Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Vista Upgrade / Remote Control question.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 04:53 AM

Right now we have a 'media computer' hooked up to our HDTV. This is not a Media Center Edition pc however. We're just running XP home.

I am thinking of upgrading to Vista on just our media computer. I know that Vista is/has MCE. I know that MCE can work with a remote.

Here's my question:

Our current computer clearly doesn't have an IR receiver so how does upgrading to Vista and using a Remote (harmony 880, to be purchased today) work? Will I have to purchase an add on IR Receiver? Or is it just impossible to use a remote with my existing rig?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Bob_C

Bob_C

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 03:25 AM

I use a Harmony remote with my mce 2005 system. The only thing is, I had to buy the official MS remote to make it work. It comes with the USB receiver you need to make it happen. You can find them on newegg.com for around $40.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit

• 322 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 09:02 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted March 19 2007 - 02:12 AM

My HP MCE came with a remote and IR receiver, however I have been unable to figure out how to get it linked up with my Logitec multifunction remote.

Regardless, if you're getting MC, I recommend the remote. Unless you've got a wireless keyboard, then it's really moot.