Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony announces $599 Blu-ray player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,119 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted February 26 2007 - 05:41 AM

http://news.yahoo.co....u_ray_player_2

NEW YORK - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news). said Monday it is bringing out a cheaper player for Blu-ray discs early this summer, a crucial step in its battle to make the high-definition format the replacement for DVDs.

The BDP-S300 will cost $599, yet will have the same capabilities as the $999 BDP-S1 Sony is currently selling, said Randy Waynick, senior vice president of the home products division of Sony Electronics.

#2 of 13 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 05:51 AM

So will the BDP-S1 be put out to pasture? Eitherway, this is good news for the BD group. And unlike the S1, the S300 will play CD's for those that have been yelling for that.

#3 of 13 RonR

RonR

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 06:31 AM

This is good news. Still waiting on their 2nd gen player myself...

#4 of 13 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hopefully this will put pressure on Panasonic to announce a REAL 2nd gen player (not just a firmware-upgraded 1st gen), complete with a lower price tag.

Of course, if Sony would provide 7.1 analog outs instead of just 5.1, I'd consider their unit.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#5 of 13 Shawn Perron

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted February 26 2007 - 07:59 AM

I wonder if they are doing this to stop the pain from people buying PS3s with no intention of buying games. If they are losing as much per unit as claimed on the PS3, this would seem like the perfect price to get those not interested in games to veer away from the PS3. Any way you look at it, it seems like a win for those that have been holding off.

#6 of 13 Neal_C

Neal_C

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted February 27 2007 - 11:38 AM

I think they are most definitely doing this to get people away from the PS3 solely for BluRay. Personally, I think the price needs to come down to about $499 to peak my interest. At $599, I'd still get the PS3 on the off chance I might want to play some games on it ( I am a gamer I just prefer my 360, but that is beside the point).

#7 of 13 Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Executive Producer

• 12,068 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 05 2007 - 05:50 PM

$599 will be the MRSP. I would imagine that your will able to get this at a lower price once it hits the market.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#8 of 13 Neal_C

Neal_C

Second Unit

• 476 posts

Posted March 06 2007 - 02:57 AM

Hopefully it will have a lower street cost as that would make it even more attractive for consumers and for Sony getting people away from the PS3 for just movies.

I'll have to find the article but I read something the other day that someone at Sony, can't remember exactly who, said they could see Blu-Ray player prices down around $299 by years end.

#9 of 13 Karynak

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 02:14 AM

I am just now getting into the HD DVD & Blu-ray mood, and I don't know a huge amount about either. I will probably buy a Blu-ray player, but I have a question or 2. Are they capable of playing DVD-Audio or SACD's? Is there a list out there of future Blu-ray and HD-DVD's? I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I will buy whichever offers the Trilogy.

#10 of 13 Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karynak
I am just now getting into the HD DVD & Blu-ray mood, and I don't know a huge amount about either. I will probably buy a Blu-ray player, but I have a question or 2. Are they capable of playing DVD-Audio or SACD's? Is there a list out there of future Blu-ray and HD-DVD's? I am a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I will buy whichever offers the Trilogy.

None will play DVD-Audio or SACD except I believe the PS3 supports SACD to some degree although I have forgotten the specifics. It may be only over HDMI or maybe only stereo over analog. It didn't make my universal DVD-A/SACD player go to the closet so I didn't buy it and forgot the extent of support. So Star Wars would be your must have title, I think there are others that feel that way and I don't recall the speculation on that series, but it hasn't been announced to the best of my knowledge.

Chris

#11 of 13 Karynak

Karynak

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted March 08 2007 - 02:53 AM

I thought I ready in HT Magazine that 20th Cent. Fox had signed with Sony for Blu-ray. I will have to research it to make sure. Since you brought up "Must have Titles" here are mine:

1. Star Wars
2. LoTR
3. Indiana Jones

Maybe the best bet is to buy a PS3? Kind of the best of both worlds.

#12 of 13 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,028 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 01:09 PM

Has there been any news about what version of HDMI the BDP-S300 will use? I am still saving for a Blu-ray player and would like to end up with the Panasonic or Pioneer player. But there is allways the chance my finances may force me to go with the upcoming Sony BDP-S300?
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#13 of 13 Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter

• 1,270 posts

Posted March 16 2007 - 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karynak

The Panasonic DMP-BD10 plays DVD-Audio.

Chris

Forum Nav Content I Follow