What's new

Cheesy 80's movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

lasvidfil

Auditioning
Real Name
steve schiffman
Anyone else out there who loved some of the glorious cheese that came out of the 80's? I'm talking classics like Spring Break, Stewardess School, Hot Stuff...where are they?? Is it a coincidence they were all released by Columbia? It's a miracle that Private Resort came out. Anyone else missing some cheese??

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I can't say that I was a big fan of these movies, but since they came out during a critical period of my life (i.e. puberty), I would kind of like to revisit some of them....and actually see them without the scrambled picture that I tried to watch on Skinamax :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
The only 80s movies that I think are cheesy are the ones that, to my eyes, have no redeeming value at all whatsoever. For me, cheesy has always signified bad, and I would never call a movie I enjoyed bad. No matter how horrible others may think a movie is, if I can find something of redemption in it, then it isn't a bad movie to me. I had referred to several movies I reviewed for the 80s Movies Rewind as "cheesy" and "brainless" and things like that, but that was before I grasped the true meaning of those words. As such, I've looked for redeeming factors in these movies, reevaluating them to see if I should have used the words to begin with. I've been able to find something of redemption in all of these movies. Whether it's the design, the music or some other intangible(s), I no longer think of those movies as cheesy.

The only movies that I think are cheesy are the ones that, to me, have no redeeming factors at all. This is purely a matter of opinion, but to me, movies like "Road House" and "Xanadu", which I had enjoyed at one time, no longer hold the same value for me that they once did. I watched these movies and I wondered "What was I thinking?". "Road House" is a perfecr example. I tried as hard as I could to find something redeeming within them, but I just couldn't do it, no matter how hard I tried. As a result, I donated these movies to the library.

Basically, if I can find something to enjoy about a movie, not just from the 80s, but from any decade, then I would never use the word "cheesy". If I can't find anything of redemption, then the movie, whatever it might be, is worthy of the moniker.

Out of the 3 movies you mentioned, the only one I've seen is "Stewardess School". When I had reviewed it for the Rewind, I had criticized it in a negative way, but on thinking about it, I've found several items of redemption. Probably the most notable one is Rob Paulsen's performance as Larry Falkwell. This movie showed that Paulsen is as talented in front of the camera as he is behind it. He redeems the movie for me.

In closing, the word "cheesy" disturbs me. I don't understand how you can enjoy something, but think that it's stupid or lame at the same time. That isn't something I plan on ever doing again. I'll think about the movies I see, whichever movies they are, and make my evaluations from there. It may just be my opinion, but it's something I'm passionate about. The 80s are my favorite decade, and when people use the word "cheesy" to describe something that they supposedly enjoy, it doesn't make sense to me. If I didn't explain this well enough, I encourage you to tell me how I can explain it better.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

It's all a matter of personal opinion.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'd love to see DVD releases of those films. Isn't Hot Stuff a 70s movie? It's cheesy, but I'm not sure if I'd put it in the same category as films like Stewardess School, Spring Break and Private Resort. I think the latter made it to DVD because Johnny Depp is in it... what chance does Stewardess School have with Don Most as the biggest star?

lasvidfil

Auditioning
Real Name
steve schiffman
The only 80s movies that I think are cheesy are the ones that, to my eyes, have no redeeming value at all whatsoever. For me, cheesy has always signified bad, and I would never call a movie I enjoyed bad. No matter how horrible others may think a movie is, if I can find something of redemption in it, then it isn't a bad movie to me. I had referred to several movies I reviewed for the 80s Movies Rewind as "cheesy" and "brainless" and things like that, but that was before I grasped the true meaning of those words. As such, I've looked for redeeming factors in these movies, reevaluating them to see if I should have used the words to begin with. I've been able to find something of redemption in all of these movies. Whether it's the design, the music or some other intangible(s), I no longer think of those movies as cheesy.

The only movies that I think are cheesy are the ones that, to me, have no redeeming factors at all. This is purely a matter of opinion, but to me, movies like "Road House" and "Xanadu", which I had enjoyed at one time, no longer hold the same value for me that they once did. I watched these movies and I wondered "What was I thinking?". "Road House" is a perfecr example. I tried as hard as I could to find something redeeming within them, but I just couldn't do it, no matter how hard I tried. As a result, I donated these movies to the library.

