What's new

Six more Universal HD DVD titles for 5/29/07 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Excellent.

If they're not combos, I'm definitiely in for Lebowski, Frighteners, Lost In Translation and Midnight Run.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
In addition, it looks like they will not be Combo's.

Looks like Universal is really getting back into release mode.

Edit: Sorry, I hadn't noticed this was already posted.:D No problem, Thomas: merged now! - CA

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
And Frighteners is the Director's cut. This is one of the few Director's cut's I actually think vastly improves the studio hachet job done on the theatrical release.

If the HD DVD advocates can just get by the next 3 weeks, it looks like the release drought will finally be over. (End of) March, April and May are shaping up to be fine months.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Very cool Marek...very cool. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dragonheart is one of those films where I could barely tolerate the usually good Dennis Quaid. Sometimes his voice was sounding near larangitus, other times not, then he sounds okay. REALLY pulls me out of the film. BUT, to hear Sir Sean Connery as Draco remedies all of that. Simply majestic and a bonus is the top notch score. Tremendous.

Frighteners was one of those films that kind of tanked at the box office but has found a home on video. I remember the coveted deluxe laserdisc was a rather big hit...

Excited about May 29th for sure. :)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Cool, three must-buys for me in that list (Lost in Translation, The Big Lebowski, and The Frighteners). Good to see Universal is getting back in the swing of things. Can we have "Jaws" now, please? Spielberg doesn't have to know. ;)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Some nice cover art for these gems. Oh, I totally forgot about Midnight Run. I had this confused with something else. This one is GREAT. More to buy! :)

Very nice indeed.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks for posting the artwork Tim.

It looks like the 2nd half of 2007 will be quite stellar for HD-DVD. I am now starting to believe that Universal will reach their promised 100 title deadline - and possibly surpass it by a few titles.

BSG S-1, Heroes S1, Star Trek: TOS remastered S1, The Birds, Psycho, and god knows what else may be planned for the last quarter of 2007.

I am predicting that we'll probably see a Spielberg title by the end of 2007.
Contrary to all of the FUD we've been exposed to the past two months, it looks like HD-DVD will be around for quite some time.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Nice list indeed. :)
All we need to see next is the actual price.

Cees

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott

From the article, "Each will be priced at $29.98 (SRP)". Amazon should have them for $19.95 before the 10% discount.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'll believe it when i see it. :D. been disappointed 2many times by "paper" launches.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Well, I believe it...it will be hard for Universal to meet their stated quota if not. They were quiet in Jan & Feb but look to make up for it the remainder of the year. :)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Dragonheart...maybe, depending on price and if it's not a combo, but that'd be the only one.

I've pretty much given up on buying anymore HD-DVDs, looking at what is to come I don't see any titles I'd buy. Between the lack of good titles, the combo's and most lacking TrueHD it's just not worth the price of the disk. The good news is the A1's upscaling, I'll keep using it for that anyway.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
These are already listed for presale at both Amazon and DVD Empire. They are not speculation. Now could they see a bump in their release dates? Of course, but probably not likely. It looks like Universal wasn't ignoring the HD crowd, just getting their releases together.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Dave,

I'm aware that Trek is CBS/Paramount. I wasn't just speaking exclusively of Universal - I realize I could've been clearer though. Thanks.

According to the CBS/Paramount press release, Star Trek: TOS S1 appears to be coming to HD-DVD/DVD combo FIRST.

I believe that possibly one of the reasons for this, is that I don't believe they will release an SD-DVD counterpart of this set, just the HD-DVD/SD combo set. I guess this would also be cheaper for CBS, and also a stealthy way of introducing the Trek crowd to HD. I believe this might've been different if Blu-ray had incorporated an SD layer/side in its spec.

I am guessing this set will be expensive. Paramount is notorious for pricing Trek sets high, so we'll probably be looking at $150.00 msrp minimum. I just hope that HD-DVD captializes on this and does a promotion to make the public aware that Trek is finally available in HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks