What's new

Advice on setup (1 Viewer)

Rollinboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Ok, first off let me say I love the forum and it seems that alot of you know your stuff. I am in the process of putting together a solution for my HT system in my living room. WAF is not an issue. Neither of us are Home Theater buffs by any means so we are not looking for top of the line at all. I will attach pics and layouts of the living room below to get your feed back.
This is what I am looking at right now:
*TV- 60'' Sony Grand Wega (already have it, 2 years old)
*Receiver- Thinking the Dennon AVR 2807 or maybe 3806. Not sure I need that much though
*In Wall L/R- Polk Audio RC85i
*Center- LCi-C
*Surrounds- RC6
*Sub- this is where I have a problem. I don't have anywhere to set it up that will not be completly in the way. Unless I could find a 40 subwoofer cable and them that would put it about 3ft from the best seat in the house. I think that may be too close, but maybe not. Otherwise I am thinking about the in wall setup. I should have plenty of inwall space for something concealed.

I intend to have the following peripherals hooked up
TIVO HD-DVR (Directv)
PS3 (in the near future) 50% for gaming and 50% for Blue Ray capabilities. Do you think a PS3 as my Blue Ray DVD player will be suffucicient?

I assume then you will all reccommend a Receiver with at least 2 HDMI connections.

My budget is the follows:
L/R- $400 max
Center- $500
Rear $200 or so since I will be sitting directly under neath them
Sub- I am negotiable here. I would like to stay in the $400-$500 range
Receiver- Also somewhat negotiable. I would pay a little more but it would have to be justified. $400-$500 preferable

Below is the pics and diagram I would like to mount the L/F/C in the pillers, Surrounds in the cieling directly above the Sofa.

What do you guys think?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At least you take suggestions but this part of the forum deals with building speakers and subwoofers. If you want to discuss what type of sub will work best in an ported box, then you are in the correct place.

Just a few suggestions. Your post is very long and only has two questions. Break it up into smaller sections and post in the appropriate area. The speaker question is best left for the Speaker and Sub section. The PS3 as an HD DVD player is best put in the High Def section. Also your questions are just really asking for our opinions. You will get dozens of answers. Ask specific questions if you want specific answers.

Since you asked what we think, here's my opinion. I'm not crazy about in-wall speakers. I've had to use in-ceiling ones as surrounds in my last house and at a friend's house. They were adequate. That's why I'm going with a set of 6 identical speakers along with a matching center channel.

-Robert

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
"Sub- this is where I have a problem. I don't have anywhere to set it up that will not be completly in the way. Unless I could find a 40 subwoofer cable and them that would put it about 3ft from the best seat in the house. I think that may be too close, but maybe not. Otherwise I am thinking about the in wall setup. I should have plenty of inwall space for something concealed. "

Sounds like you need and Infinite Baffle sub, here is a link:
http://ibsubwoofers.proboards51.com/index.cgi

This would be DIY.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks