Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox Classic titles in June

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 of 51 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:07 PM

I'm excited about Fox announcements as much as Warner's, but it seems in June they start re-releasing a bunch of title. Here's a list of titles coming in June, but it's just start and definitely more titles will come. All titles below have a list price of 19.98

June 5
The Neptune Factor
The Sand Pebbles - Special Edition
Twelve O'Clock High - Special Edition
Von Ryan's Express - Special Edition

June 12
Charley's Aunt
The Hustler - Collector's Edition
Jeeves Collection
The Three Musketeers
The Verdict - Collector's Edition

#2 of 51 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:19 PM

Re-releases = boring

It would be OK if they did these along with a series of new releases, but when they just reissue a film it just comes across as a cash in.

#3 of 51 ONLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,227 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:49 PM

Fox must be pretty desperate to call the toy-sub-in-a-fishtank "epic" THE NEPTUNE FACTOR a classic, unless its definition of classic is simply an old movie.

#4 of 51 OFFLINE   GregoryMesh

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:50 PM

Sorry, that was my definition.

#5 of 51 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill
Fox must be pretty desperate to call the toy-sub-in-a-fishtank "epic" THE NEPTUNE FACTOR a classic, unless its definition of classic is simply an old movie.
I didn't think much of Island in the Sun, Quiller Memorandum or The Chairman which got the same treatment.

But sometimes it works the other way, Allan Dwan's B film The River's Edge got the Fox Studio Classics treatment, and although it is far from what most consider a classic film, I thought it was excellent.

#6 of 51 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:08 AM

I'd be interested in how different the new "The Hustler" is, since it's one of my favorites of all time. Otherwise, I'd agree with Simon

Quote:
Re-releases = boring

"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#7 of 51 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:32 AM

As far as I know, Charley's Aunt is not a re release.
And anyone knows which version of The Three Musketeers is gonna be released (1939 or 19373)? I hope will be the Don Ameche one.

#8 of 51 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:36 AM

There are a few items of potential interest here:

Charlie's Aunt: Presumably the 1941 Jack Benny version. Nice to have some more Benny on DVD at last.

The Three Musketeers: Maybe the 1939 Ritz Brothers version? Same comment for the Ritzes as for Benny, although I would have preferred a Ritz collection.

The Jeeves Collection: presumably Fox's two (?) Wodehouse adaptations with Arthur Treacher as Jeeves: Thank You, Jeeves (1936) and Step Lively, Jeeves (1937).

To my knowledge these are not reissues (?).

Edit: Rafael, I think we must have been posting at the same time! Posted Image

#9 of 51 OFFLINE   ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson

Second Unit

• 287 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelPires
And anyone knows which version of The Three Musketeers is gonna be released (1939 or 19373)? I hope will be the Don Ameche one.

The Don Ameche one is also the Ritz Bros one, so let's hope so...

#10 of 51 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 01:00 AM

The 1973 version directed by Richard Lester is already out.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#11 of 51 ONLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,308 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 01:44 AM

Charley's Aunt and Neptune Factor are definite buys. I've already got the other titles and feel no need to upgrade to "special" editions.

#12 of 51 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 02:14 AM

There was a memorable "Leave It to Beaver" episode in which Beaver had to do a book report on Dumas's THE THREE MUSKETEERS, and not having read the book, he sees the Ritz-Ameche version on tv the night before. Dumas foolishly omitted many incidents that were actually in the movie version. Lester's films were controlled by the Salkinds and Anchor Bay has released them. By the by, MGM/WB's THE THREE MUSKETEERS (1948) is simply one of the most gorgeous renderings of Technicolor that I've ever seen on dvd.
Charles Hoyt

#13 of 51 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 03:14 AM

I'll definitely wait & see what special features there are before I start re-buying some of those films.

The Neptune Factor is a guilty pleasure of mine that I never thought would make its way onto DVD so I'm very happy. It's really pretty bad, but I never get bored watching it. If you enjoy watching films like Night of the Lepus, then you might like this one.

#14 of 51 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 03:25 AM

I would hope that THE MEANEST MAN IN THE WORLD would be included with CHARLEY'S AUNT. It's only 57 minutes long, and there's no other context that it could be released in. Certainly Fox surpasses WB in the number of their never-before-on-home-video releases. The Hemingway and Alice Faye boxes are awesome (all with restoration comparison and jaw-dropping special features). Letterboxed CINDERELLA LIBERTY, JOHN AND MARY, and THE TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES are revelations. Even the dire dismissable THE OTHER SIDE OF MIDNIGHT is redeemed by an audio commentary by author Sheldon, director Jarrott, and producer Yablans. Be warned: It takes them 2 and a half hours to bring up "the Elephant in the Bedroom"--STAR WARS. And there is no mention whatsoever of "block booking."
Charles Hoyt

#15 of 51 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 04:56 AM

Some great news here - the Sand pebbles is the first release of the recently restored roadshow version with at least 14 - 18 mnutes of missing footage.

#16 of 51 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 06:02 AM

A Restored "The Sand Pebbles"! Definate purchase (I love this film) great news!

#17 of 51 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,306 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 08 2007 - 07:08 AM

First South Pacific, now Sand Pebbles. I wonder what other cut films will have their uncut versions surface at long last? I definitely want to see what got cut.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#18 of 51 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewA
First South Pacific, now Sand Pebbles. I wonder what other cut films will have their uncut versions surface at long last? I definitely want to see what got cut.

Too bad FOX doesn't have the cut songs from the Roadshow "Doctor Dolittle" These may have been cut before the first week of release

#19 of 51 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted March 08 2007 - 09:27 AM

I'm not happy to see some films here that I've already purchased (TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, THE VERDICT) in their first incarnations, but Fox did do some nice clean-up on ALL ABOUT EVE and HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY between the first issues and the later releases under the Studio Classics name, so I'll be reading the reviews carefully to see if the transfers are new and/or improved.

#20 of 51 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,477 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 08 2007 - 10:30 AM

Surely the CE of The Hustler is just a repackaging? The current disc has flawless a/v and already has two commentaries, a documentary, and some trailers.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow