Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mel Karmazin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 08:43 AM

Well Mel Karmazin was on Howard this am and he answered a few questions

#1 - Each companies hardware will still be used after the merger. The exclusive content will be available on each set of hardware as well. So XM'ers can get Stern, NFL etc and Sirius users will get MLB and Oprah

#2 - There was no mention of Opie & Anthony and their contract

#3 - There will not be a price increase and there is a chance subscription prices will go down. However he hinted that this will only happen if they use an ala carte system where the user gets to pick and choose their programming.

#4 - There will no longer be any music channels with commercials. There was no mention on which music channels will make it and which will not.

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 12:36 AM

#2 - There was an offhand mention by Robin about "other people" on XM who also broadcast on Free FM and Mel said he strongly believes exclusive in content and has been this way since he joined Sirius, but he would honor the contracts that he has to.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Karynak

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 05 2007 - 01:12 AM

What troubles me is that even though he did say that any subscription agreement entered into at the present will be honored after the merger, it does not (to some degree) answer my question: What happens to those of us that purchased a lifetime subscription a year or two ago?

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Brent T

Brent T

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 08:05 AM

They are going to honor those as well. It was asked during the show and he said they will honor all current subscriptions. Not sure how that doesnt cover your question though.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Karynak

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 07 2007 - 02:54 AM

I must have taken it differently, but He said " Any current subscription that is entered into will be honored" The lifetime is not offered any more. I just wanted someone to come out and say that the lifetime subscription will be honored. I called SIRIUS customer service and they said that monthly subscriptions will be honored but there was no mention of the lifetime. Hopefully his statement covers that but I wanted a more cut and dry answer.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   TPhillips44

TPhillips44

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted March 19 2007 - 03:45 PM

OK. A merger sounds great. Now just make the stock (SIRI) go up again Mel!