What's new

Nine Inch Nails: Beside You In Time BD (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Didn't see this one reviewed so I thought I'd mention it, the color is absolutely stunning with the very dark stage lit with deep purples and blues from the LEDs or with the entire stage bathed in an eerie reds. The picture quality is quite impressive, easily among the better BDs that I've seen so far, and the Dolby True HD audio track was very well done as well. The previous concert DVD, And All that Could Have Been was also impressive with good video quality and a full bitrate dts track (separate dts version...), but this one was able to take it a notch higher IMO. I went to the last show of this tour and really enjoyed it and this disc did a pretty good job of capturing the feel of their stage presence, however the show they put on was a little different than what I saw. In the extras, there are a few tracks from the modified show that we saw, with a projection screen in back and a LED screen in front that gave a very cool 3D effect between the two. In particular, I liked Closer, in which Trent is up front with one LED screen that looks like blood dripping down on to him and filling up the screen. The sound mix was at least as good as the previous DVD if not better, and just like the show, they kept a good mix of tracks from all of the albums. All in all, I give this one a big thumbs up. If you are a fan, it is a must have IMHO.

unotis

Grip
Real Name
Kelly J. Wilson
I agree, and I did see a review on www.hddvd.high-defdigest.com and he gave it a very good review in both picture quality and especially sound quality.

I've been a big fan in the past (in fact at one time they owned a house in New Orleans and I've been in it, they had a large claw foot bathtub set up and working in the middle of one of the front rooms) and am glad they have not become just shadows of their past selves.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Did anyone get the multi-angle feature to work on the BD? It was non-functional on the Sony BDP-S1.

- Steve

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I'll have to check this out since I actually saw this tour live last year. Unfortunately, I wasn't at the greatest place on the floor (slightly angled), and, as to be expected, it was really crowded. Anyway, I'm really excited to be able to just actually watch this.

Tim Dogg

Agent
I picked up my copy on Blu-ray at BB on Tuesday. Really hard to find since it wasn’t in the Blu-ray section. Turns out they only had one left so I got pretty lucky.
I have mixed emotions about this disc. The video quality and sound are awesome to say the least. I think the surrounds are a bit too much, altough I may have to check my settings since Hi-def forums stated they didn’t hear much in the rears except crowd noise. I hear a lot more instruments then I think I should be hearing. Any other thoughts on this?
Second I really like the way the fragile tour was filmed better then The With Teeth tour. I saw both the winter and summer tour last year and to this day was the best concert ive been to in a long time. With that, being there live just blows away seeing this concert on DVD. You just can’t even compare the two. I think they should have filmed a lot more scenes much farther back, esp when there are scenes with front and rear lights and the screen during eraser and Besides you in time. Too many back and forth close ups on the slower songs; you really can’t get the full effect of whats playing on the screen. Just my opinion. NIN is got to be one of the hardest bands to film anyways. I still like the old Trent in the Fragile Days. This whole buff and short hair just doesnt reflect the music.
I will say though watching this Blu-ray on my 109 inch screen with the Panny 1000U 1080P is quite the experience. I then put it on my Samsung 56 and was not even as close to the enjoyment as the big screen.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
At the show I went to, it seemed like everyone was older than me, and I'm 23. I'd guess the average age would be somewhere a bit older than that, considering NIN rose to popularity during the early '90s, when I was only about 10 years old.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Average age at the show seemed a bit higher due to the fact that they also had Bauhaus with them. The BD definitely doesn't compare to the live show, that is a given. My guess is the second angle on those tracks with angle views were fixed from the audience position like the one track on And All That Could Have Been, where you could see the stage from the "crowd" view for the whole song (forgot which track, was an easter egg). No, it didn't seem to work for me either, though I don't know what it is supposed to be, so I can't tell if it is working or not. It is pretty typical of concert DVDs these days for that kind of editing and it does bother me too. AATCHB is one of my favorite concert DVDs.

I'm wondering if there are any easter eggs on this disc like there were on AATCHB... Would have been cool to hear the lead singer of Bauhaus do "Dead Souls" from The Crow like they did at our show, or to see even one Bauhaus song (Bela Lugosi is dead :D )

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I went to the With Teeth tour in MA, and it was good, however, im 26 and I felt like most people there could barely drive. I dont have an HD-DVD or a BR player, I think I saw an ad saying it was out on DVD. I have an upscaling DVD player, I know I wont get HD-DTS or anything but has anyone compared the qualities of this? I may buy it on my way home.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have the SD version of the disc and it looks great to my eyes.

I guess the age of people at the show all depends on each show. I find my experince more like Jean's and there's a lot of younger kids there. That doesn't bother me but I don't have the stamina to get into a pit like most teenagers seem to want to. :)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
You know, this brings up something I want to mention. the other NIN dvd "And All That Could Have Been" (DTS version), has a HORRIBLE LFE track. the volume is so soft, but the cd version of the DVD has huge bass. Anyone else notice this?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Are you kidding? The DTS version rocks my house on a few tracks. The bass on The Great Below is awesome. The disc is mastered very hot overall.

There were a lot of younger kids at the show, as expected, but there were a surprising number of older fans there too at the show I was at...

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I know I am getting old when I do not even recognize these groups:frowning:

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
. Hmm, You know, I havent really listened to it at all since Ive gotten my SVS and Denon receiver. Ill try it out today, maybe Im confused and its the cd version that doesnt have big bass.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Jean D - there is a tonne of bass in the LFE channel of ...and all that could have been.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I tested it out again, and Your all right, I stand corrected. I think before my problem was that I had an insufficient enclosed sub not being pushed very well at all, since then Ive upgraded some equipment. Now I have more bass.

So, I picked up the "Beside You In Time" dvd. The image (when not too dark) is really incredible. leaps and bounds better than "And All That Could Have Been". Im a bit disappointed that nothing from "The Fragile" was played at all during this concert (that is my absolute favorite NIN album). Great dvd none the less.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They played a few at the show, though apparently they didn't make it to the BD. I guess they figured if you wanted to see that stuff, you'd pick up AATCHB. They did at least include "Somewhat Damaged" in the bonus tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks