA, except some announced releases "probably" having DTS-MA tracks, and some other strongly believed to have.

I'm beginning to wonder what the touted "plenty support" of those studios for BD really means in practice!
Perhaps even, HD DVD has more real support than BD gets!

Cees

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott

Cees,

Don't all Fox titles released so far have DTS-MA? They call it DTS-HD Master Lossless Audio on the specifications grid/label. Isn't that the same?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Scott,

No doubt, if they say it contains DTS HD Master (lossless) Audio, then it must be the real thing! Thanks for clearing that up.

There's no need to think they would lie about that (only extremely occasionally has there been an indication on the case that appeared to be wrong), although no-one can check it or enjoy it yet, of course.

Cees

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
You can't blame FOX for the lack on DTS-MA support in the hardware. Blame the hardware manufacturers, or better yet, the initial BD specs that did not make support a mandatory requirement in the BD hardware.

All this just adds to the confusion of the buying ppublic and makes it a lot harder in deciding what hardware to buy.

Of course, we can all wait for HDMI 1.3 receivers with DTS and DD lossless decoding. There goes another $2000.00 bucks.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Cees,

When you said "announced releases" I was envisioning pre-order titles, I read that wrong. Yes I agree that until there are players/receivers that can decode DTS-MA we won't know for sure.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Here are the following Blu-ray titles in my collection that are marked having DTS HD-MA:

The Usual Suspects (Blu-ray)
Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
The Marine (Blu-ray)
Chronos (Blu-ray)
Broken Arrow (Blu-ray)
Transporter 2 (Blu-ray)
The Devil Wears Prada (Blu-ray)
Bulletproof Monk (Blu-ray)
Ice Age: The Meltdown (Blu-ray)
X-Men (Blu-ray) This one with 6.1 DTS ES HD-MA
The Transporter (Blu-ray)
Speed (Blu-ray)
The League of Extraordinary Gentleman (Blu-ray)
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
Fantastic Four (Blu-ray)
Behind Enemy Lines (Blu-ray)

Paul

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Great, Paul, thanks.
(And I can swallow a few of my previous grumpy remarks! :) )

Cees

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
So, Fox missed the release date on Mr. and Mrs. Smith? Have they announced a new date or is this title officially in the black hole of uncertainty?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks