What's new

First Build Suggestions (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'm almost done saving up money for a new computer and was wondering what you guys would think of this:

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Number=5029166

That's THE ABSOLUTE MAX I can spend on a computer. No more. I was wondering what you guys thought about how that looks. I'll be using this computer for music, gaming, graphics, and internet surfing. How does it look?

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Not bad. I assume you already have a decent monitor, keyboard, and speakers... I also assume that you're not gonna OC this...

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser

I prefer Full-Sized cases, name brand PSU's, and a lot of extra power if I needed to add another GPU, HDD, etc.

Ohh ya, and how would I go about hooking this up to a HT?

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
Good luck getting too the 3 ghz mark,I would also try and get a better GPU if your gonna game with it, the 7600 isnt that spectacular for gaming. I would also
suggest that you get a more dependable brand of PSU if your going too overclock.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Well, the reason I want to over-clock it is that I can't afford getting a better GPU or CPU. I'll eventually get one of the 8800gtx's when the prices go down and I can afford it.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
just realize that the cooler master power supply may not let you get that high. just a heads up thats all. remember just because it says its 630 watts or whatever doesnt mean it is. there are lots of really good psu's in that price range that even thou they have a lower wattage rating, they will kick the pants off on that cooler master.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

That Antec case he linked to definitely contains a name brand PSU -- Antec. That Sonata case is one of the best selling cases on NewEgg and it is very solid all around. I had mine for about 2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I prefer a full-sized case, since this is my first build I want some room so I don't mess up. And, there's more upgrade opportunities with a full-sized case. I'm planning to have this computer for a long time and will upgrade it every once in a while. Adding more hard drives, DVD drives, possibly an HD DVD drive and Blue Ray. That's why I want a full-sized case. And, do you guys know a better power supply for that price or cheaper? I can't go much over $850.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
:laugh: :laugh: How weird, yet funny people can be! :D :P

And, anything cheaper for the fan? That's bring me passed $880.

*EDIT*
How would I hook this up to a HT System???

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
it would work with the appropriate y splitter. I doubt your sound card will have rca connection, thats why you need the mini plug.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Ohh, I get it. Well, I'll just get it at Circuit City when I get my HT System.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
If you want a full size case that you can rely on to work for some time, you should look at the Antec P180. The Thermaltake cooler linked to above isn't bad, but it is very very hard to beat the combination of a P180 with a solid powersupply and a Scythe Ninja cooler. The reason I explicitly mention the Ninja is that it works great even fanless in the P180.

You can see how well it works in the P180 review on Silentpcreview - http://www.silentpcreview.com/article255-page6.html is six pages into the review, but on that page is an image of the case with the huge square Ninja in the top-left corner - right adjacent to two big 12cm fans that move lots of air out of the case silently. That air is drawn directly through the cooler... of course, you can tack another 12cm fan on the cooler if you want but there is no need except if you're going to OC like mad. Even then, the Ninja makes sense since if you add the 12cm fan on it it is a supremely efficient cooler.

Disclaimer: i have both the P180 and the Ninja so I'm biased - but I also know it works incredibly well as outlined above. ;)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Is that case more expensive? 'Cuz any more and my wallet is broken...

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

Yeah those cases are a little more especially the P180 Which I had but got rid of when I built up my new system It was too big for to fit in my desk. I am using a COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 now and am very happy with it great air flow, and easy to work with. Not to mention at 45.00 or less with rebates its cheap. Though I think you wanted a full tower and its only a mid tower. If your willing to sacrifice a little space to save some money and maybe put it into a better cooler or PSU it will be worth it especially if you are overclocking. You will be very happy with that Motherboard and processor, I am the Ds3 with a e6400 and overclocked to 2.8ghz it without even changing many settings, and never touching the voltages. I am going to try to push it further eventually. Search the web a bit several forums have good threads with lots of info.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Well, me and my uncle are going to build a custom HT center for my TV, computer, speakers, and other peripherals (DVD players, 5xCD, a pull-out drawer for the mouse and keyboard, etc.) and were going to customize the space for the computer to make it fit (nice and snuggly!). So, is the Mid-Towers that much more worth it than the Large towers? 'Cuz I want a lot of room in order to upgrade with more Hard-Drives, disk drives, graphics cards, etc.

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
Bigger isnt always better, a good midtower will be eons better than a cheap ass large tower, its all about how the case is designed.Most good towers with good asirflow will allow you plenty of room for what you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks