Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

universal May releases

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnPhi

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 06:18 AM

From DVD times

Skeleton Key
The Hurricane
Smokey and the Bandit

http://www.dvdtimes....contentid=64206

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 07:39 AM

Nothing that we can call must haves...in my eyes at least.

But you know what, when I look at the titles the Universal has under their belt, they are running pretty dry except for the blockbusters that they don't want to bring out right away.

I've just examined the list of movies from the 80's and on (sorry I was born in '78, so I am focusing on these) and they just don't have anything to put out that will bring any attention to HD DVD.

You have:
Jaws, ET, JP 1 2 & 3, Gladiator, American Pie's, Back to the Future's and a few others, but they aren't going to release these unless absolutely necessary.

And you can say all you want about the rumors...but until I see it happen I won't believe it.

So all you have left coming out of Universal is their not so great selections. And I dare to look at the catalog and pick out ten films that are not blockbusters and that have not been released yet and tell me that they are a big deal.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,372 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 08:23 AM

At this rate Universal might as well come out and say we do not give a dam about HD-DVD! Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   JohnPhi

JohnPhi

Stunt Coordinator

• 195 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 09:39 AM

Yeah I thought those were horrible selections, except for smokey, but I did not want to be the first to say it, but yeah they suck

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,372 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 09:54 AM

I am interested in seeing Skeleton Key and I enjoy Smokey and the Bandit but Universal needs to get there sh-t together. That list of 3 movies sucks! If thats what they think people are going to run out and buy players for, then Universal is smoking some really good crack! Posted Image

What about Back To The Future, Jurassic Park, ET or Bourne Identity? Universal is acting like all there great titles are allready out. This is sad and it shows that maybe Universal is out of touch and may not be that commited to HD-DVD as they have claimed. Universal is talking the talk but they are not walking the walk. Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted February 28 2007 - 06:50 AM

There might be a wrinkle in the plans:
Quote:
Currently, Universal Studios Home Entertainment seems to have retracted the 3 listings of HD DVD titles originally scheduled for retail on May 22. They are The Hurricane, The Skeleton Key and Smokey and the Bandit. Guess it may be an indication of a new release date?
This is from an HD DVD fansite that has actually been ahead of most major sites with HD DVD news, but it's still a blog, so IMO take with a grain of salt.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother