Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Movies not on DVD caught in 'rights hell'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
109 replies to this topic

#1 of 110 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 04:30 AM

I'd like to talk about those films that have yet to appear on DVD (or any other form of home video) due to disputes regarding either the ownership of the particular title or the material it was based on (play/book/Broadway musical) A few come to mind:

Letty Lynton- this Joan Crawford film was the subject of an infamous civil suit in which MGM lost to the author of a play. It seems that MGM failed to get the rights to a hit Broadway play Dishonored Lady by Edward Sheldon, which in turn was based on the notorious Madeline Smith case of the 1800s. As a result, MGM decided to do its own version of the Smith case, but with modern-day charcters played by joan Crawford, Robert Montgomery and Nils Asther. The movie was a box-office bonanza, but Sheldon sued and won the right to have the film removed from circulation.

http://www.faculty.p....heldon.mgm.htm

(This was a VERY bad time for MGM in the courts- at the same time they had to deal with a slander suit regarding Rasputin and the Empress, which led to the now familiar credit 'This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance between characters and actual persons living or dead is purely coincidental"- yeah, they lost that case, too!)

Then there's the time-travel fantasy Berkeley Square starring Leslie Howard as a 1930s man who winds up in the 1800s and falls in love (sound familiar, Christopher Reeve fans?), and its part-Techincolor (in the past sequences) remake I'll Never Forget You a.k.a. The House In The Square starring Tyrone Power. Both of these films are apparently caught in a rights dispute over the source material and are scarely seen today.

Also, the Samuel Goldywn version of Porgy and Bess is being held up by the estate of George Gershwin (supposedly they're not too thrilled with it), kinda like the situation with the Irving Berlin estate holding on to Annie Get Your Gun until a few years ago.

I've also heard that the Bette Davis trash classic Beyond The Forest may also be in a rights dispute, but I can't find anything to prove this.

I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg: there are probably a lot of films out there that haven't seen the light of day in years due to courtroom litigation (like a few Orson Welles films and of course Jerry Lewis' The Day The Clown Cried). Okay- the thread is now open!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#2 of 110 OFFLINE   Jon Martin

Jon Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,219 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 05:42 AM

Visconti's THE STRANGER has been held up for decades, I believe because of a dispute with the Camus estate.

#3 of 110 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 06:12 AM

The Constant Nymph (43) and the earlier 30s version are both tied up to the estate of Margaret Kennedy, author of the book which inspired the films. And what a shame - Fontaine's Nymph is one of the greatest films ever made and a prize jewel in Warner history in every single way.

Sergeants 3 (62), the Rat Pack version of Gunga Din, has been tied up for years in a legal battle between Frank Sinatra’s estate and the studios (now MGM).

The Joker Is Wild (57), with Sinatra, has some rights problems involving its music that Paramount has not been able (willing?) to clear. I believe With a Song in My Heart (52) is in the same sort of predicament.

Not sure if Alan Ladd's version of The Great Gatsby (49) is caught up in a similar situation or if Paramount is just being capricious. Does anyone know?

Apparently, Money from Home (53) (Damon Runyon striking again?) and Three Ring Circus (54) (reason?) are in a rights no-show as well.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#4 of 110 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 06:29 AM

Ooh boy- it's worse than I thought! Of course, everyone loses in this situation, but the public most of all.....
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#5 of 110 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 06:33 AM

The Blue Veil (51) is also in litigation - another supremely beautiful film.

Spring Parade (40) Universal lost the rights to the film in 1945, after the scriptwriter of the Austrian original sued. Universal had the chance to buy the property back years later but refused.
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#6 of 110 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 07:59 AM

I suspect that the Moss Hart estate (Kitty Carlisle?) have held up the video rights to WINGED VICTORY and LADY IN THE DARK. (LADY was about to come out on vhs but was abruptly pulled; it was shown on AMC ages ago.) Then there is the very mysterious case of BOOMERANG. Nobody seems to know what happened there. There are no video releases of the Bob Hope films THE CAT AND THE CANARY and NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH (both announced at one time for VHS) and LET'S FACE IT. My own holy grail is WHERE'S CHARLEY?, but the Frank Loesser estate believes it is an inferior representation of the original show. Pauline Kael and I beg to disagree. Warners was going to release JEALOUSY, the 1929 Paramount version of THE LETTER, but nothing has been heard recently about that. Maybe on THE UNFAITHFUL dvd? And the disapproval of the Maugham estate of Deanna Durbin and Gene Kelly's CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY may be why it has not been released in the USA. I wonder if story rights to Otto Preminger's THE THIRTEENTH LETTER, a remake of LE CORBEAU have prevented it from being put on home video?
Charles Hoyt

#7 of 110 OFFLINE   LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 08:23 AM

Rumor has it that MISSISSIPPI with Bing Crosby and W.C. Fields is in rights hell, but hardly anybody has noticed because so few of Fields films were released on VHS or DVD (the new DVD set will rectify a lot of that, although MISSISSIPPI isn't flowing yet). Ditto, of course, Abbott & Costello in IT AIN'T HAY.

