What's new

Andy Barker, Private Eye (merged) (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Watch the pilot (legally) here:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/tvbuzz?GT1=7703

Pretty damn good premise. :) If you're a Conan fan you know the fascination he has with detective/whodunit stories, seems he team up with Richter and made a sitcom out of it.

Andy's acting still bugs me but I hope he improves as the show goes on.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Thank you for sharing the link, Scott. I've filed it for later viewing.

I knew there was going to be a new t.v. show with Andy Richter but didn't know Conan O'Brien was also involved.

Looking forward to seeing this preview, I also like detective/whodunit stories and comedy.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I caught the pilot for Andy Richter online today and will probably watch the other five episodes tonight when I get home. I think the show, so far, is hilarious. I think if Scrubs end this year, they should move Earl and the Office up a half hour and put Andy at 8pm because of the three, I think it's the tamest. I do not want 30 Rock to be canceled, so I don't know if I'm rooting for this to be the last season of Scrubs or not.

It seems like NBC has decided it only has room for 4 half hour comedies but a whole bunch of time for game shows. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they moved or cancelled ER and had a three hour block of great sitcoms.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've watched 4 out of the 6 episodes so far and think it is pretty damn funny. Perhaps the funniest detective comedy since Barney Miller.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I've watched a few of these as well, its pretty good. I still like Psych and Monk a little more than this though. I think a full hour format like those two shows have would be better than the half hour format its currently in.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I've watched all six episodes for free and an now thinking of buying them off of I-Tunes. How easy is it to burn them to DVDRs?

The last one with Amy Sedaris was frikkin' hilarious. I think at 30 minutes (actualy 21 minutes) they are pretty good. I don't think they'd be improved by being an hour long, but back to back 30 minute episodes would be great. I like Psych, and at times Monk, but hands down I like Andy Barker the best of the three. And as much as it pains me, I like it better than Police Squad and Sledgehammer.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I look forward to your opinion Patrick, but trust me, the pilot is good but the show gets better with each episode, and you'll only get to see episode 6 online at NBC.Com or buy it on I-Tunes (I just bought all six episode for $10 and will by the DVD if it comes out.) Episode 6 is the one with Amy Sedaris and Ed Asner and is a little to raunchy for network TV (Comedy Central after 10 for sure!)

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I saw the pilot from iTunes and thought it was great. An awesome addition to NBC's already amazing Thursday-night line-up. If this isn't the last season of Scrubs, I seriously hope they revamp the line-up and make it three hours.

(And is just me, or wouldn't Arrested Development be a perfect fit on NBC Thursdays?)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I don't know. I like Andy Richter, but something about him just bugs me. The characters he plays are almost like cartoons. And I can't stand when an actor talks to himself to help the viewer understand what he's doing (the Google scene comes to mind).

So you're telling me one of the episodes won't be on NBC in HD? If that's the case, I'm definitely bailing.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the better comedy pilots I've seen. I can't quite trust Andy after his brutal turn in "Monk" but he was quite likable here. Really liked Tony Hale in a more subdued role than AD, and the Middle-Eastern restaurant owner who decked out with patriotic decor after 9/11 so he wouldn't be the target of hate crimes.
More of a chuckle than the outright laughs I get with the other three, but still fun.

What's the story with an internet only episode? How can NBC justify the cost when only a tiny sliver of the show's audience will ever get to see it?

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Episode 6 would get a TV-MA rating and they'd have to show it after 10. Unless the ratings are way better than 30 Rock I think these are the only 6 episodes we'll get.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's weird seeing Tony "Buster" Hale with a functional left hand.

It was probably too heavy on the plot side, and the comedy suffered for it, but it's just the first episode, so I'll check out some more episodes to see where it goes.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Unless NBC decides it is willing to give us more than 4 sitcoms, Andy Barker will be just another "Brilliant But Canceled."

Joe_H

Screenwriter
You know, I didn't really think the 6th episode was all that risque. No worse than anything Family Guy shows on the air at 9pm, thats for sure.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I've only seen the pilot, but I certainly didn't see even a hint of "brilliance".

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I just watched this show. I found the humor in it. I am a firm believer that it takes a season for a show (network show like NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, etc) to get into full swing (with the exception of Arrested Development). Based on what I saw and my lack of faith in networks, I think this show will get canceled, but Id be willing to devote time to watching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks