Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Need opinions: Orb vs Klipsch Cinema 10 vs SVS SBS-01

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   BrianKiser

BrianKiser

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hey guys, I finally sold my Klipsch KLF-30s on ebay (due to lack of HT space), and got more from them than I expected. I am so excited... now I can finally get speakers that actually fit into my home theater! My budget is about $1500 total, and I have been doing a lot of research. I'm always open for suggestions of another system, but right now it's between these 5 systems: Orb Mod2 Klipsch Synergy 6 Klipsch RB-61 Klipsch Cinema 10 SVS SBS-01 I don't care about looks--I just want it to sound really good, be in my price range, and be no bigger than bookshelf size. I'm completely split on these systems because the reviews are really great for all 3 of them. Can anyone give me your thoughts? If you've used more than one of these systems, that's even better, but I'll take any thoughts at all. The only two negatives I can think of are: 1. The SVS is supposed to have a massive sub. I have limited room, so that's a negative. 2. The Orbs and Klipsch Cinema 10 system are satelite speakers, so I naturally expect them to have lesser sound quality. But I could be wrong. (Side note: I've always thought my KLF-30s/KLF-C7 sounded kind of bright, but I heard a Klipsch bookshelf speaker at a friend's house the other day, and it didn't sound bright, so I feel okay about getting another Klipsch system.) Pummel, smash, make me look like an idiot. I don't mind! I'm begging for it!! lol But seriously, any thoughts on the above systems (or a suggestion for another)? Thanks, Brian
---
Goodbye Klipsch KLF-30, C7! Hello... something smaller! lol

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   SherardP

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 05:26 PM

Try Polk Audio Rti Series Bookshelfs.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 01 2007 - 09:43 AM

You can order the SVS bookshelf speakers without the sub, then find a smaller sub from somewhere else like the X-Sub from www.av123.com . These are very good speakers for both movies and music. I haven't heard the Orb speakers and not a fan of Klipsch, though you are correct that satellite speakers are always a compromise.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   BrianKiser

BrianKiser

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 02:21 PM

The quest is over! I talked to Ron tonight with SVS, and after tons of research, the SVS SBS-01 really seems like a great system for the price. After changing out that massive sub for the little SB12-Plus sub, I placed my order. I've a little nervous about such a tiny sub, but the SVS guys have impressed me, so I am optimistic!
---

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,642 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 03:11 PM

Actually Brian, if the size of the sub is really an issue for you, what you did is probably the best way to go, and you should be under budget.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane Harg

Shane Harg

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 05:59 PM

Tiny??? It has 12" woofer and a 425 watt amp! That thing is gonna kick @$$! I'd be more concerned about it overpowering your speakers. Plus, it's a sealed cabinet sub - more accuracy w/tighter, more controlled bass.
"BE the miracle!"

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor

• 814 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 12:08 AM

Did you think after talking to Ron of SVS that he'd give you the impression that it was a crummy system for the price?Posted Image

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   BrianKiser

BrianKiser

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 12:36 AM

Heh. That's a good point, and to be honest, my girlfriend said it sounded like a sales pitch. But I've talked to these guys several times, and I'm usually good at spotting salespitch BS, and all I can read from them is a lot of enthusiasm and confidence in their products. I'll let you know the final verdict when it arrives and is hooked up. Posted Image
---

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,566 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 02 2007 - 05:22 AM

The guys at SVS are good people and their products are very good quality, so nothing to worry about. Rarely do you call a company and talk to one of the founders/owners about their products right? I was going to suggest swapping out for the SB-12, but wasn't sure if that would push your budget too high, I think it was a good choice as well. That is one of the few SVS products I haven't heard...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   frogpond

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator

• 173 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 08:35 AM

You'll have to tell us what you think of the SB-12. I got it with the PB-10 and while it is big its an amaing performer and after awhile it seems to have disappeared in the living room.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   BrianKiser

BrianKiser

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted March 02 2007 - 12:54 PM

lol Probably true. I'm still getting used to the idea of having little, bitty speakers. I had my Klipsch KLF-30s for years, and am very used to them. I remember when I first got them, I thought "Man, these things are bright!" But I guess over the years I have attuned myself to them, because they sound about perfect now. It will be interesting to see if the SVS system can impress me or not.
---

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users