#8 of 110 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 08:30 AM

I believe Bob Hope's THE CAT AND THE CANARY is held up because of issues with the original owners of the source material (the play) that its based on.

Supposedly, THE DAY THE CLOWN CRIED wasn't completed, either...There was an article on it, and it was mostly finished, but not quite. I believe the financing there was international and muddled so that would also be a nightmare to untangle...not that Jerry Lewis will ever let it out!

#9 of 110 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 559 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:36 AM

Ironically I saw BERKELEY SQUARE at a film convention in 1990. I wish I could recall more of it!

#10 of 110 OFFLINE   ted:r

ted:r

Second Unit

• 336 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 12:34 PM

I'd have to add "Titicut Follies" (1967). According to IMDB:

Quote:
The only American film banned from release for reasons other than obscenity or national security, Titicut Follies was filmed inside the Massachusetts Correctional Institution at Bridgewater, a prison hospital for the criminally insane. After the Commonwealth of Massachusetts sued the filmmakers, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court ruled that the film constituted was an invasion of inmate privacy and ordered the withdrawal of the film from circulation.

I suppose this is one film that possibly will never show up on DVD.
"I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me."

My 25 most wanted DVDs: Chilly Scenes Of Winter (1979); The Dead (1987); The African Queen (1951); Johnny Guitar (1954); The Sterile Cuckoo (1969); The Friends Of Eddie Coyle (1973); The Rain People (196...

#11 of 110 OFFLINE   Bob Graham

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor

• 506 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 01:03 PM

Olson and Johnson's HELLZAPOPPIN is held up over rights issues. Universal doesn't want to pay royalties to the writers (or the estate of the writers) of the original Broadway play. It was released on DVD in Australia.

#12 of 110 OFFLINE   Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

• 192 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted:r
I'd have to add "Titicut Follies" (1967).

I saw that in film school. It was really scary.

Robert Altman's 'HealtH' might belong on the list... there used to be four Altman movies to which the music rights hadn't been negotiated for home video. The other three are now on DVD ('3 Women', 'Images', and 'California Split', which was cut by a few minutes because of this), but 'HealtH' never has been. And the thing is, Fox Movie Channel usually broadcasts stuff in widescreen at least once in a while, but they never have with this, which leads me to believe there isn't even a widescreen version available to them yet (they've shown it in pan-and-scan often). (For comparison, 'The Wedding' played WS two years on FMC before DVD release, and 'Quintet' was about a year before.)

#13 of 110 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 05:21 PM

In the Warner Bros. Chat we learned the 1961 film version of "Fanny" is no longer owned by Warner Bros. (Who owns the rights to this film then?) Nominated for Academy Awards for Best Picture and Best Actor (Charles Boyer) plus 3 others (Lost to "West Side Story" which won the bulk of the awards that year) Based on the Pagnol trilogy, this is a very well acted and touching film and should be available for viewing on DVD. Also starring Leslie Caron, Maurice Chevalier and Horst Buchholz this is the dramatic version (not a musical)

#14 of 110 OFFLINE   Dave Simkiss

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts
  • LocationWales UK

Posted March 07 2007 - 08:44 PM

Richard Stanleys Hardware is another to add to the list, I believe MGM attempted to release it a few years back but it's still caught up in 'who owns the rights' Hell. It got a German DVD release years back, but that appears to now be out of print.

#15 of 110 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 10:45 PM

Beyond the Forest, is, indeed, held up because of literary rights problems.
the same goes for The Wayward Bus and The View from Pompeys Head.

#16 of 110 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 11:23 PM

Are sometimes DVD legal issues really the fact a film has a clause where an estate gets money each time the film is reissued?

In other words the copyright holder may say "oh that film has legal issues, we can't release it", but what they really mean is "if we release that film we will have to hand over $500,000 to and we don't want to give them that much money."

#17 of 110 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,888 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:20 AM

Isn't the slasher classic Stepfather another one? I just picked up the mediocre sequel because it was cheap but it's just not the same. Posted Image
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#18 of 110 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,901 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:51 AM

The Wayward Bus? (Or as I call it, The Wayward Busts due to stars Jayne Mansfield and Joan Collins) How can that be when other John Steinbeck-based films like The Grapes Of Wrath and Of Mice And Men have been released? Hmmm- this could explain why it wasn't included in Fox's Jayne Mansfield set.

So my suspicions regarding Beyond The Forest have sadly been proved true- I only wish to see it again on TCM. For those who haven't seen it- it is truly a great achievement in trash cinema. See the movie that drove Bette Davis out of Warner Brothers!

#19 of 110 OFFLINE   Mark Oates

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor

• 874 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 12:57 AM

Hellzapoppin and The Cat and the Canary are both out in R2.
J Mark Oates
Do Not Be Afraid. That sound is simply my mind boggling.

#20 of 110 ONLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,291 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 01:47 AM

Speaking of Robert Altman's Health, is Altman's missing in action Come Back To The Five And Dime, Jimmy Dean also in rights hell? Who owns this film?

Forum Nav Content I Follow