What's new

Warner Bros Filmation shows? (1 Viewer)

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Does anyone know if WB will come out with a release of the filmation Batman and Aquaman series? I never thought we would have seen star trek: the animated series but I'm guessing Paramount released it due to the success of the BCI filmation titles.

Perhaps WB will do the same?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
We can hope that they release these. Warner did put out several of these cartoons on VHS in the 90s (80s?). Seems like Warner has had success with its animated superhero collections.

There is supposed to be a Warner TV chat coming up. That would be the place to address this.

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Well it looks like both the Batman and Superman shows are rumored to be coming out in June, according to a story on TV Shows on DVD Dot Com today.

This is really good news, hopefully Aquaman and some of the other shorts made (animated Superboy, Teen Titans, Flash, Hawkman, Green Lantern, Justice League, etc.) will follow.

It *would* be really nice if, on 6/26, other shows to tie-in were released, like one of the four remaining seasons of Superfriends that haven't come out yet, or the second season of the live-action 1980's Superboy, or the 1986-1987 Ruby/Spears Superman series done for CBS.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, since the TVSonDVD article mentions the '70s Batman series, it would appear that you can add '60s Batman to that list of unannounced cartoons above.

I for one, am more interested in what they intend to do with their live-action Filmation holding: Shazam!

Hopefully, someone will ask them about this on the next chat (I can never be around when it takes place and on my dial-up, would probably never get in anyway). With BCI releasing Isis this summer, you'd think WB would want to capitalise on it and get in on the act themselves! Someone said they heard there were "mastering" issues with the show. However, the seven episodes I saw on TV Land looked good enough.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This is good news about the Filmation cartoons. Both the Superman and Batman cartoons were a lot of fun (although I think I prefer the 60s Filmation Batman to the 70s).

I wonder if these will be released complete or in volumes? By my count, Superman would need 4 discs, while the 77 Batman would only need 2 or 3 (only had 16 episodes). Superman had 68 installments, usually of the 7 or 12 minute variety. (FWIW, Aquaman had 36 installments of 12 minutes each.)

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I have vague memories of watching the 70s Filmation Batman in reruns during the 80s--does it still hold up to adult scrutiny? I've been spoiled by Batman:TAS (and never warmed up to The Batman series), so I'm wondering if the Filmation Batman and Superman cartoons are worth picking up.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
At the last chat, Warner did say they would be releasing more superhero properties as soon as Justice League was done, specifically more Superfriends. If this is step one, then I'm all for it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
In addition to the Superhero Cartoons I would like to see the following Filmation Series on DVD

1. Fantastic Voyage

2. Lassie's Rescue Rangers (Including the "Saturday Superstar Movie" Pilot!) :D

htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in for the Live-action Shazam (It should have been released around the same time as its sister series, Isis) and the 80s Ruby-Spears Superman (This was cancelled really quickly despite some realy good episodes).

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

I checked tvshowsondvd.com and I believe that Superman will have 36 6 minute episodes from the first season. Superboy might have his own box set later on. I also think there's 6 versions of the Superfriends that haven't been released.

Super Friends (1973)
The All New Superfriends Hour (1977)
The World's Greatest Superfriends (1979)
The Superfriends (1980-1983)
Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show (1984)
Super Powers Team: Galacitc Guardians (1985)

I would like to see Shazam as well.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The problem with the live action Shazam episodes is they were shot on 16mm and really don't look good on DVD. They included the pilot with the 3rd season of Wonder Woman and it appears that they'd need to do a lot of buffing to the picture. Maybe Warners could make a deal with BCI to release the complete Shazam since fans of the Filmation stuff are used to the quality issues.

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas

Yes, Superman will be thr first season and Batman '77 will be the complete series. It's soemwhat annoying that WB didn't put more Superman shorts on to get the running time similar to the Batman, considering they are the same price, perhaps they'll release a second set of Superman along with the Olan Soule/Casey Kasem filmation Batman. :)

mannix

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
tim
I plan on adding superman but I have no interest the batman cartoon coming out if or when the batman cartoon from
the 60s comes out I'll add that i'll also get any other DC super hero shows also if or when it comes out I'd like to add journey to the center of the earth

tjguitar85

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Thomas
Ive never seen the '77 batman, but I'll pick it up.

I really want to see Aquaman Batman, and the Misc DC shorts (Justice League, Teen Titans, Flash, and others)...and it'd be nice if they can continue with superfreinds.

Claude North

Second Unit

I'm with you. I want ALL of the Filmation DC super hero cartoons. I'm also excited about the announced releases and will be picking those up the day they're released.

Two things that I always remembered about the '77 series was that they showed The Riddler in the opening credits (albeit in a purple costume!) but never featured him in an episode, and that those episodes were surprisingly non-violent -- the characters never fought with each other, as they did in the 1960s animated version, or on the live-action series.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I'll also be getting Superman but not Batman 77. But If they do Batman animated from the 60's I'll get it and I really want Aquaman from filmation as well. That is my favorite of their superhero shows.

paste

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

The Riddler was always one of my favorite Batman villains, so I would watch every week to see if he would show up...and he never did. Years later, I found out the reason, the rights to him (and the Scarecrow) were tied up by Hanna Barbera, who were using the character on the Challenge of the Super Friends.

Another bit of trivia, Hanna Barbera wanted to use other Batman villains, like the Joker and Penguin, as well as Captain Marvel and some of his villains, for the Super Friends, but couldn't because Filmation had the rights.

The lack of violence had to do with the censors/networks. They tried to remove anything that kids might replicate and hurt themselves or others.

For those that don't recall the show, AOL has the majority of the episodes available for streaming on their In2tv site.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks