What's new

What are your standards for double-dipping up to an HD format? (1 Viewer)

Adam_R

Second Unit
I will not double dip movies that are not top notch animation, sci-fi, action or fantasy type movies.

Examples I will double dip for:

Matrix
LoTR
The Frightners
Terminator
ANY Pixar film
Star Wars (OT please)
Raiders of the Lost Ark

I will, of course only be buying HD movies from now on that I do not already own.

Your standards?

Adam_R

Second Unit

I too am weak, but only for the really good stuff.

For instance: I really like the movie The Wedding Singer, but I will never buy it HD since it does not feature any crazy visuals or audio for that matter.

Brian Sheffield

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian
I won't buy any title in either HD format that I already own. Catalogue titles are a crap shoot until the format war is over.

I only purchase new releases or older movies that I do not own; however, I'm not so strict on renting. ;)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Adam, do you own hd-dvd or blu-ray currently? By doube dip, do you mean titles you already have on dvd and double dipping by buying the hd version, or do you mean titles you have on hdef that may come out with a premium version down the road?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Comedy probably has the least appeal for me.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
or how about a triple dip for something you had on VHS....

grrr - i am NOT gonna be buying much HD DVD

online renting is my friend....

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I will buy any film I really like, whether or not I own it in SD. If it is available in HD and BD, HD gets my buy. I have stopped all SD purchases (other than films for my Grand daughter). Unless there is something spectacular on the disk, I will no longer but SE (HD or BD) if I already own the HD or BD disk. Those days are over for me.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Triple dipping? I have lost count on how many times I have purchased some films. Starting with the 8mm and super 8 releases in the 60's (Even though these were mere 15 min. cuts from the films), VHS, LD and endless releases on DVD.

The nice thing about the HD formats, is that it has caused me to stop buying SD releases, and broken me of the need to buy every new SE release of previously owned movies:) .

thalazy

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
If the price is right I will buy the HD DVD version's on dvd's I own. I will rarely buy double dipped HD DVD's unless a. I really enjoy the film or b. it's King Kong extended edition and only cause I got KK for free.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm only on my fourth copies of The Fugitive and Army of Darkness (and if the HD/DVD combo counts as two...:)). Third copy of Casablanca, although one was part of a box set.

And, yeah, I'll buy some comedies when ones I like come out. HD makes everything look a whole lot better, darn it.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Movies i really love. But that was also a standard when i started upgrading from VHS, but ended up replacing all of them. But i never broke 50 VHS-movies and i have over 300 DVD's.

But movies i am replacing as soon as the formawar is resolved will be:
James Bond 1-21
Spider-Man 1-3
X-men 1-3
Lord of the Rings
Star WARS 1-6
Pirates of the caribbean 1-3
Batman(all of the movies made)
Superman
Indiana Jones
LOST, 24, Heroes and Battlestar Galactica

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For movies that I have on DVD, it has to be a movie I rewatch repeatedly. For example, BROKEN ARROW on BD was a no-brainer. The DVD was non-anamorphic, and though the movie is really flawed, it's a guilty pleasure of mine. The BD wasn't a great transfer, but I'm still glad I upgraded.

I would have bought MISSION IMPOSSIBLE if it had been available separately, so I sprang for the box set on BD to get I and III. Really don't like II at all.

I will replace selected James Bond films if/when they're released (no Roger Moores, however).

As I said, it's got to be a movie that will get a lot of revisits.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
If I liked a title enough to own on SD then I'll upgrade to the HD (Blu-Ray version to be specific) whenever it gets released.

Two notes about your list:

Terminator is already out on BD.

I'm prepared to be pissed off when they announce LOTR as I just know they'll be the theatrical cuts so they can try to get a double dip in a year or so with the Extended cuts.

While we're on topic: What does everyone think will be the first double dip HD (HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) title?

I'd put money on T2. ;)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Rewatchabilty is the big one. I bought alot of dvd's blind and with netflix I no longer need to do that. I made alot of mistakes and I'll bet those with large collections have as well.

Rob Young

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
Depends on how much I liked the movie and what the PQ is like on the next gen disc. Oh and if I have a dvd that was released early on and has a non anamorphic transfer or one that is merely mediocre then I would probably upgrade. An example would be The Sting. I only had the original DVD release so buying the hd dvd was a no-brainer.

When I first got my hd dvd player last summer I was rebuying movies I have on dvd like crazy. After the novelty wore off though I became mroe selective and only have bought a few in the last couple months that I also have on dvd My only bluray "double dip" is The Ususal Suspects because it is one of my fav movies. I did get the SE released on dvd (also have the original dvd so this is purchase #3 of the film) but hey, the movie rules so it was worth getting in high def.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I'll go with THE FIFTH ELEMENT.

Regarding replacing existing SDs with HD copies. I'll replace copies of movies I really like. For example DAS BOOT, SPR, and all theatrical animation. I'll only replace them when the cost of the high definition copy is no higher than the cost of SD discs. Right now, I have generally been buying HD copies of movies that I haven't previously owned. There are, of course, some exceptions.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I now try to keep double dipping to a minimum. There needs to be a significant difference for me to upgrade. My favourite movie of all time is Terminator 2, but I don't see enough of a difference to buy into the Blu-Ray version for me to buy it again. Give me uncompressed PCM/Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MA and I would buy it again.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
My policy for the moment is, no doube-dipping for HD. I get only new material on BD. That's why I will not get Cars nor Pirates 2. Already got them on DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks