Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

JBL Studio Series I & II

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   James C. Jr.

James C. Jr.

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 12:35 AM

Hello All,

I just upgraded my Northridge 5.1 setup by replacing the front mains (N28) with Studio Series 310 II floorstanders. They are sweet! However, I am now looking to replace the center channel with a Studio Series model. What is the difference between the series I and II center (besides the color)? It seems the series I is more availible used, but I want whatever is better/matches the mains. Thanks.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   aht3

aht3

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 03:13 PM

I own the Sudio L series but don't know much about other JBL speakers. You would definitely get some help at the JBL forum.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/
Pioneer VSX 94THX
JBL Studio L890s Up Front
JBL Studio LC2 at Center
JBL Studio L820s Surrounds
JBL Studio L820s RearsHSU VTF2-MK3 SubSony 46" XBR3 LCD

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   johnny..bon

johnny..bon

Stunt Coordinator

• 174 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 05:02 AM

At one time I had a pair of S-38's and S-38ii's and I thought the first pair sounded better. I also ran a S-center with a pair of S-310ii's and they sounded good together. I believe the S-310ii's are better than the first series.
I would suggest you run the original S-center with the S310ii's.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Shane K

Shane K

Agent

• 26 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 01:55 PM

There were really no major differences between the i and ii series Studio models besides cosmetics. JBL went from the bronze colored cones to a darker pewter and the grill colors went from a charcoal (almost brownish) to black. The bookshelf and tower speakers also had a slightly different wood grain finish between the lines. To fully match the S310ii's aestetically I would recommend an S-center ii but there really shouldn't be a discernable difference in performance by mixing lines.

Kinger

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   James C. Jr.

James C. Jr.

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 05:57 AM

I wanted to update my original post by letting you know I contacted JBL on this issue. I recieved an E-mail from their support service which stated that the series II had improved components and drivers. Any opinions?

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Chris Huber

Chris Huber

Second Unit

• 416 posts

Posted March 09 2007 - 06:57 AM

I've got the S312iis with the S-Center-II up front. Sounds really good. Much better then the regular northridge series I listened to in the store. the sound much warmer/richer.

I would stay with the same series up front, so get the SIIs...