Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount Re-enters Hi-Def Formats w/Spring & Early Summer Line-up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 09:01 AM

Nice to see Paramount back in the game. Good for HD DVD & Blu-ray. Posted Image

Source:
http://dvd.themanroo...view.php?id=498

Failure to Launch (both)...April 24
Flags Of Our Fathers (both)...May 22
Mission Impossible (both) available separately now...May 22
MI-2 (both)...May 22
Coming To America (BD only?)...June 5
Trading Places (both)....June 5

Posted Image

#2 of 19 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 09:08 AM

I can finally get Mission and Mission II on HD-DVD. I just didn't have the money at the time to get the Ultimate Missions Boxset...
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#3 of 19 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 11:17 PM

Two of my Eddie Murphy favorites hit HD and BD in June.

Quote:
Paramount Home Entertainment will kick off its Blu-ray and HD DVD summer slate with a double dose of Eddie Murphy, announcing two of the comedian's biggest hits for release this June Complete Story

Inserted this post here, Thomas, to keep equal things in 1 thread - CA
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#4 of 19 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 02:35 AM

I think there are many people like you Corey who were waiting for the contents of that set being offered separately.

I can only hope that Paramount will flood the gates with their great catalog titles from the '80s.

Ferris Beuller
Airplane
Top Gun
Beverly Hills Cop

and many more! Come on Paramount! Posted Image

#5 of 19 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 03:15 AM

Trading places = 80's Jamie Lee Curtis in HD!

Oo la la.

And a really funny great movie too!

Dave

#6 of 19 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 03:39 AM

Forgot about that quick little scene with Jamie. Actually, little is the wrong word. Posted Image

#7 of 19 Cory S.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor

• 983 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 03:49 AM

I really hope that WB/Paramount also releases Letters From Iwo Jima the same day that Flags Of Our Fathers hits HD. I mean, that would be around the 5 month mark for Letters, since it was released in December.
"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves.  But, not the one it needs right now.  So, we'll hunt.  Because he can take.  Because, he's not a hero.  He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector.  A DARK KNIGHT."

#8 of 19 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 02:31 AM

Some more info regarding Mission Impossible & MI-2...

Quote:
Breaking up its best-selling 'Ultimate Missions' HD DVD and Blu-ray box sets, Paramount Home Entertainment will release the first two 'Mission: Impossible' films as stand-alone discs on May 22. Each single-disc release will be identical to the versions in the box set. Tech specs include 1080p transfers and Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks, and a wealth of extras, including commentaries multiple featurettes, still galleries and more.

Paramount has set a $29.95 list price for each 'Mission' flick.

RE: Trading Places & Coming To America...

Quote:
Both $100 million-plus grossing blockbusters, 'Coming to America' and 'Trading Places' had each been released once before on standard-def DVD, but in bare bones versions that were quite lacking. Now, Paramount is reissuing both titles as fancy new Special Editions on June 5, on all three formats simultaneously -- DVD, Blu-ray and HD DVD.

Paramount has set a suggested $29.95 for each release.

Posted Image

#9 of 19 Sam H

Sam H

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Glover
I think there are many people like you Corey who were waiting for the contents of that set being offered separately.

I can only hope that Paramount will flood the gates with their great catalog titles from the '80s.

Ferris Beuller
Airplane
Top Gun
Beverly Hills Cop

and many more! Come on Paramount! Posted Image

The Naked Gun trilogy and Crocodile Dundee 1 & 2 also. I'd buy all day and date!

#10 of 19 Ali B

Ali B

Second Unit

• 276 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 09:40 AM

I'd move heaven and earth to get one of the formats if Once Upon a Time in the West came out in HD. Sadly still no sign of it - I guess Paramount have got a lot of dross to get through before that one comes out Posted Image

#11 of 19 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 12:34 AM

Glad I held off on the MI set. Now I can go ahead and pick up MI3 on Blu-Ray and MI in May.

Oh and another vote for Once Upon A Time in The West on Blu-Ray/HD. Just thinking about that has my mouth watering.
Death before Streaming!

#12 of 19 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,230 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hopefully, Paramount will continue to ramp up title production - I've been very disappointed with their Hi-def support up to this point.

#13 of 19 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 05:00 PM

The MI-3 on HD DVD has some rather cool video commentary though that the Blu-ray version doesn't have. It's pretty interesting seeing and hearing J.J. Abrams and Tom Cruise discuss the film....Posted Image

#14 of 19 Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted March 10 2007 - 11:42 PM

vanilla sky, titanic, the trek films, Indys and The Warriors would be nice.

#15 of 19 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 04:20 AM

Trek and Indy would be fantastic, though it'll probably be a few years before we see the later.

Besides those & OUATITW, rounding out the top of my Paramount Hi-Def wishlist would be The Godfather, Godfather II, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now & Braveheart.
Death before Streaming!

#16 of 19 MarekM

MarekM

Supporting Actor

• 858 posts

Posted March 11 2007 - 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Trek and Indy would be fantastic, though it'll probably be a few years before we see the later.

Besides those & OUATITW, rounding out the top of my Paramount Hi-Def wishlist would be The Godfather, Godfather II, Chinatown, Apocalypse Now & Braveheart.

I think TREK movies are closer than INDY, but who knows hmm, next year before INDY4 premiere, they can GENERATE big buzz with relasing INDY TRILOGY Posted Image or they will wait few months and make a package with Indy4 FALL/WINTER 2008, maybe hmm

Marek

#17 of 19 Michael Flynn

Michael Flynn

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted March 12 2007 - 12:01 PM

If and when I have HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, TRADING PLACES is mine. My favorite 80's Murphy movie. But where's 48 HRS. in HD/SE? And HD BEVERLY HILLS COP?

In terms of Paramount HD wants for that day (excluding Spielberg titles):

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST
CHINATOWN
GODFATHER I/II
THE ELEPHANT MAN
THE NAKED GUN (with new extras, the TV scenes especially)
PLANES, TRAINS, AND AUTOMOBILES (ditto...my favorite comedy)
ZODIAC (almost a given)
THE UNTOUCHABLES
THE WARRIORS
TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE
SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER, AND UNCUT
STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME
THE TRUMAN SHOW

And COLLATERAL, AMERICAN BEAUTY, GLADIATOR, ROAD TO PERDITION, and OLD SCHOOL from DreamWorks.

#18 of 19 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 11:18 AM

I would rather have Paramount not flood the market with titles yet. These dudes are still using DVD quality soundtracks on many of their titles!!

Flags of Our Fathers in... Dolby Digital!!?? The Blu-ray could easily have a PCM track if they don't have TrueHD or DTS MA encoders yet! If it's a BD-50 then even 24 bit PCM is doable.

Dan

#19 of 19 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 13 2007 - 01:09 PM

Good point. Can HD DVD also accept a PCM track?

The more I really think about HD DVD & Blu-ray too, the more I think we were probably a year away from this being a better launch for both. On the one hand, we get very nice image with 1080p that does seem to push the envelope about as far as they can. (give or take a few exceptions)...but with the audio on these (and alot of these are superior for sure! Posted Image)...still seems like we aren't getting what we could.

I know that is for another thread entirely. Posted Image...

However, since I went front projection a few years ago, Image has evolved in being a tad more important to me overall, but I still want the best audio a format can offer.

Posted Image

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow