Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

First Build Suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
136 replies to this topic

#1 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 11:37 AM

I'm almost done saving up money for a new computer and was wondering what you guys would think of this:

http://secure.newegg....Number=5029166

That's THE ABSOLUTE MAX I can spend on a computer. No more. I was wondering what you guys thought about how that looks. I'll be using this computer for music, gaming, graphics, and internet surfing. How does it look?
"Bobby is and idiot"

#2 of 137 Rommel_L

Rommel_L

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 01:31 PM

Not bad. I assume you already have a decent monitor, keyboard, and speakers... I also assume that you're not gonna OC this...

#3 of 137 Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 01:49 PM

Power supply appears to be overkill for your application. Buying a separate case and PSU doesn't make sense if you are on the cheap. What about an Antec case? PSU and case in one.http://www.newegg.co....82E16811129155

It sounds like you really like the looks of your original case, though. I'd take the Antec for asthetics and silence, but it's your call.

#4 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
Not bad. I assume you already have a decent monitor
Ya, my TV Posted Image

Quote:
keyboard, and speakers...
You know, Wal-Mart Sells Cheap keybords/mice! (Temporary of course!) and I'll be using my YAMAHA Receiver and 4 bookshelf's until I get enough money to buy a new system. (which I'm getting help on here)

Quote:
also assume that you're not gonna OC this...
Oh yes I will OC this! I'm going to over-clock it to 3.0GHz, nothing TOO huge! (and theres an OK amount of fans in that case, it'll do the job!)

Quote:
Power supply appears to be overkill for your application. Buying a separate case and PSU doesn't make sense if you are on the cheap. What about an Antec case? PSU and case in one.http://www.newegg.co....82E16811129155

It sounds like you really like the looks of your original case, though. I'd take the Antec for asthetics and silence, but it's your call.

I prefer Full-Sized cases, name brand PSU's, and a lot of extra power if I needed to add another GPU, HDD, etc.

Ohh ya, and how would I go about hooking this up to a HT?
"Bobby is and idiot"

#5 of 137 Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 02:00 PM

Good luck getting too the 3 ghz mark,I would also try and get a better GPU if your gonna game with it, the 7600 isnt that spectacular for gaming. I would also
suggest that you get a more dependable brand of PSU if your going too overclock.

#6 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 02:04 PM

Well, the reason I want to over-clock it is that I can't afford getting a better GPU or CPU. I'll eventually get one of the 8800gtx's when the prices go down and I can afford it.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#7 of 137 Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 02:10 PM

just realize that the cooler master power supply may not let you get that high. just a heads up thats all. remember just because it says its 630 watts or whatever doesnt mean it is. there are lots of really good psu's in that price range that even thou they have a lower wattage rating, they will kick the pants off on that cooler master.

#8 of 137 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 09:01 PM

prefer Full-Sized cases, name brand PSU's, and a lot of extra power if I needed to add another GPU, HDD, etc.

That Antec case he linked to definitely contains a name brand PSU -- Antec. That Sonata case is one of the best selling cases on NewEgg and it is very solid all around. I had mine for about 2 years and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

#9 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 09:33 PM

I prefer a full-sized case, since this is my first build I want some room so I don't mess up. And, there's more upgrade opportunities with a full-sized case. I'm planning to have this computer for a long time and will upgrade it every once in a while. Adding more hard drives, DVD drives, possibly an HD DVD drive and Blue Ray. That's why I want a full-sized case. And, do you guys know a better power supply for that price or cheaper? I can't go much over $850.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#10 of 137 Rommel_L

Rommel_L

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg2
Oh yes I will OC this! I'm going to over-clock it to 3.0GHz, nothing TOO huge! (and theres an OK amount of fans in that case, it'll do the job!)

In that case, you'll going to need this and this...

Have fun!!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88.6 Degrees(reviewer)
Pros: Premium Formula. Highest Thermal Conductivity around. Better than OEM paste (as it actually contains silver).

Cons: Doesnt work well with my air conditioner, nor as a salad dressing.

Other Thoughts: Got some on my finger, now my body temperature is 10-15 degrees lower. How do I explain that to my doctor? LESS IS MORE!! USE ONLY TWO RICE SIZED GRAINS (UNCOOKED) WORTH OF ARCTIC SILVER ON THE CENTER OF CPU. SPIN AROUND A FEW TIMES UNILL YOU HAVE A QUARTER SIZED CIRCLE IN THE MIDDLE. DONE AND DONE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skudsta(reviewer)
Pros: Keeps my CPU a tab bit cooler than the stock thermal grease, and lasts longer.

Cons: Does nothing for my love life

Other Thoughts: warning: don't use as lubricant.
Posted Image Posted Image How weird, yet funny people can be! Posted Image Posted Image

And, anything cheaper for the fan? That's bring me passed $880.

*EDIT*
How would I hook this up to a HT System???
"Bobby is and idiot"

#12 of 137 Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 02:25 PM

Too hook it up too your Ht system you just need the proper cable/cables from your sound card too your receiver. something like this should work, in the proper length of course!

http://www.cablestog....2002&sku=29739

#13 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 03:34 PM

Thanks!
Would this work with my on board motherboards audio?

http://www.cablestog....2004&sku=13033

6ft so I could have my computer a little bit away from the subwoofer. I don't want the sub to rattle the computer completely apart!
"Bobby is and idiot"

#14 of 137 Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 01:50 PM

it would work with the appropriate y splitter. I doubt your sound card will have rca connection, thats why you need the mini plug.

#15 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted March 01 2007 - 02:21 PM

Ohh, I get it. Well, I'll just get it at Circuit City when I get my HT System.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#16 of 137 Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted March 03 2007 - 11:32 AM

If you want a full size case that you can rely on to work for some time, you should look at the Antec P180. The Thermaltake cooler linked to above isn't bad, but it is very very hard to beat the combination of a P180 with a solid powersupply and a Scythe Ninja cooler. The reason I explicitly mention the Ninja is that it works great even fanless in the P180.

You can see how well it works in the P180 review on Silentpcreview - http://www.silentpcr...e255-page6.html is six pages into the review, but on that page is an image of the case with the huge square Ninja in the top-left corner - right adjacent to two big 12cm fans that move lots of air out of the case silently. That air is drawn directly through the cooler... of course, you can tack another 12cm fan on the cooler if you want but there is no need except if you're going to OC like mad. Even then, the Ninja makes sense since if you add the 12cm fan on it it is a supremely efficient cooler.

Disclaimer: i have both the P180 and the Ninja so I'm biased - but I also know it works incredibly well as outlined above. Posted Image
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#17 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted March 04 2007 - 06:45 AM

Is that case more expensive? 'Cuz any more and my wallet is broken...
"Bobby is and idiot"

#18 of 137 Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg2
Is that case more expensive? 'Cuz any more and my wallet is broken...

Yeah those cases are a little more especially the P180 Which I had but got rid of when I built up my new system It was too big for to fit in my desk. I am using a COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 now and am very happy with it great air flow, and easy to work with. Not to mention at 45.00 or less with rebates its cheap. Though I think you wanted a full tower and its only a mid tower. If your willing to sacrifice a little space to save some money and maybe put it into a better cooler or PSU it will be worth it especially if you are overclocking. You will be very happy with that Motherboard and processor, I am the Ds3 with a e6400 and overclocked to 2.8ghz it without even changing many settings, and never touching the voltages. I am going to try to push it further eventually. Search the web a bit several forums have good threads with lots of info.
Mike Potter

Last 3 films watched
Natural Born Killers (DVD)
Duece Bigalow 2 (theater)Forrest Gump (1080I)

#19 of 137 bobbyg2

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 01:24 PM

Well, me and my uncle are going to build a custom HT center for my TV, computer, speakers, and other peripherals (DVD players, 5xCD, a pull-out drawer for the mouse and keyboard, etc.) and were going to customize the space for the computer to make it fit (nice and snuggly!). So, is the Mid-Towers that much more worth it than the Large towers? 'Cuz I want a lot of room in order to upgrade with more Hard-Drives, disk drives, graphics cards, etc.
"Bobby is and idiot"

#20 of 137 Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor

• 523 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 03:09 PM

Bigger isnt always better, a good midtower will be eons better than a cheap ass large tower, its all about how the case is designed.Most good towers with good asirflow will allow you plenty of room for what you want.

Back to Computers

Forum Nav Content I Follow