Basically, if I can find something to enjoy about a movie, not just from the 80s, but from any decade, then I would never use the word "cheesy". If I can't find anything of redemption, then the movie, whatever it might be, is worthy of the moniker.

Out of the 3 movies you mentioned, the only one I've seen is "Stewardess School". When I had reviewed it for the Rewind, I had criticized it in a negative way, but on thinking about it, I've found several items of redemption. Probably the most notable one is Rob Paulsen's performance as Larry Falkwell. This movie showed that Paulsen is as talented in front of the camera as he is behind it. He redeems the movie for me.

In closing, the word "cheesy" disturbs me. I don't understand how you can enjoy something, but think that it's stupid or lame at the same time. That isn't something I plan on ever doing again. I'll think about the movies I see, whichever movies they are, and make my evaluations from there. It may just be my opinion, but it's something I'm passionate about. The 80s are my favorite decade, and when people use the word "cheesy" to describe something that they supposedly enjoy, it doesn't make sense to me. If I didn't explain this well enough, I encourage you to tell me how I can explain it better.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

It's all a matter of personal opinion

WOW! No offense but I wasn't looking for such an in depth analysis on the definition of cheesy. I was just saying that those particular films aren't Oscar winning, critically acclaimed masterpieces so they fall under the category of films that are considered brainless but funny, sex based but unoffensive movies that many have seen on cable a billion times during their high school years that were funny as hell at the time but 20 years later maybe not so much yet still bring a smile to your face. In other words, cheesy! I don't scrutinize movies to death to make sure it has something redeeming in it. You either like it or you don't. Simple as that.
For the record, I never get tired of watching Road House. I own the DVD and yet always stop to watch it when it's on cable.

lasvidfil

Auditioning
Real Name
steve schiffman

You're right. I think it was 79/80 and no it's not in the same "sex crazed" category as the others. It's just one particular title i would love to have on DVD. Here's another one for the cheesy pile: GORP
Totally bizaare sex comedy with very young Dennis Quaid, Rosanna Arquette and Fran Drescher as counselors at a Jewish Summer Camp.

Stephen Heath

Stunt Coordinator
I'd kill for a copy of Up The Creek... it just grabbed me way back when... it had Tim Matheson and a bunch of other guys on a white water rafting trip with Higgins from Magnum PI in a great guest role as the dean of their school (the worst in the country) wanting to win something... ANYTHING! :)

BrianM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
The movie I have been looking for is "Big Man On Campus". I have had my Tivo programed to record this if it ever came on for 4-5 years and it has never once shown up. Whats more nobody I know has any recollection of it. Maybe I dreamed it. Has anyone seen this movie and was it really as funny as I remember it to be.
Thanks- Sincerely Bob Malugalugaluga.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I don;t think "cheesy" is necissarly a bad thing. I'd describe most exploitation and such as cheesy, but I still like the movies.

Admitting that a film is technically bad doesn't mean that it's a bad film to watch right?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I have "Big Man on Campus" on laserdisc, but I'd love to replace it with a DVD. It used to come on HBO all the time, and I couldn't get enough of it. It still makes me laugh and I quote it to my friends (usually the "maka-malooga, Cathy, Cathy" chant or the "two speed" bit) all the time. I like going to fried chicken restaurants and ordering "two faces."

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
WOW! A couple of you are really taking the word "CHEESY" way too seriously. Is this word really as derogatory as you claim it to be? Personally, I've always considered the word "CHEESY" to be a term of endearment. Sure, it has it's negative connotations, but to equate this word with terrible or worthless is a big mistake. IMHO

Also, to claim that any film that has a single redeeming characteristic pretty much eliminates any film in history from being "CHEESY". I could easily find a single item in ANY film that would be a redeeming characteristic. Even the Ed Wood films have redeeming characteristics.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
The king of cheesy movies for me is "Killer Klowns from Outer Space" (1988). It's terribly bad and good at the same time! :D:emoji_thumbsup:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I'd kill for a copy of Up The Creek"

x2

My brother and I will still occasionally say something from this film and I havent seen it prob in just over 20 years. Theres some funny lines in it.

"oh my god.. they.. cut out his liver" :)

Over the years, more than a few times, when my brother is doing something Ill hear him mumble "you may ski on dis side or on dis side but stay out of zee middle"

You know the rest.

I may have to look some of these up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks